Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Lurkers and rookies please post here

glunn

Decided to finally register after lurking for some time. With another 90 loss season most of the way down the barrel I figure I finally need group support. Plus I'm feeling the post Correia trade endorphins still so that gave me enough motivation to go through the reg process, haha.

Welcome to the ranks of the published, Author. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to finally register after lurking for some time. With another 90 loss season most of the way down the barrel I figure I finally need group support. Plus I'm feeling the post Correia trade endorphins still so that gave me enough motivation to go through the reg process, haha.

Welcome!  You'll fit right in here, which means that your family has suddenly expanded, but you also need to revisit financial and legal liability with independent counsel after the game.

Finally decided to start adding my two cents about this organization.  I'm a long time Twins Daily reader, and Gleeman and the Geek listener.  I even went to the Winter Meltdown last year.  

I've basically followed the Twins my whole life.  I was a kid during the 90s so I kind of skipped out on the tough times.  My very first recollection is either Puckett retiring or us going to spring training while he was still playing.  I became a big fan a year or two before that contraction controversy.  Wow, maybe I didn't skip out on the tough times.  Obviously my following grew over the next decade as they won.  I want to see the excitement return to this organization just like everyone else.  Hopefully this community will help me get through this terrible stretch the team is on.  

Aside from the Twins, my biggest influences have revolved around advanced metrics.  I love Moneyball, Bill James' Baseball Reference, and anything Fangraphs or Baseball Prospectus related.  Plus, Buck O'Neil.  There is a reason that guy appears in every decade of Ken Burns' Baseball documentary.

This community surrounding the Twins is quite impressive and I'm happy to be a part of it!  Its nice to know my wife and I aren't the only ones receiving that blank stare after telling someone "I'm going to the Twins game". 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, as you may have gathered, my name is Zach. I'm 23. I lurk every now and then. I decided to sign up and join the ranks over the weekend while on a trip to Phoenix to watch a few Salt River Rafters games (hint). Trivia question: (might have to search other threads for the answer, as I can verify the give away post exists elsewhere) I may or may not be directly related to an active TD member. If you can guess the member and our relation then he will send you a check for $100.

1. He didn't agree to this in any way

2. If your username is Ashburyjohn, you are prohibited from participating.

Also, Go Twins.

Hello, as you may have gathered, my name is Zach. I'm 23. I lurk every now and then. I decided to sign up and join the ranks over the weekend while on a trip to Phoenix to watch a few Salt River Rafters games (hint). Trivia question: (might have to search other threads for the answer, as I can verify the give away post exists elsewhere) I may or may not be directly related to an active TD member. If you can guess the member and our relation then he will send you a check for $100.

1. He didn't agree to this in any way

2. If your username is Ashburyjohn, you are prohibited from participating.

Also, Go Twins.

Ah!  It's Chief, Jr.!  And that is what you will forever be known as now!   ;)  And I'll get my money from your Dad one way or another ... count on that!   

Edit:  And since I have the power to ... where it says 'Still wet behind the ears' might have to be changed to Chief, Jr.  

Ha! Very well. Good call. I'll accept ''Chief Jr.'' over '''Still wet behind the ears,'' so I appreciate that sentiment. I'm not certain he is aware yet that I promised 100 of his dollars. Yeah Ashburyjohn, his son David, my Dad and I spent the weekend in Phoenix and watched three AFL games and had ourselves a pretty good time!

Ha! Very well. Good call. I'll accept ''Chief Jr.'' over '''Still wet behind the ears,'' so I appreciate that sentiment. I'm not certain he is aware yet that I promised 100 of his dollars. Yeah Ashburyjohn, his son David, my Dad and I spent the weekend in Phoenix and watched three AFL games and had ourselves a pretty good time!

Welcome Chief Jr.  Your dad is a mainstay here at TD and one of my favorite human beings, despite his advanced age.  It's great that you have joined up.

Thanks for the welcoming words, Glunn. I seem to recall Ashburyjohn mentioning something regarding a common theme here on TD regarding the age of my father. I will say this in my father's defense: I can probably beat him in a game of one on one basketball at this point, but he can still take me in just about everything else in life (golf, words with friends, ping pong). Chief is a wicked good ping pong player.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a Twins fan since the beginning of the 2011 season.  I lurk around on TD occasionally but not as often as I go on the official website; however, now that I have an account I'll probably go on more.

