Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Chucking baseballs onto the field in disgust

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BeatTheRich

BeatTheRich

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Spotted last night in The Athletic:

"Fans were throwing baseballs onto the field from the Yankee Stadium bleachers to the point where the officials had to stop the game with the Yankees at bat in the bottom of the eighth... It was a display of some baseball fans making an active choice to sever any future sentimentality toward a ball they could display on their office desk, because as the game played out, they didn’t want to remember the experience of watching the Yankees rack up three fielding errors, a total of three hits and allow seven walks to their most annoying division rival. They wanted their ire to be seen, and not just heard."

Given the disappointing start of the Twin Cities' own local nine, is there any chance we could see something similar play out on Target Field? I'm nonviolent by nature and don't like to see childish behavior celebrated and embraced. I also worry that some unfortunate outfielder will get plonked on the head. And yet I'm also a fan. I want to see good baseball, the Twins are not playing good baseball of late, several rants on Twins Daily are currently circulating, and this little bit of street theater has caught my eye. It's certainly captured Aaron Boone's attention as well. He's said, "You kind of hate seeing that. Unfortunately, a handful of people end up doing it and it looks bad for everyone."

So what say you? A pointless, childish display of lashing out? Or a heartfelt plea to see better baseball played by an underachieving team? Are there better ways of motivating the Twins? What do you suggest?

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 6,346 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

No, it'd take a lot more for this to happen in Minnesota... a lot. New Yorkers are passionate, I've been to a couple games there, and it's always loud. Twins games are quiet and I think it's a lot more casual fans who don't care close to as much as the Yanks. We suffered through the Total System Failure season without any of this, so that's why I say "a lot".

#3 MNT1996

MNT1996

St Paul Saints

• 2,286 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:25 AM

The fans over in NY are a double edged sword. The tremendous amount of pressure they put on Yankees players pushes all of them to perform at their highest level, but if they don't, the fans do stupid stuff like this. 

In general I think Twins fans need to apply a little more pressure to the players and front office when the team doesn't meet expectations, but not in barbaric ways like this. 

#4 shimrod

shimrod

• 154 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

I assume the "Chucking" in the post title is a reference to the infamous dollar dogs demonstration in MN?

• ScrapTheNickname, Brandon, LewFordLives and 2 others like this

#5 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,825 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:05 PM

I assume the "Chucking" in the post title is a reference to the infamous dollar dogs demonstration in MN?

https://youtu.be/6PL1oQhcqzQ
  • nicksaviking likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#6 Rigby

Rigby

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 205 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:32 PM

No, it'd take a lot more for this to happen in Minnesota... a lot. 

Armen Terzian says hi.....

• USAFChief, VOMG and Nine of twelve like this

#7 cHawk

cHawk

Wichita Wind Surge

• 870 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:40 PM

In general I think Twins fans need to apply a little more pressure to the players and front office when the team doesn't meet expectations, but not in barbaric ways like this. 

Do you have any ideas?

Just do it. (Unless an idiot would do it... then don’t)

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,765 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:57 PM

The Yankees lost again today.I don't believe that fan misbehavior causes players to try harder.

• ashbury likes this

#9 MNT1996

MNT1996

St Paul Saints

• 2,286 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

Do you have any ideas?

Not really. I just enjoy complaining about it online rather than doing anything about it.

• ashbury, USAFChief, LewFordLives and 1 other like this

#10 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,767 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

Not really. I just enjoy complaining about it online rather than doing anything about it.

Well, if you enjoy complaining about it just half as much as I enjoy reading complaints about it, why, then I have enjoyed it twice as much as you!

• glunn and MNT1996 like this

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. -- Douglas Adams

#11 BeatTheRich

BeatTheRich

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:40 PM

The Yankees lost again today.I don't believe that fan misbehavior causes players to try harder.

How about management and the manager then? Might it inspire a few benchings of slumping sluggers and some early call-ups of highly regarded talents such as, say, Larnach and Duran? Joined to fewer off-days for stars like Buxton, Donaldson, and Cruz, and more innings from frontline starters (itself the subject of another thread)?

The team needs a spark. I like Rocco, but I'd also like to see a little more passion and urgency from the guy. Has he ever been tossed from a game?

It's the opposite of take my ball and go home. It's more like take your ball, this stinks.

#12 MNT1996

MNT1996

St Paul Saints

• 2,286 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:49 PM

The team needs a spark. I like Rocco, but I'd also like to see a little more passion and urgency from the guy. Has he ever been tossed from a game?

It's the opposite of take my ball and go home. It's more like take your ball, this stinks.

Twins need to hire an anger translator for Rocco. Maybe Gardy is available 

• ashbury likes this

#13 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 595 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

At least the Yankees are in the field.

#14 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,636 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:17 AM

"Pick a team and root for their demise" - Lewis Black

Bad behavior, bad baseball .... it's all comedy to me when it comes to the New York Yankees and their fans.I hope it gets worse, because it's entertaining.

#15 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,636 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:23 AM

He did get tossed at least once in 2019.It appeared that he made some kind of condescending analytical remark to the umpire.There was definitely no pointing or emotion or bases being tossed into the runway.

• BeatTheRich likes this

#16 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,209 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:57 AM

Chuck a baseball, fine, but don't woo or whistle, please.

• MMMordabito likes this

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,477 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:21 AM

I was at that game; in the cheap seats in the OF too. 

I can proudly say my DomeDog was consumed and not wasted on Chuck Knoblauch.

• Nine of twelve and MMMordabito like this

#18 BeatTheRich

BeatTheRich

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 160 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

He did get tossed at least once in 2019.It appeared that he made some kind of condescending analytical remark to the umpire.There was definitely no pointing or emotion or bases being tossed into the runway.

Classic. I hadn't seen that before. That's one way to fire up a team without anyone getting hurt.

#19 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 336 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:20 PM

Sure, Twins fans would do this.

There is the embarrassing moment fans decided to throw batteries at Knoblauch.

In the mid-80s, the Twins did a calendar giveaway at the gate. Midway through a long, boring game, fans were making paper airplanes out of the pages and throwing them onto the field. People only stopped when the announcer came on and announced they would have a contest later in the year to win a car if people could throw a paper airplane into a car parked on the turf, but only if they stopped tossing things on the field.

And of course there has been the odd game where trash and other giveaways were tossed on the field when a game didn't go the right way, for all teams.

#20 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,954 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:31 PM

Sure, Twins fans would do this.

There is the embarrassing moment fans decided to throw batteries at Knoblauch.

In the mid-80s, the Twins did a calendar giveaway at the gate. Midway through a long, boring game, fans were making paper airplanes out of the pages and throwing them onto the field. People only stopped when the announcer came on and announced they would have a contest later in the year to win a car if people could throw a paper airplane into a car parked on the turf, but only if they stopped tossing things on the field.

And of course there has been the odd game where trash and other giveaways were tossed on the field when a game didn't go the right way, for all teams.

Classic Minnesota passive-aggressive behavior.

Update your priors.