Twins Daily's mission has always been more than just providing daily coverage of the Twins. It's been about building a community of Twins' fans to share their passion in three different ways:
- Read – Provide daily coverage of our favorite team from a unique angle, whether it be sabermetric, prospect-centric, mechanical, satirical, or whatever else our community wants to share.
- React – Our forums provide a civil and welcoming environment for readers to react and explore their questions and topics.
- Write – Our blogs allow those wanting to write to learn their craft, make mistakes and find their voice.
Our web platform was hurting our community's ability to fulfill those missions.
- People outside of the community couldn't find our content. It was blocked because the server was non-secure. Also, SEO engines had trouble reading our pages.
- The software on which our site was built was developed before smartphones existed, let alone were ubiquitous, making our page hard to read on a mobile platform.
- Spammers have become much more sophisticated, forcing us to lock down registrations, making it hard to let people react to stories.
- Social Media and forum software has further developed, leaving our forums underpowered and unprepared to compete with other platforms.
- Our writers and bloggers were challenged with providing any content that wasn't strictly textual. Even simple things like cutting and pasting a picture or adding video were struggles.
- Finally, the site's growth was putting a strain on the software. Upgrading servers can only do so much when the software is bursting at the seams. God forbid we get swarmed when the Twins make a big move or win a postseason game.
The new site will act a lot like the old one, though you'll stumble on some new bells and whistles, and you'll find even more as we can turn other features on. It'll look slightly different, so there will be an adjustment period, but we think you'll get accustomed to it quickly and start to recognize some of the hidden value it should provide.
We're all in this together, so we're excited to get your feedback as you get to log in for the first time on Monday. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions below. We hope you'll be excited by the platform it provides for your favorite online community to grow.