Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cord cutters dilema 2021

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 rickybeathard

rickybeathard

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 59 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:16 PM

So I hate to be this guy every year, but once again the MLB makes it a huge pain to watch the Twins if you're in a blackout market. In 2019 I was able to watch the Twins on FSN on YoutubeTV, then FSN got dropped from youtube TV. In 2020 I switched to Hulu, but now Hulu/Sinclair has dropped FSN. 

So going into the 2021 season with FSN being renamed Bally Sports North, does anyone know of a service where I can stream this channel? Or has anyone heard any updates about a streaming giant picking it up now that they're partnered with Bally? 

I feel like my only option at this point is MLB.tv and a VPN which also means that I'll have to connect to my TV via airplay. 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

• flpmagikat, bighat and rdehring like this

#2 nclahammer

nclahammer

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 161 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:42 AM

AT&T I hear is one option.We're looking into cutting the cable cord, and they're about the only streaming option we've found.

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 4,116 posts
  • LocationGainesville FL

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:00 AM

I'm not officially recommending this, but there are free services all over the internet that will allow you to watch MLB games for free. While I personally use MLB.TV (as an out-of-market resident splitting time between Guatemala and Florida I have no issues watching Twins games), I can confirm that other methods are available. I'm not trying to be too cryptic here and I certainly don't want to make these other options sound scary - they're not. And you probably know about them. My main issue is the quality seems to suffer.

I think your option of MLB.TV with a VPN may be your best bet, otherwise.

I read that the ATT "TV" option is $84.99 per month if you want to include Bally Sports North as a streaming option.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 14,293 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:34 AM

I read that Balley Sports will have a Direct to Consumer option beginning in 2022. I don’t know if that means they’re giving up negotiating with YouTube TV/Hulu/Sling/etc. this year. I’m not optimistic they’ll figure it out, given that basketball and hockey seasons are well under way.

#5 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 234 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:45 AM

I just switched from Hulu to AT&T, Hulu was up to $65, AT&T Choice is $85. I don't mind paying an extra $20/mo. to be able to watch Twins. 

#6 raindog

raindog

• 417 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:33 PM

I suggest comparing Hulu/YTTV/etc prices to cable prices. They’re no longer the deal they used to be. Plus with cable, you don’t have fluctuating streaming quality. 

• jjswol likes this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

It's so interesting that the MLB is following the Brooklyn-Underground-Hipster-Bar model. Impossible to find and if you do, it's even harder to get in. Really seems like a solid business model for reaching as many viewers as possible.

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, REPETE and 11 others like this

#8 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 420 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:52 AM

I suggest comparing Hulu/YTTV/etc prices to cable prices. They’re no longer the deal they used to be. Plus with cable, you don’t have fluctuating streaming quality. 

That's true, though with yttv and hulu tv, you can pay for the months you use, and cancel after the baseball season. With cable you have a 1 yr contract, plus start up fees. I've never had issues with streaming quality on yttv. Satellite TV, on the other hand...

Going to do mlb with a vpn this year.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 14,293 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:09 AM

That's true, though with yttv and hulu tv, you can pay for the months you use, and cancel after the baseball season. With cable you have a 1 yr contract, plus start up fees. I've never had issues with streaming quality on yttv. Satellite TV, on the other hand...

Going to do mlb with a vpn this year.

Yep. Flexibility is a key reason why I still stream and refuse to go back to cable. In past years I would sign up around March/April to get MLB Network, ESPN, etc. to watch baseball and continue through the fall for football season. Then cut it in the winter. For me, it's mostly about not wanting to give awful companies like AT&T and Spectrum more money than I have to. Nothing would make me happier than cutting them entirely out of my expenses for internet and TV. 

• Brock Beauchamp, diehardtwinsfan, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 18,817 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:09 AM

It's so interesting that the MLB is following the Brooklyn-Underground-Hipster-Bar model. Impossible to find and if you do, it's even harder to get in. Really seems like a solid business model for reaching as many viewers as possible.

To be fair, it's not really MLB causing this current issue. Fox had broadcast rights, and then sold them to Sinclair, and now Sinclair has failed to keep them on most streaming services. I'm guessing MLB isn't exactly thrilled with Sinclair right now either, if only due to the negative PR.

(There's also the annual complaint about MLB.TV's blackout rules, but I think that's a separate issue -- and one that isn't unique to MLB either.)

