Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

A rant

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 27,825 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

I've been on about this for two years now, but Baldelli really needs to get over the idea that his best players need a game off every week.

It's unnecessary, and unproductive. It's baseball, for Pete's sake.

All it does is intentionally take his best players out of games, which is then of course compounded when the inevitable actual injuries occur.

Because players still get injured, whether they play 5 games a week instead of 6, or not.

And I suspect it probably leads to a bit of a "soft" team, without much intestinal fortitude, which I admit is speculation on my part.
  • Jerr, Cap'n Piranha, jjswol and 15 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,275 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

I've been on about this for two years now, but Baldelli really needs to get over the idea that his best players need a game off every week.

All it does is intentionally take his best players out of games, which is then of course compounded when the inevitable actual injuries occur.

Because players still get injured, whether they play 5 games a week instead of 6, or not.

And I suspect it probably leads to a bit of a "soft" team, without much intestinal fortitude, which I admit is speculation on my part.

I would also point out that his pitching moves seem predetermined for who pitches what innings regardless of what is actually happening on the field.

Why are Dobnak and Waddell pitching in one run games, which are soon no longer one run games? The starters pitch the same amount whether they're throwing a no hitter or struggling through the fourth inning.

This is a very flawed team that could easily lose 90 games this season because they have at least three major holes in their lineup, a very suspect bullpen, and 2.5 reliable starting pitchers.

• bighat, D.C Twins, Channing1964 and 1 other like this

#3 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 12,867 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:31 PM

100% accurate. Softness starts at the top and he seems way too laissez faire about giving guys days off. A couple of defensive plays today might have been made by buxton had he played. But the over cautious Rocco keeps guys out if they tweak a hang nail

• jjswol, bighat, Dakota Diver and 3 others like this

#4 wsnydes

wsnydes

Abnormal, the new normal.

• 4,476 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:43 PM

I think he's also testing out that theory that the order of the lineup doesn't matter. I realize that Garver has good numbers leading off against a lefty, but he isn't hitting anything right now and has no business at the top of the order. Garlick at cleanup? Its a wonder they scored a run at all. I've been very disappointed in his batting orders so far this season.
  • jjswol, Dakota Diver and Channing1964 like this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:20 PM

2 years managing, 2 division titles. One bad week and Baldelli is an idiot. 

The Twins are a flawed team. So isn’t pretty much every other team. 

Waddell did nothing today to cause the Twins to lose a game

People can rant, they come across as sounding like Fran Drescher

• lecroy24fan, Mike Sixel, SwainZag and 3 others like this

#6 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 3,209 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

I believe it was stated that Buxton was held out of both games today because of soreness in his legs, or something like that. So it wasn't clearly a matter of resting him.

• Channing1964 likes this

#7 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 595 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:28 PM

I believe it was stated that Buxton was held out of both games today because of soreness in his legs, or something like that. So it wasn't clearly a matter of resting him.

Just as long as it isn’t bilateral leg weakness.
  • Teflon, ScrapTheNickname, jjswol and 2 others like this

#8 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

This didn't seem to have a negative impact on the Dodgers or Rays, last year's World Series teams.

• lecroy24fan, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 5 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#9 adjacent

adjacent

• 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:42 AM

I am not going to research it, too lazy to do that, but I wonder if there ara data on injuries with regular rest, vs, playing continuosly. I know it is a topic that has been studied for pitchers, I am not aware of anything for field players

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,173 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:17 AM

baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. I think there's value in keeping guys fresh as the season wears on... just my 2 cents. I think there's a lot more wrong with this team right now than Rocco giving guys the occasional day off.

#11 umterp23

umterp23

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 101 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:36 AM

conditioning and rest starts with the player in the off-season. Yes it is a marathon but to have tired legs 2 weeks into the season when you had an unscheduled off day on Monday.  Lineups are very questionable but Rocco sure does love the analytical moneyball approach.  Old school managers who have a gut instinct to make the moves needed appear to have the belief of the team.  Astros with Dusty, sure went with gut more than analytics last post season and did fairly well.  long season could get longer with what we are seeing

#12 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,237 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:37 AM

There is never a set lineup. You don’t know if you are a lead off hitter, a middle of the order hitter, or a back of the lineup hitter. In the pen, are you a closer, a setup guy, or an innings eater?  Only the SP sort of know what their role is. 

