Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

New Target field policy...no bags of any kind

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jctwins

jctwins

• 453 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

Thankfully we went before gates opened and were warned by a friendly security guy in advance that this year there are no bags of any kind except tiny purses. Tiny tiny purses. This in theory is to speed up lines and eliminate the need to look at bags. 

Anyway, even as a STH that gets all of the messaging, this came as news to us. So don't get burned having to make a trip back to your car if you go to a game. 

• glunn, VOMG and nclahammer like this

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 27,037 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

This isn’t just TF. It’s everywhere.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#3 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:55 AM

I don't think this rule is new this year.

In any case, this means I still don't have to take my mother in law to any games.

#4 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,866 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

What a stupid policy.Have one lane for people with bags, and one lane for people without.Then people can choose if they want to take the time to stand in line or not.I have to believe this policy makes it essentially impossible to go to a game with a child wearing diapers, or anyone else who needs to bring more than just a couple of things.

• glunn and Danchat like this

#5 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

What a stupid policy.Have one lane for people with bags, and one lane for people without.Then people can choose if they want to take the time to stand in line or not.I have to believe this policy makes it essentially impossible to go to a game with a child wearing diapers, or anyone else who needs to bring more than just a couple of things.

Diaper bags and medically-necessary bags are allowed. Is this still a stupid policy?

https://www.google.c...ield bag policy

• glunn likes this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,473 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

It can't be an effort of speeding up the lines at the gate, with only 1/4 attendance, there was no lines at the gate. Reminded me of going to a game at the Metrodome in the lean years of the mid-to-late 1990s.

Actually, the end of yesterday's game reminded me of that year Aguilera talked his way into getting a shot in the rotation and Dave Stevens ended up with the closer's gig.

#7 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

It can't be an effort of speeding up the lines at the gate

It's not. This has been the policy for a couple of years.

Every major sport event, concert, etc., nationwide, has had this policy since the Las Vegas shooting in 2017. Concerts and other similar events have had this policy for a couple of years, too. Note that Target Field is just following the MLB policy.

One pandemic and we forget stuff, I guess.

#8 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,866 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:03 AM

Diaper bags and medically-necessary bags are allowed. Is this still a stupid policy?

https://www.google.c...ield bag policy

Yes.Policies that restrict your patrons are generally not a good idea.If I show up with a diaper bag, am I still allowed in (even if I don't have a child with me; perhaps I'm meeting the person who does have my child, whom entered separately).What about small children that maybe can't sit still for 3+ hours--I can no longer bring a bag of toys/books to entertain them I would assume.Like I said before, if the idea here is to make lines go faster, just have two lanes, and let your customer decide.This is a needless restriction, particularly right now, as Nick pointed out above.

#9 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,866 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

Every major sport event, concert, etc., nationwide, has had this policy since the Las Vegas shooting in 2017. Concerts and other similar events have had this policy for a couple of years, too. Note that Target Field is just following the MLB policy.

This doesn't make sense at all, as the LV shooting occurred from a hotel room.They could have strip-searched every single attendee, and it still wouldn't have changed anything.

#10 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:05 AM

This doesn't make sense at all, as the LV shooting occurred from a hotel room.They could have strip-searched every single attendee, and it still wouldn't have changed anything.

As I said, I can't help it if you don't remember the 2019 and 2018 bag policies for the MLB and NFL. I know you can google them to refresh your memory, though.

#11 jctwins

jctwins

• 453 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:40 AM

Honestly I don't think this was policy in 2019. I know for a fact we still had to take stuff out of our pockets, and I'm pretty sure I'd remember if my wife had to manage not taking even an average sized purse. 

I thought the NFL was allowing clear bags under a certain size, that wasn't tiny? Or did that change, too?

• Cap'n Piranha and blindeke like this

#12 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,866 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

As I said, I can't help it if you don't remember the 2019 and 2018 bag policies for the MLB and NFL. I know you can google them to refresh your memory, though.

I wasn't saying it wasn't policy, I was saying it's a non-sensical policy in response to the LV tragedy, as it would have done nothing to prevent that situation.It's like attempting to stop carjackings by requiring people to use the club when not driving.It stops a problem, to be sure, but not the problem in question.

#13 Number3

Number3

Wichita Wind Surge

• 572 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:00 AM

What about riot gear and hand warmers? What a home field advantage. Please cover the place.

#14 Twins33

Twins33

• 588 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

You are not remembering correctly. Also the event that kicked off the metal detectors and so on was the Boston marathon bombing. The Vegas shooting didn’t impact anything unless it took two years to implement which I doubt since it took less than one year for metal detectors to be put in after the bombings

Here is the policy that started 07/2019:

https://minnesota.cb...es-into-effect/

Allowed: small purses, totes, clear plastic bags or a tote bag, Small soft-sided coolers, diaper bags. Maximum bag size is 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches.

Not allowed: backpacks, laptop bags, bags with a lot of zippers (such as non-clutch purses), duffel bags

the beginning of the 2019 season and all seasons before, backpacks, laptop bags, lots of zippers and big bags (as long as smaller than the size listed above) were allowed. 

2021 policy allowed: medically-necessary items, diaper bags and small clutch purses (max. 9” x 5”) only. Everything else, banned. 

So this is a significant change even from the July 2019 policy which is the last policy that had fans attending. I’m pretty sure this is implemented this way this year because of COVID. They’re trying to make everything as contactless as possible. 

Whether this continues beyond 2021 remains to be seen. MLB has always been the most lenient on what is brought in compared to other sports. COVID may permanently change that. We will just have to see. 

• drbob524 and Longdistancetwins like this