Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Fun With Numbers 2023 Edition

Verified Member

Only the Oakland Athletics (who clearly are not trying to field a good team) have allowed more runs than the Chicago White Sox. Hopefully, the Twins can get some offense going when they visit the South Side this week.

3 hours ago, USAFChief said:

Only 4 MLB teams have single digits in the loss column. 

Two of them are the Pittsburgh Pirates and Baltimore Orioles. 

And a corollary to this is that Boston and the Yankees are both currently out of the postseason.

3 hours ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

The 2023 AL Central is the worst division ever in the history of MLB. The win percentage supports that. 

I'm not going to take the time to look at the final standings for every season since divisions came into existence in 1969 to confirm this, but I would not be one bit surprised to find this is true. BTW, a record of 56-87 is a .392 winning percentage. Pathetic.

12 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

I'm not going to take the time to look at the final standings for every season since divisions came into existence in 1969 to confirm this, but I would not be one bit surprised to find this is true. BTW, a record of 56-87 is a .392 winning percentage. Pathetic.

I did not do the calculating either but only did some googling and spot checking back to 1994. I did not look at 1969-1993 either, thinking that more teams in those larger divisions would tend to drive the win percentage closer to the overall mean of .500. So, this only means that the Twins chances this year are better than ever. Fun! (with numbers)

I’ll put this in Fun with Numbers. Ten Minnesota Twins on the 40-man roster were born in one year (1997). No other year is close. Here they are from oldest to youngest (birthdays included): Larnach (2/26), Castro and Moran (both 4/24), Jeffers (6/3), Sands (7/17), Kirilloff (11/9), Varland (12/9), Wallner (12/12), Canterino (12/14) and Headrick (12/17). 

This is obviously not the way you can do this analysis, but this is fun with numbers -- so I am going to have fun. If you say that AK's 2022 should basically be removed because he was trying to play through a hurt wrist that never fully healed that sapped his power here are his career numbers: 

• Totals
    • 66g
    • 19 2Bs
    • 1 3B
    • 10 HRs
    • 37 RBIs
    • 27 runs
    • 20 BB's
    • 55 K's 
  • Splits
    • Avg - .265
    • OBP - .330
    • SLG% - .485
    • OPS - .815
    • BB% - 9%
    • K% - 22% 
  • Per 150
    • 46 XBHs (2b & 3b) 
    • 22 HRs
    • 85 RBIs
    • 61 runs

*Because I am having fun with numbers I added another 2B to his line because technically he hit an XBH down the 1B line on his walk off that didn't count. 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:11 AM, Jocko87 said:

Brent Rooker is on pace for 41.5 homers.  A's on pace for 33 wins.  The gap is closing.

With one swing in the 10th inning on Friday Brent Rooker altered the trajectory of my fun.  Back to the Sunday schedule.

Brent Rooker is on pace for 43.46 homers.  A's on pace for 35.56 wins.

On 5/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, Jocko87 said:

With one swing in the 10th inning on Friday Brent Rooker altered the trajectory of my fun.  Back to the Sunday schedule.

Brent Rooker is on pace for 43.46 homers.  A's on pace for 35.56 wins.

Brent Rooker is on pace for 37.125 homers.  A's on pace for 33.75 wins.

I feel bad posting this to a thread called Fun With Numbers because there is nothing fun or good about it from any perspective. Oakland's run differential through 51 games is -183. The second-worst in the Majors is Kansas City at -73. Oakland's pace now projects to a record of 32-130. This would be by far the worst win-loss record in the modern era. This goes beyond a statistical anomaly or an historical quirk. This is disastrous.

18 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

I feel bad posting this to a thread called Fun With Numbers because there is nothing fun or good about it from any perspective. Oakland's run differential through 51 games is -183. The second-worst in the Majors is Kansas City at -73. Oakland's pace now projects to a record of 32-130. This would be by far the worst win-loss record in the modern era. This goes beyond a statistical anomaly or an historical quirk. This is disastrous.

The Royals slogan: "At least we're not Oakland".

9 hours ago, Nine of twelve said:

It's a good time for that disaster.

They are gone. Heading to Vegas. They will be arriving in 2027.

They have to play out the string in Oakland in front of a small amount of jilted fans who will step over the garbage strewn on the streets outside the stadium just to boo in displeasure... because it will be the players fault.  

The Orioles started their full on rebuild in 2018. The Astros started their full on rebuild in 2011 reaching the playoffs in 2015 and the Astros were loaded by 2017. 

It's a good time for that disaster. They will say goodbye to Oakland with some of the worst baseball played by players who will be playing great baseball in Vegas. 

3 hours ago, Riverbrian said:

It's a good time for that disaster.

There is no time that is a good time for a disaster. No matter how one tries to spin this it is bad for all of MLB for things in Oakland to be this bad whether the team is moving or not, especially if it's going to be this bad for four seasons.

7 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

There is no time that is a good time for a disaster. No matter how one tries to spin this it is bad for all of MLB for things in Oakland to be this bad whether the team is moving or not, especially if it's going to be this bad for four seasons.

Yeah, if you're 20 games below the old adage of "everyone's going to win 54, everyone's going to lose 54, it's what you do with the other 54 that matters" there's nothing redeeming about it. This is bad for baseball, and if I'm another owner I'm telling them to F off and they're not getting a cent of revenue sharing. There's tanking (which is terrible for the game), and then there's this team. They traded everyone good, and didn't even get elite prospects back. The league should be embarrassed.

1 hour ago, Nine of twelve said:

Like the Byrds once said in the Bible. 

A time to _____ A time to _____

Turn Turn Turn

5 minutes ago, lecroy24fan said:

Lease is up after 2024. 

Here's what they should do in 2025 and 2026. 

Move to Salt Lake City for those two years before hitting the strip in 2027. 

That way they can go from being the A's to the Bee's. 

Umm... 

Las Vegas Seas could be the new team name in 2027.  

Yeah... I know that sucks but it does show a team making progress step by step. 

This thread has now become fun with letters. 

25 minutes ago, Riverbrian said:

Umm... 

Letters, numbers, same-same. We call it algebra. 

2 hours ago, Riverbrian said:

Umm... 

2 hours ago, Craig Arko said:

Letters, numbers, same-same. We call it algebra. 

My favorite number is e. Guess I'd have to wait another move or two.