While I am well aware of the fact that how baseball is now "managed" has changed, what hasn’t changed is what goes on in players minds. While some uncertainty is probably useful as a motivational tool, constant uncertainty is in essence chaos.

As to the talent of the individuals involved:  Its not as good as hoped for. The keys, Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Polanco, and Garver are all not performing as anticipated and didn’t last year. I regrettably include Buxton since he yet again is sitting with some leg problems. I think the Twins have 12 games in, and he has been out twice already. About average. 

As for Rocco, he is often lauded for his management of the clubhouse. That may be all true, I have saw nothing to contradict that legend. But the game is played on the field. Whether it’s perception or fact, his spreadsheet lineups and his willy nilly use of the pen leave him open to quite a bit of consternation, justified or not. 

• jjswol, Hosken Bombo Disco, wsnydes and 3 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#13 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

As to the talent of the individuals involved:  Its not as good as hoped for. The keys, Buxton, Sano, Kepler, Polanco, and Garver are all not performing as anticipated and didn’t last year. I regrettably include Buxton since he yet again is sitting with some leg problems. I think the Twins have 12 games in, and he has been out twice already. About average. 

If you're not satisfied with what Byron Buxton has provided so far there's basically no satisfying you.

• Brock Beauchamp, lecroy24fan, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#14 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,237 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:11 AM

Thomas, you missed the qualifier. I have nothing but admiration for his talent. He is the only player the Twins have who can as the saying goes, "stir the drink". But he can’t do that from the dugout, or the IL. Buxton’s ability changes the teams level. When he plays. 

If you're not satisfied with what Byron Buxton has provided so far there's basically no satisfying you.

• TopGunn#22 and Dakota Diver like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#15 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 1,000 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

100% accurate. Softness starts at the top and he seems way too laissez faire about giving guys days off. A couple of defensive plays today might have been made by buxton had he played. But the over cautious Rocco keeps guys out if they tweak a hang nail

100% that big rally could have been entirely avoided if Buxton was out there to catch that first hit that dropped near Cave. Completely changes everything.

• Dakota Diver likes this

#16 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,894 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:29 AM

There is never a set lineup. ...

The 2019 team opened the season against Cleveland with the exact same lineup in all three games. (Except for catchers.)

Nobody got hurt and nobody needed a day off already!
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#17 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 243 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

2 years managing, 2 division titles. One bad week and Baldelli is an idiot. 

The Twins are a flawed team. So isn’t pretty much every other team. 

Waddell did nothing today to cause the Twins to lose a game

People can rant, they come across as sounding like Fran Drescher

This is the attitude that gets you no play off wins in 2 decades. People CAN see the writing on the wall in some situations. Not everything is hind sight. Rocco's "Good Year" happened to be when he lucked into a team that broke the HR Record. Thats it. You can toss 2020 out the window because a season consisting of 1/3 the normal games does not count. 

• Original_JB and Channing1964 like this

#18 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 243 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:40 AM

This didn't seem to have a negative impact on the Dodgers or Rays, last year's World Series teams.

Yeah, because they are managed the same way. Not.  

• Original_JB and Channing1964 like this

#19 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 372 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

Strange things happens to the human body when you get a good sweat going and then have to sit when its 35 degrees outside. This spring's weather may be the best argument going forward about starting the season with normally cold weather teams opening on the road where its normally warmer in April. 

• glunn and Dave The Dastardly like this

#20 Number3

Number3

Wichita Wind Surge

• 573 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

per old nurse "2 years managing, 2 division titles. One bad week and Baldelli is an idiot."

Last year means nothing. Repeat; last year means nothing. 2019 the Twins went on a home run rampage that had nothing to do with managing and will never be repeated by this team. Donaldson pulls a ham string in game one so I guess he should have been rested in game 1. MOY jinx now in effect. Its a long season anyway but this will be a real long season for this team. No breaks or "should win" games any time soon. Seems like most every team is improved except one.

• KFEY93 likes this