#11 spycake

spycake

• 18,817 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

The AT&T TV Choice package (the cheapest streaming package that includes FSN right now) is currently $85/month. That's high, but keep in mind, there is no contract so you can cancel anytime, and no fees beyond that $85 each month.

For comparison, I just went to the Xfinity website, where they advertised an $80/month TV/internet combo. Sounds good, BUT in the fine print:

Broadcast TV Fee (up to $19.45/mo.), Regional Sports Fee (up to $14.45/mo.) and other applicable charges extra

Plus they require you to pay $5/month for a cable box (or $15 if you want DVR, which AT&T TV already includes), so that's $119-129. On the internet side, it's only 200 Mbps (one of their lower speed tiers) and adds $14-25/month for modem rental if you don't buy your own. All of this is on a 1-year contract, so you can't cancel whenever you want -- and the price jumps another $20 after 1 year too.

Obviously this will all vary by one's local cable/internet providers, but odds are, the cable package will be no better on price than internet + AT&T TV, and far less flexible.

(Of course, an even better deal is internet + radio :) )

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,641 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:58 AM

Yep. Flexibility is a key reason why I still stream and refuse to go back to cable. In past years I would sign up around March/April to get MLB Network, ESPN, etc. to watch baseball and continue through the fall for football season. Then cut it in the winter. For me, it's mostly about not wanting to give awful companies like AT&T and Spectrum more money than I have to. Nothing would make me happier than cutting them entirely out of my expenses for internet and TV. 

This is exactly what I've done the past couple of seasons.

This season I'm being forced to use MLB.tv plus a less than legal VPN routing option. They've left me no choice, really. I'd prefer to give them money to watch the Twins but I'm not going back to a $1200/yr cable package to watch baseball and ONLY baseball. It's literally the only thing I watch on the service.

Good job all around, everyone involved. You've made this so difficult and irritating that instead of getting $500+, you'll get zero dollars and a lot of animosity from me.

• Mike Frasier Law, TheLeviathan, flpmagikat and 1 other like this

#13 raindog

raindog

• 417 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:18 PM

I wouldn’t say Google and Disney are much better companies. But good point on flexibility. I thought most cable companies had gotten rid of contracts. 

#14 spycake

spycake

• 18,817 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:56 PM

I just switched from Hulu to AT&T, Hulu was up to $65, AT&T Choice is $85. I don't mind paying an extra $20/mo. to be able to watch Twins. 

Can you confirm, does your AT&T TV login also allow you to stream Fox Sports North content at https://www.foxsport...ovider/register or in the Fox Sports app?

#15 spycake

spycake

• 18,817 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:58 PM

This season I'm being forced to use MLB.tv plus a less than legal VPN routing option. They've left me no choice, really. I'd prefer to give them money to watch the Twins but I'm not going back to a $1200/yr cable package to watch baseball and ONLY baseball. It's literally the only thing I watch on the service.

Good job all around, everyone involved. You've made this so difficult and irritating that instead of getting $500+, you'll get zero dollars and a lot of animosity from me.

AT&T TV would be $510 for the regular season (6 months at $85/month).

#16 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,332 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, but with all these options that don't include MLB Network, how do you spend your winters when you can't watch that stupid movie where Bernie Mac makes a comeback to try to get his 3,000th hit? 

97 times. 

Each month...

#17 Amesfan

Amesfan

GCL Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

I live in central Iowa (Ames), and with AT&T TV I'm not able to receive FSN. The regional sports networks AT&T offer to this zip code are;

• adorduan likes this

#18 Amesfan

Amesfan

GCL Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

Are FSMidwest (Cards, Royals), Marquee (Cubs), and Chicago Sports (White Sox).

• adorduan likes this

#19 Original_JB

Original_JB

• 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:06 AM

No, you get fluctuating broadcast quality instead.

#20 chaderic20

chaderic20

• 115 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:31 AM

As Amesfan said, here in central IA (Des Moines for me) you can't even get FSN North on cable packages, or if it does happen to be available, its only in the Super Max Uber Sports Pack Deluxe+ that costs an extra $150 a month, on top of the normal $150 cable package. Yet, we're still in the MLB.TV blackout area for the Twins and five other teams (cuz MLB apparently doesn't want people in Iowa to watch any baseball).So we're literally left with no legal options here.It's pirate streams, VPN to hide location, or signing into FSGo with a family/friend's account who lives somewhere that can get FSN North with their cable.

• adorduan likes this