Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Trade to be announced


AZTwin
 Share

Community Leader

From a MLBTradeRumors article last week:

But Mahle has flown somewhat under the radar for the past few seasons despite being quite similar statistically, to both Castillo and Montas since 2020.

It’s hard not to wonder just what Mahle’s performance might look like in another uniform, as his numbers away from the homer-happy Great American Ball Park are tantalizing. Few pitchers have such a dramatic home/road split as Mahle, who since 2020 has pitched to a 2.93 ERA on the road but an ugly 4.89 mark at home. Mahle has allowed 1.75 homers per nine innings pitched in Cincinnati, compared to just 0.52 long balls per nine on the road. He also has a better strikeout rate and opponents’ hard-hit rate than either Castillo or Montas, dating back to 2020 — albeit with the highest walk rate of the three.

Broadly speaking, Mahle is much closer to the Montas/Castillo tier of pitcher than most pundits credit him. And, with a $5.2MM salary compared to Castillo’s $7.35MM mark, he’s a bit more affordable than his teammate and right in line with Montas ($5MM).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
7 minutes ago, Steve71 said:

Do not like giving up CES, that may haunt us down the line.

Prefer Rodon over Mahle.  Also prefer PLopez over Mahle.  Hope they get one of them, too.

At least we wont have to worry about protecting players from the Rule 5 draft next year!

Rodon's contract would have been a disaster.  San Fran would expect a bigger payout because he also has a year and half, but he will opt out in 2023, unless he sucks or gets hurt.  So the Twins would either have a high cost hurt/crappy SP in 2023, or no SP in 2023.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

I'm fine with trading prospects for major league talent/players. Is it a little risky...sure, but take the damn chance to do something now. Try to win...NOW. Just because someone is decent in the minors, doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna perform in the bigs. There doesn't seem to be a lot of absolutely can't miss players in the minors, and we don't seem to ever have any of them anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FlyingFinn said:

I don't believe CES or Hajjar were Rule 5 eligible so this actually doesn't do anything for the 40 man roster (Mahle in replace of Steer) for this winter.

You could argue that it allocates space on the roster better - but yeah, it's a 40-man-neutral move.

Per Dan Hayes earlier today: "Reds were there to see Simeon Woods Richardson pitch Sunday at Wichita." (link)
If indeed the Reds were scouting SWR, I'm glad they made the deal happen without including him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
2 minutes ago, CRF said:

I'm fine with trading prospects for major league talent/players. Is it a little risky...sure, but take the damn chance to do something now. Try to win...NOW. Just because someone is decent in the minors, doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna perform in the bigs. There doesn't seem to be a lot of absolutely can't miss players in the minors, and we don't seem to ever have any of them anyway. 

Miranda was arguably the best hitter in AAA last year. He seems to be doing pretty well so far. Steer is nowhere near the level of hitter Miranda was in the minors though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

They better not trade Brooks Lee, our 2022 1st round pick next year.  

 

2 minutes ago, James said:

It depends on who they get back.  I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it for certain players. 

I don't think they could even if they wanted to until after the World Series this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, whosafraidofluigirussolo said:

Relatively uninformed though I am, I feel kind of the opposite—Steer has less power but a better plate approach and probably more defensive value, no?

With that said, if Miranda's work is sustainable and they believe Austin Martin will bounce back from this bad year, trading Steer is still a good gamble to make.

Yeah ... I mean, I think both are blocked (as others have said) ... still ... you know ... this is how it works, though ... have to give to get

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Puckett34 said:

 

I don't think they could even if they wanted to until after the World Series this year.

They can't trade him this year.  @Irishman did qualify that with "next year".

No big deal though.  Lots of stuff happening.  I almost made the same comment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
1 minute ago, dex8425 said:

Miranda was arguably the best hitter in AAA last year. He seems to be doing pretty well so far. Steer is nowhere near the level of hitter Miranda was in the minors though.

Miranda hit 344/401/973  last year in AA and AAA.   Steer is hitting .269/361/889 in AA and AAA.   Both good,  Miranda had the better season last year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, James said:

They can't trade him this year.  @Irishman did qualify that with "next year".

No big deal though.  Lots of stuff happening.  I almost made the same comment.  

oh, yeah.  look at that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, whosafraidofluigirussolo said:

You could argue that it allocates space on the roster better - but yeah, it's a 40-man-neutral move.

Per Dan Hayes earlier today: "Reds were there to see Simeon Woods Richardson pitch Sunday at Wichita." (link)
If indeed the Reds were scouting SWR, I'm glad they made the deal happen without including him.

Did I read this earlier in this thread? Or on Twitter? I'm lost right now ... but I think I read that both the A's and the Reds were 'heavily scouting' the Twins prospects

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This FO is aggressive without being stupid. 

Both of these players have controllable years left and we gave up redundant prospects or guys that were blocked or a long ways away from the show. Plus on what planet would Terry Ryan have signed CC or done stuff like trade his first round draft choice for a win now pitcher in Gray.

Very happy so far and refreshing from the penny pinching hoard your prospect ways of the past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...