Here is a video of what my interesting brothers act like whenever they see a Twins fan (be patient at first – it get's more interesting towards the end):

Also,

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/54/98/aa/5498aa43efc7df4c5c736d780749817a.jpg

Including Joe Mauer (for the benefit of all of his haters), but especially Brian Dozier.

Edited by Sharon Hosch

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to post my two cents about the team's direction after another season in the dumps. I have lurked on TD a couple times but finally posting is a little different.

I grew up in a Twins household. My first Twins memory is watching a Jacque Jones lead off homer in 2002, I think we all remember that one. 

Anyway, for those frustrated with Joe Mauer, you got to slow your roll and let him work. Joe would never succeed in a large market, because he can't take all the hate when you under perform. Joe will be fine, as well as the offense in general. 

I would really like to see the Twins make a push for Liriano and/or Justin Masterson. Both of these guys had down years in 2014, which makes them an ideal play for the Twins because they will not be demanding those big contracts i.e. Ricky Nolasco, and Target Field seems to be a good park for pitchers to jump start their careers i.e. Phil Hughes I think a Masterson/Liriano Hughes, Ricky, and Gibson rotation could work out. 

I am very excited for the up and coming Twins prospects, and I think we need to wait on them. Lets not have another Aaron Hicks happening.

Good Luck and Go Twins! 

Wanted to post my two cents about the team's direction after another season in the dumps. I have lurked on TD a couple times but finally posting is a little different.

I grew up in a Twins household. My first Twins memory is watching a Jacque Jones lead off homer in 2002, I think we all remember that one. 

Anyway, for those frustrated with Joe Mauer, you got to slow your roll and let him work. Joe would never succeed in a large market, because he can't take all the hate when you under perform. Joe will be fine, as well as the offense in general. 

I would really like to see the Twins make a push for Liriano and/or Justin Masterson. Both of these guys had down years in 2014, which makes them an ideal play for the Twins because they will not be demanding those big contracts i.e. Ricky Nolasco, and Target Field seems to be a good park for pitchers to jump start their careers i.e. Phil Hughes I think a Masterson/Liriano Hughes, Ricky, and Gibson rotation could work out. 

I am very excited for the up and coming Twins prospects, and I think we need to wait on them. Lets not have another Aaron Hicks happening.

Good Luck and Go Twins! 

Welcome to TD.  This is a promising first post.

• 3 weeks later...

Long time Lurker, gleeman and geek listener, Twins Daily event antendee, SABR member of the Halsey Hall Chapter and first time poster.

When I first heard that Torii Hunter had resigned for the Twins I was disappointed because I would rather see them spend that 10.5 million on an Ace pitcher. Not a veteran stop gap till Buxton and Sano. But now that he called a well deserved over aggressive reporter trying to make a name for himself a "prick" I have done a 180. I am not saying Hunter was out of line because he has a big mouth and was out of line. He called once said that the reason there are more latino players than african americans is because teams can get a latino for a "bag of chips". He apologized soon after. He is a great quote and will be a welcomed change in a stale clubhouse. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been a reader of the news end of this website for a little over a year now and only recently started reading the comments. I have to say that it was refreshing, I had generally stopped reading comments on websites because of the general boneheadedness that so many posters spewed. I have found that here the comments really add a lot and are many times at least as interesting as the articles. That got me wandering through the forums and the community here is great.

I have been a Twins fan since I was very young but really started following them in '86 as they were getting good. I'm now living in Texas, married to a Rangers fan who I've converted (mostly).

I think this year is going to be '86 all over again…so next year…we'll see.

Thanks to everyone who helps make this a great place to talk Twins.

I have been a reader of the news end of this website for a little over a year now and only recently started reading the comments. I have to say that it was refreshing, I had generally stopped reading comments on websites because of the general boneheadedness that so many posters spewed. I have found that here the comments really add a lot and are many times at least as interesting as the articles. That got me wandering through the forums and the community here is great.

I have been a Twins fan since I was very young but really started following them in '86 as they were getting good. I'm now living in Texas, married to a Rangers fan who I've converted (mostly).

I think this year is going to be '86 all over again…so next year…we'll see.

Thanks to everyone who helps make this a great place to talk Twins.

Welcome! Hope to see more of you as the season really gets going! Game threads are a great place for everyone near and far to 'commune,' but those of us who are too far to enjoy games in person or with friends at a local establishment have made it our 'local establishment.' So make sure you check those out since you are far away in Rangers territory!

Featured Video