Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oldgoat_MN

Verified Member
  • Posts

    2,437
  • Joined

  • Last visited

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Oldgoat_MN

  1. Parables can be such wonderful things. Thank you
  2. The teams all have more money and this FA class is not that strong. I say Tanaka gets a Darvish salary, with Darvish money for the post as well.
  3. Amazing to think of how bad our pitching numbers would be without Perkins, our offensive numbers without Mauer, or our overall record without an excellent year from our bullpen. So, um, is anything going to change? Apparently the coaches all did a great job, so we'll see if any adjustments at all are in the cards. Maybe not. Maybe everything is just fine.
  4. * should probably note * The 'catch lightning in a bottle' reference is a tacky and tasteless way I refer to what I think the Twins do way too much of every year. I would rather they signed players who were clearly going to be an upgrade. But that's just me.
  5. My point? There just is not room to keep all these AAAA pitchers. We lack a true starting five yet have to start cutting in a big way. Thank you gentleman for giving us your best, good luck and good bye! It is appropriate to thank these young men and wish them well. I also think it is appropriate to move on. Sign some other players and try to catch lightning in a bottle. Perhaps today Pedro Hernandez is better than Minnie von Moocher, but Pedro is not a long term answer. Let's see how Minnie does. And I really agree that it would be terribly wrong to block any of the younger kids because we are hanging on to guys who have topped out at AAA. Tough choices, but they have to be made.
  6. I'm not inside the head of any of these kids coming up, but I have to believe that some of that arrogance could turn to attentiveness when you are being told what to do by a Hall of Fame player. I believe we'll know Gardy's fate before the World Series is over. (my guess)
  7. I would rather the Twins had kept JJ Hardy. Cannot fully express how annoyed I was when the Twins tossed him aside. As evidenced yesterday, part of Gomez will always be bush league.
  8. Oldgoat_MN

    Wow!

    He can ask for the moon and he stars, too. He's awfully talented, but I see him being offered 8 years, $200M. Makes me think less of him that he's making it about A-Rod's salary.
  9. Thanks for gathering all this data. Interesting stuff. Amazing how bad it would be if we hadn't drafted Radke and stolen Santana.
  10. Wow gil4 - you would hang on to Hendriks but release the MVP of AAA in Chris Colabello? I find all of your post interesting, but why give Hendriks a real chance and not Colabello? Also, I'm not certain of all the rules but they will probably only let you remove Roenicke from the 40-man once. Interesting list. And I certainly agree about Mahay and Hoey.
  11. When paying Free Agents the Twins have paid the least as an average salary. They have not, however, paid even close to the least when looking at $/WAR. Going cheap isn't always the cheapest way to go.
  12. I believe that managers can make a huge difference. They can drive their players crazy or keep them upbeat. They can allow them to get sloppy or demand excellence. They can demand excellence while being total jerks or they can make every player proud of what they are accomplishing. I think there is a lot of evidence to support that.
  13. Oldgoat_MN

    Morneau

    I am really happy for Justin. Went to the Pirates site to watch that play. Justin got rid of that ball in a hurry. Very cool.
  14. Seems really odd that the Twins don't have any Latin American coaches. I understand that Cuellar speaks Spanish, but he is a native born USA citizen (from somewhere in TX) and he is 61 years old. I think some of these young kids need a younger guy who has some shared experience to talk to. But what do I know? I'm just an Old Goat.
  15. For the second half of this season Dozier has the 6th highest WAR of the 23 that 'qualify'. All 5 of those above him have a higher BABIP, so it's not just luck. (stats here if you want to look for yourself) I think we need to see Dozier next year to see what we really have. I believe that just assuming Rosario is better is premature.
  16. This was great Bob! Thank you
  17. I give you an A! I'm a notoriously nice guy, though.
  18. Would the real Trevor Plouffe please step forward? Even if it's Bad Trevor. I just need to know. That Good Trevor, popping up occasionally, kinda drives me nuts.
  19. I agree that brain injuries trump stubborn. Also, I have read that ESPN people say Sano's arm is too strong to hide at 1B. If he cannot stay at 3B they want to see him in RF.
  20. Done with the Astros. Do we have any games against the White Sox left this year?
  21. Both Chris Colabello and Chris Parmelee have absolutely raked in AAA, Parmelee last year and Colabello this year. Most players with those kinds of statistics in AAA can be successful in MLB. Not all. It doesn’t always work. The way Parmelee hit this year is certainly a concern. Was the sudden inability to hit caused by a change in his approach or the approach the pitchers take to him? Is Colabello going to start hitting MLB pitching like he belongs there? He has an .863 OPS in his last 14 days covering 39 PA, but you can always find a bright spot if your Sample Size is Small enough. And whatever you believe about the above questions, do you: 1. insist on putting the 5’ 10” Arcia at 1B? 2. sign Justin Morneau? 3. leave the position to Mauer? 4. put Colabello there and expect him to win the position? 5. Put forth a different solution not mentioned here? I anxiously await the profound wisdom I just know will soon be coming my way.
  22. I think the 'Twins Way' was more about being solid in the fundamentals. Excellent defense, throwing to the right base, hitting the cut-off man, etc. And hustle, of course. If you don't play hard then someone who does play hard will beat you, often whether they have better players or not. I like the point in the article about pitching. No question that will be what makes the future Twins a powerhouse or not.
  23. I appreciate optimism, but Gouger is in La-La-Land if he still thinks he's going to win. Stinky is just mean. The Twins win 38% from here on out? Mean. Go Scruffy!
  24. And he's like 15 years old or something. You rock!
  25. Well said. Thank you. You speak for a lot of us.
×
×
  • Create New...