Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

OvertheHill

Verified Member
  • Posts

    1,163
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

 Content Type 

Profiles

News

Minnesota Twins Videos

2026 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects Ranking

2022 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Minnesota Twins Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2023 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

The Minnesota Twins Players Project

2024 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

2025 Minnesota Twins Draft Pick Tracker

2026 Minnesota Twins Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by OvertheHill

  1. Talking “Modern day baseball” is akin to my yelling at the kids on my lawn. I hope I live long enough to see the game move back to value high contact/situational hitting skills….but probably not.
  2. I’m probably in the group of people with selective memory and assumed Santana was going to help. Then when I saw him pop up that 3-1 hittable pitch I realized why he was signed (relatively) cheaply. My hope is that he doesn’t suck up too many AB’s ala Joey Gallo before we’re playing AK full time at 1st.
  3. Jackson can’t survive down the middle of the plate.
  4. Middle middle hanger. Awesome.
  5. Handedness be damned, Ober settling into a groove so you yank him for a mediocre reliever at 68 pitches. Vintage Baldelli.
  6. Injury or no, I think he's still playing excellent in the field at least. I'm not rushing to defend him; he's being paid to be a superstar and team leader; pretty hard to do that when you're struggling for half a season at the plate. But there are some signs of improvement there.
  7. Most of what I've heard (or read) has to do with concerns about his power returning after the wrist surgeries. Most I assume actually like his approach to hitting to all fields and his fielding at 1st has been fine IMO.
  8. I too am amazed at this half season of excellent starting pitching but the other parts of "winning baseball" just aren't there. I see the Yankees fired their hitting coach. Twins? No - we're good. Going to die on this hill, apparently. The BP is shaky at best. Had chances to bolster that in the off season but it didn't happen. As has been been pointed out by many posters, the energy and apparent morale of this squad is in the toilet. I'm not in the locker room or dugout, but it does not appear that Rocco is the man for this particular moment. Roster construction is primarily on the FO, and it's been horribly flawed since Day 1 of this season. The record speaks for itself. Sell, blow it up, whatever. Build for next year and beyond.
  9. Same. 2 out of 3. Hopefully more contact/less K's. Looks like 3 strong starts and we'll see how the BP holds up. Go Twins!
  10. This was very well written and echoes what a lot here have been observing since 2019. It is very much an organizational issue; hopefully they're turning this thing around. With this kind of pitching, even a little improvement in approaches to plate appearances will have a pretty dramatic effect over the rest of this season.
  11. Apologies for inadvertently fanning the flames. The game thread from yesterday's game should be a love fest. Plenty of season left to discuss/debate other topics.
  12. I've drawn the ire of some posters here by asking essentially the same question: if Buck can go all-out at the plate and on the bases, why is it not even a possibility of him getting in CF a game or two a week?
  13. I obviously have no insight into what Buxton's real physical situation is, but am I the only fan out here that thinks it's strange that he can bat, run to first, steal a base, etc. but ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BE ALLOWED TO PLAY IN THE FIELD FOR HALF A SEASON? Of course if the team were doing well, and he was truly adjusted to just being a DH (and producing like one) we might not care as much. But it messes up so much just plugging him in at DH day after day and making MAT an everyday player.
  14. I'm sort of with you on this, realizing that there are strong opinions to the contrary. I loved watching Arreaz play the game I learned to play, remembering how Rod Carew played. I did however note that the team was having a hard time projecting him as a 2nd or 3rd baseman, and his knees were already an ominous sign. Given the frustrations with the starting rotation, I get the "sell high" thinking that played into the trade. I'd still like him to be here, but I got the logic. Time will tell how long Arreaz will be a top-of-the-order asset in this launch angle/exit velocity obsessed era.
  15. Agree with this. I too am puzzled at his power drop off but think he deserves at least some of the at credit for the pitching success so far. I like Jeffers, and hope he gets more starts, but I don't think moving on from Vazquez should be a priority with so much other dysfunction with this organization right now.
  16. I'm retirement age. I honestly wonder if I'll live long enough to see: the Twins owners put together a front office that can be at least league average at drafting/talent evaluation, player development, and on-field product, a shift in organizational hitting philosophy away from the all and/or mostly nothing approach to plate appearances, an renewed emphasis on fundamentals e.g. base running, moving up runners, throwing to the right base, etc. some semblance of continuity in line ups, batting orders, if only for the fans sake some emphasis on conditioning, wellness and injury prevention so that "injuries" aren't the on-going excuse for everything a higher level of outward sincerity towards the fanbase regarding the availability or limitations of players Posted it before, but I'll repeat - I'd like to feel good about buying my granddaughter a Twins replica jersey, with a players name that would be meaningful to her, but I'm stumped. I could go on, but you probably got my point. Oh yeah, GO TWINS!
  17. That Rosenthal piece wasn't scathing enough IMO but it's nice to know we aren't all taking crazy pills here
  18. That chart points to the organizational disease that has taken over this team. A really broken approach to preparedness and pitch recognition. The stuff in the job descriptions of managers and hitting coaches. Tweaking lineups, platoons and batting orders ain’t going to fix that, but the FO is apparently going to die on that hill.
  19. Thank you for that observation. There has been something really wrong with the energy surrounding this team for a while. I suggest it starts with the FO, trickles down through the coaching staff, and lands on the players who look like they're in a daze a lot of the time. This stuff will not fix itself.
  20. According to ESPN, two Twins currently have WAR over 1.0; Castro 1.6 and Jeffers 1.3. Notice that does not include anyone really supposed to be carrying this team right now according to the FO. That is the same number of 1.0 WAR players as Oakland btw. That's putrid, and for perspective, Baltimore currently has 7 players with WAR over 1.0, and one (Hays) over 2.0. Going to continue to be ugly. Blow this thing up I say. Start the rebuild. That's the only way this front office is going to have (or get?) any credibility with me.
  21. Thanks for the deep dive Ted. It helps to confirm what I'm thinking when I'm watching him pitch, mainly, that he's mostly doing a good job out there. Looks the part, anyway. Curious - if the defense behind him isn't really helping lately, how do we expect that to change for the better? Castro, who I like for flexibility and energy on the base paths, doesn't project to be above average at any position. Julien is a work in progress, and whoever replaces Kepler (eventually) likely won't be a better fielder.
  22. Fair point. I did read the article, and appreciate the attempt to provide numbers to push back on the narrative. But Pagan has demonstrated over and over that he can’t be trusted, and I don’t think there’s going to be enough opportunities to prove otherwise. To me its different than when Jax earned trust last year, had a bad patch this year, and seems to have recovered. There’s nothing in Pagans resume gives me hope. He’s on borrowed time IMO.
  23. That's called cherry picking stats. That's like picking selected Joey Gallo games and saying that when he's on, he's actually one of the better hitters in baseball. Not. Buying. It.
  24. Granted when we’re playing up to our capabilities we should be taking at least 3 out of 4 from a team like Detroit, I’m super encouraged by: Maeda being really effective, Lewis continuing to progress, Jax setting down and doing his thing. Stewart seemingly coming out of nowhere to really help this bullpen. Kepler apparently ignoring all the “hate” from me and others on this site. Rocco for getting fired up. And my wife’s renewed interest in the club since she saw Rocco’s adorable daughter at the presser. Well played Rocco.
×
×
  • Create New...