Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Badsmerf

Verified Member
  • Posts

    3,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Badsmerf

  1. That is hoping he can continue the same level of offensive output into the MLB, which is unlikely. What exactly would you consider an offensive black hole? That is exactly what I'm profiling him as right now. Perhaps next season he will prove otherwise.
  2. To beat the dead horse... that Vielma ranking. This dude is struggling with getting on base in A ball... I absolutely hate the idea of this guy on a 25-man roster. To me, his glove makes no difference if he can only muster a below .600 OPS. His last stretch of games was good. What is more sustainable .286 BABIP 1st half or.356 BABIP 2nd half with no power? Revere is an example of a guy that has stuck in the MLB despite no power. He was a consistent .300 hitter that had about a .050 ISO, so its possible Vielma works out. I get at this point any contributor would be a good thing, but I think other guys have a better chance than him.
  3. The commentators were pretty much calling for croft! Remember, this was a close game until Brooks broke a 70 yard td. The offense was anemic before that. Yeah, I'm going to say a qb sucks when in a blowout win he only has 50 yards passing. As far as the northwestern and Stanford, I think it was a fluke. Northwestern has a nice defense, but defense alone only gets you so far. At some point, a team needs to put up points. Northwestern won't, and the gophers will struggle to worth a one dimensional offense. But hey, that is one more dimension than nwu has.
  4. Leidner sucked again today. Luckily, defense was great and running game beat it up. O line completely dominated that game. Fun to watch that happen. Defensive line was good for the first time all season. When both lines are winning, pretty good chance the team wins. It was nice to give croft some playing time. Hopefully he continues to get snaps each week since the rs was burned. BTW, I said northwestern wasn't very good, and it showed today. That team won't win games against competent offenses.
  5. I didn't say anything about their defense not being good. Their offense is almost as bad as the gophers. That, is what will hinder them going forward. Most big ten teams have a legitimate qb. I don't see them winning the west.
  6. This offense has been painful to watch. I don't understand why it has taken this long for kill to pull leidner. After seeing croft, how the **** did kill start the year with leidner? Did throws a nice ball. Guys in stupid rube chat tried dating his ball had no zip, I thought the complete opposite. Nice release, accurate, and gets rid of it on time. He's still a freshman, so he obviously will make mistakes. Would have been nice to make them against Kent state and Ohio. Still, the season is not lost since Iowa beat Wisconsin. I really don't think nw is a very good team. Again, a competent qb at least puts points on the board and the game is completely different. I'm not giving up, hopefully nobody else does.
  7. Leidner did play well today. Hopefully he can continue. I was disheartened by the defense. Up front they get no pressure and can't plug holes. Next weekend is going to be tough, the d and o line needs to play better. How about that Brooks kid? I like the tandem of him and Smith. Brooks reminds me of Toby Gearhart.
  8. If leidner plays poorly again, he better catch some pine. You can't just keep throwing him out there when it is so obvious to everyone he is hurting the team.
  9. Watched the game last night. Worst offensive game I've seen in my life. Play calling didn't even give them a chance. Unbelievable. The box was stacked the whole game, yet there was no attempt to burn them. Watching the other big ten teams.... Its going to be tough to get 8 wins I think.
  10. That is a bigger part imo. The ability of more teams to make the post season. In years past, the playoffs are almost already decided by now. The division leaders and wc would be pretty much decided. That made for bad baseball. Teams cashed in. Bad teams still cash in, but look how many are still playing meaningful games.
  11. I'm a fan of the game. I don't mind the one game winner take all. Look how awesome last year's games was. It's a wild card game for a reason.
  12. I like those takes. If Leidner struggles I hope they at least let Perra or Rhoda see some time the next few weeks. I never want to see streveler under center again. The dude can run, find a different way to use his speed. Poljan will hopefully bring some talent next season. He is raising on prospect charts. I really don't see why they haven't been able to get a juco transfer or an sec transfer the past few years. I just hope Kill has the guts to pull the plug on Leidner when the time comes. If his play is obvious to us, it is to the coaching staff too. Leidner is a great leader, so I'm sure that complicates this decision.
