Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Couple of BP Guys talkin' Buxton

Hey all. Jason Parks and Chris Mellen had a Twitter exchange earlier tonight and I recapped it in my blog:

Kevin Slowey was Framed!: What prospect experts are saying about Byron Buxton

If you just want to read their tweets, you are certainly welcome. I tried not to get too cute with my analysis, but I really can't help myself.

Mr. Swanson. Thanks, that was a fun and hopeful read.

As we are in the midst of Mike Trout's and Bryce Harper's brilliant starts to their careers, it is exciting to day dream or plausibly think the Twin's may have one of those kind of prospects on their hands.

Although everything is constantly changing and nothing is certain. Right now it is nice to bask in the sunlight of the Twin's not so painful distant future.

Hey all. Jason Parks and Chris Mellen had a Twitter exchange earlier tonight and I recapped it in my blog:

Kevin Slowey was Framed!: What prospect experts are saying about Byron Buxton

If you just want to read their tweets, you are certainly welcome. I tried not to get too cute with my analysis, but I really can't help myself.

Nice find and good analysis!

What does Gausman have to do with Buxton's awesomeness?

Yea that comment puzzled me aswell...

On a different note its awesome to have such an elite prospect, let alone 2 of them. Twins have had a long drought of top of the line prospects so it only makes sense that we get a few of them at once. Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Rassario, Gibson, Arcia and Berrios all have alot of potential.

My guess is that, in other threads, some are still griping that the Twins didn't take Gausman who is already in the majors. I think birdwatcher is having a little fun with their position.

Apparently I'm slow....damn alcohol.

Apparently I'm slow....damn alcohol.

Are you still fighting the everyday battle? I struggled with addicton aswell, ive been sober for 10 months now and feel great. Alcohol wasnt my DOC but I met a ton of alcoholics in detox's and treatments and saw how difficult it is to get off that stuff. I know it seems like theres no way out but trust me man you will get through this. Sorry to Ramble on but I feel for addicts still struggling.

Are you still fighting the everyday battle? I struggled with addicton aswell, ive been sober for 10 months now and feel great. Alcohol wasnt my DOC but I met a ton of alcoholics in detox's and treatments and saw how difficult it is to get off that stuff. I know it seems like theres no way out but trust me man you will get through this. Sorry to Ramble on but I feel for addicts still struggling.

While I appreciate the support and the honesty I actually don't drink that much. Only reason I was drinking today was to celebrate my girlfriends promotion. I do wish you the best. Go Twins!

Not all indulgence leads to addiction, my friend. Plenty of functioning adults are known to be lushes (or less!). I imagine cmb is just fine (though I don't intend to speak for him).

Yea I know but when its starting to make you Slow than its probably an addiction. My B if hes not an addict..

While I appreciate the support and the honesty I actually don't drink that much. Only reason I was drinking today was to celebrate my girlfriends promotion. I do wish you the best. Go Twins!

Ha wow, I thought you were saying you were slow because you drank so much alcohol. lol, oh well its good to hear you arent an addict. Its literaly the worst thing on this planet, wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Willie Mays as a comp? Seems a little....over the top

Parks admitted it was an irresponsible comp, but the mere fact that a scout would bring up that name says something about what he sees in Buxton.

Also, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the exchange. I saw it while making dinner last night and thought it was too awesome to keep to myself.

Parks admitted it was an irresponsible comp, but the mere fact that a scout would bring up that name says something about what he sees in Buxton.

Also, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the exchange. I saw it while making dinner last night and thought it was too awesome to keep to myself.

Thanks, Brad. The giddy-meter was set on 11, and this might be the one time to speculate that maybe there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks, Brad. The giddy-meter was set on 11, and this might be the one time to speculate that maybe there's nothing wrong with that.

I would agree and I think it's fair to be excited.

Also, Parks just posted an article at BP where he polled 20 industry sources as to whether they prefer Buxton or Miguel Sano:

Baseball Prospectus | Prospects Will Break Your Heart: Poll the Industry: Sano vs. Buxton

It was 18-2 in favor of Buxton and if you have a BP subscription, this is really compelling stuff. I don't want to give away too much of their article, but this quote is pretty delicious:

“Buxton is the best player I have ever scouted in the minors..”

The prospects we have is making it very exciting to be a twins fan right now. I am enough of a fossil to have experienced the 87 Twins and watched them come up through system in early 80's....I am getting that same feeling this time around...it feels like we can finally shrug that monkey off our back...we have some nice talent...but what makes it interesting is that all of our talent seems to be trying to crash the gate right now...

Nothing would please me more than to have "raspberry" take over as the curse word of choice at Twins Daily.

You think you can choose the curse word people here at TD use? Who the raspberry do you think you are?

Willie Mays as a comp? Seems a little....over the top

It's certainly not fair to lay that kind of expectation on him.

That said... After watching the first Kernels workout on the day they were introduced in CR, a sportswriter friend of mine who has been around much longer than I (didn't think that was possible, but it is) told me pretty much the same thing... that the way Buxton moved reminded him of a young Willie Mays. I just grinned at him because at the time I was already just shaking my head at the expectations he would be as good as Trout was when he was in CR.

After watching Buxton for two months, I'll just say the Mays comparison is not as over-the-top as you might think it is. Just sayin'