Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Twins vs. Royals, 5/28/22 @ 1:10PM CT

Verified Member

I wonder if Kep isn't feeling well? Hope he doesn't test positive after the game today.

Verified Member
5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Twins batting coach is a real joke.    I'm not that impressed with the Twins batting coach.  Twins need to get James Rowson back next season.

Twins rank in MLB:

8th BA, 13th SLG, 9th OPS, 2nd OPS+; it's not the hitting coach, but maybe situational hitting.

Verified Member
1 minute ago, CRF said:

I wonder if Kep isn't feeling well? Hope he doesn't test positive after the game today.

I doubt it's illness. He definitely wasn't running well

Community Moderator
17 minutes ago, alexthegreat said:

We are about to lose a home series against the ****ing Royals

That can't happen until tomorrow.

Or are you predicting?

1 minute ago, mnfireman said:

Twins rank in MLB:

8th BA, 13th SLG, 9th OPS, 2nd OPS+; it's not the hitting coach, but maybe situational hitting.

Likewise, I think we've overestimated our pitching because all teams are experiencing a drought of hitting - heck, Archer's ERA of 3.86 coming into this game was only 95 ERA+, meaning that was below average, when you'd think that'd be a good number for a starter.

Verified Member

Archer just isn't long for the rotation. At his best he gets you through 4 and some change, but they aren't even a "good" 4+ innings. Every 5th day you can guarantee that you are going to need AT MINIMUM 4 innings out of the relievers, and probably more. It just isn't a recipe to winning single games, or for keeping a good bullpen over 162. 

Verified Member

If Kepler ends up on the IL, the replacement NEEDS to be Royce Lewis. I love Alex Kiriloff, but he still clearly isn't right. He's getting base hits, but only has 4 XBH in 20 games at STP in 73 at bats. This would put him dead last in the MLB compared to team's XBH %, with Detroit being the worst at 5.5%. 

3 minutes ago, Mill1634 said:

If Kepler ends up on the IL, the replacement NEEDS to be Royce Lewis. I love Alex Kiriloff, but he still clearly isn't right. He's getting base hits, but only has 4 XBH in 20 games at STP in 73 at bats. This would put him dead last in the MLB compared to team's XBH %, with Detroit being the worst at 5.5%. 

Which is exactly why they'd bring him up.

Old-Timey Member
2 minutes ago, rwilfong86 said:

I think you are unfortunately correct. 

Except for arraez, who doesn’t appear to ever pack it in

Verified Member
1 minute ago, Schmoeman5 said:

I concur. Flavine have a plan for Lewis and I think it's leaning towards 2023

That's fine, but the combination of this team being better than expected/the division still being terrible (plus Lewis showing he is much more ready than expected) should change those plans. Lewis playing in a utility role for 100 games this year is not going to change anything about Lewis's long term future. You can still get him 1 or 2 starts at SS each week with Correa DH'ing one of those days and sitting the other. 

14 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Likewise, I think we've overestimated our pitching because all teams are experiencing a drought of hitting - heck, Archer's ERA of 3.86 coming into this game was only 95 ERA+, meaning that was below average, when you'd think that'd be a good number for a starter.

He also had a xFIP of near 5.00 entering the game, and he's certainly not the only Twins pitcher in that boat. Smoke and mirrors is maybe too harsh, but a lot has gone right from a pitching perspective. 

Verified Member
3 minutes ago, Mill1634 said:

That's fine, but the combination of this team being better than expected/the division still being terrible (plus Lewis showing he is much more ready than expected) should change those plans. Lewis playing in a utility role for 100 games this year is not going to change anything about Lewis's long term future. You can still get him 1 or 2 starts at SS each week with Correa DH'ing one of those days and sitting the other. 

I'm not disagreeing. But they sent him back down after his 1st stint when he showed his promise. 

Verified Member
Just now, Doctor Gast said:

Why are they PHing Sanchez with Jeffers, Jeffers has been hitting while Sanchez is more of a clutch hitter.

You're correct which is why I doubt this is a good sign for Gary's health. 😓

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Twins community on the internet.