  13. How is that not balanced? A bad player doesn't win games, they lose them. The games the gophers win are not because Leidner carries them, it's because they are a good team with a bad qb. In his full season plus his rs freshman season, I think we have enough evidence by now to make a firm evaluation of him as a qb. Watching him this season, nothing has changed. He is still the same guy as last season. That doesn't mean the gophers won't win games with him, because they won a bunch last year. If he continues to start they will win games still in 2016. However, I can confidently say with Leidner the offense is a liability and the weakest link is at qb. Look what happened at Illinois last season. Couple fluke plays and an inferior team can beat the gophers because they don't have a passing game. This defense will win games, like forcing 4 turnovers against csu. Until they have a different qb they will not beat elite (top 20) teams.
  14. All of those wins were not because of Leidner, rather in spite of him. Put a competent qb on the field against Bucky and they win that game too. Look, Leidner is tough as nails and a great competitor. I love his grit and desire, unfortunately he is just not a talented passer. I don't think crofts red shirt is that big of a deal. We're not looking at Tebow or Johnny football here. I don't know if croft provides a better chance to win or not, but it's pretty difficult to watch your leader bounce pass and air mail open receivers. Does he get the spot guaranteed just because he has experience? How many true freshman examples do you and kill need to see experience doesn't win games. Talent does.
  15. It's too late at that point. They are getting their guy in next year. Let croft have a shot at these soft teams and see if he provides more to the team. Didn't have to take over full time, but mitch is just a bad qb. We already know what he provides, and it ain't much.
  16. Suzuki also has an ops over 800 this month, and didn't have a terrible August either (673). This injury came while he has been hitting his best.
  17. Wait... Pinto didn't a September call up? Man that's disappointing. I hope he gets healthy, I'm not sure I can stomach another year of Suzuki getting 600 abs (or even a moderately close 400).
  18. Jorge used to be my adopt a prospect. I think he has a good shot to make it, but I'm not sure how much upside he has. This is certainly an encouraging year for him.
  19. I'd much rather they trade Mauer and put Sano at 1b... but that likely isn't going to happen. Maybe the Rockies will trade contracts and take Mauer for Reyes...
  20. I'm so pumped about Duffey! This guy is a converted closer, with an organization that has no successful history doing it, he wasn't nationally known, been under the radar his entire pro career. Talk about an underdog. Thing is, kid is for real. Has life on his fb, good control, filthy breaking pitch, and a change that is coming along. Look at what Kluber did with Cleveland, under the radar guys can still succeed in this league.
  21. Nice showing by the dangerous duo! I think having them together will push them to be better. Is there a pitch count somewhere? I'm curious to see how many each threw. Looking through Stewart's game log, one of his strike outs was in a key spot. Likely saved him at least a run.
  22. Nice start indeed. Thanks for the link. About time to move up a 21yo college prospect from rookie ball?
  23. These bad contacts are starting to pile up. To me, that is why you spend money on elite players, like Mauer was. Paying for mediocrity is dumb, because it's easy to find. Hughes shouldn't have been extended, Suzuki either, or Pelfrey (although he has pitched well and might still get traded). The Nolasco signing has been a disaster. Luckily, a few bad contacts can be overcome.
  24. Ahhh, I lost my post. Now I have to go through this again. I think the argument here is that he is a "legitimate" prospect. To that statement, I couldn't disagree more. Sure, he has had a nice few months bringing his AVG up. But AVG is a small part of a hitter. His ISO is nearly stagnant, which suggests he isn't hitting the ball any better than he was early, just that more hits are falling. As a comparison, lets look at Nick Gordon, and his progress this season. April .267 .305 .347 15K 4BB .08 ISO May .204 .305 .233 23K 13BB .029 ISO June .293 .370 .341 11K 8BB .048 ISO July .309 .349 .423 19K 7BB .114 ISO August .358 .393 .509 7K 3BB .149 ISO I realize Gordon is a top draft pick, and considered a better prospect. My point isn't to compare the two, rather, the progression. As you can see, Gordon has shown some amazing progress through the year. Most importantly, his plate discipline and ISO increase with his AVG. So not only is he getting more hits, he is driving more balls. Vielma still could have a future in the MLB. There are tons of examples of guys like him that hit just enough while playing excellent defense to stick around. His move to AA next year will be a pretty good test for him.
  25. I remember it. I do remember the same conclusion as well. I believe it came to light when Revere was in rf. I recall the same conclusion, but I don't think Gardy deserves credit for the decision to put Revere there. I don't remember who presented the data, just reading it.
×
×
  • Create New...