Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

The Twins Bullpen Could Use Some Help


Verified Member
5 hours ago, roger said:

Duffey has serious problems with KC.  Recall hearing that his ERA at Kaufman is alarmingly high.  

... As is Bundy's at Camden Yard. But it seems that our Stat King Management seem to deem these stats as meaningless as they ignore them and run them out there anyway, just the same. But they don't miss an infield  shift, regardless of how ridiculous it looks. Selective analytics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
12 minutes ago, Rosterman said:

Well, it seemed that Duff was the go-to guy and that, in all liklihood, Rocco was hoping he would close out the game with two innings of work. Otherwise, if you were going to close with Duran, he would be up prepping for the ninth. 

Joe Smith only threw three pitches the day before, too.

But you should be able to see that Duff was struggling. The game was close.

And then, the 8th. Even when Sanchez reached first base I would've put Gordon in to run. You need one run to keep the game going. (Although, refresh my mind, how does the DH rule work these days? The current DH can move to a position, but then you MUST use a new bat each time that position comes up in the order for the rest of the game?)

I agree they should've run for Sanchez. Jeffers would've gone to C and they would've lost the DH.

I'm not sure what makes it "in all likelihood, Rocco was hoping he would close out the game." There's no reason to believe that. Duffey has thrown more than 1 inning twice in 18 appearances. There's no reason at all to suggest Duffey was getting a 2 inning save when he hasn't been used like that all season. Closest situation was against the Orioles with a 3 run lead when he finished the 7th before pitching the 8th. The other situation was when they were down 4-0 against the Astros and he pitched the 6th and 7th. Suggesting there was any reason to believe he was getting a 6 out save isn't based on anything that's happened.

Again, I would've pulled him after the Merrifield double and I'm not saying the was the right choice to leave him in or that he deserves no heat. Just saying the game was tied before anyone can say they'd have pulled him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I said I wasn't saying it's the right decision. The game was tied before anyone can say they'd have pulled Duffey. I said having someone ready for Benintendi would've made sense. 

Duffey has made 18 appearances this season. He's allowed even 1 run in 5 of those. Can we not act like he's been getting shelled left and right? He hasn't allowed a single run in 73% of his outings. Before last night he'd allowed runs in 2 of his last 13 appearance. 3 runs in 13.1 innings. It's more than reasonable to have expected him to get out of an inning that started Out, 1B, Out unscathed. After the double I'd have pulled him. All I'm saying is it's not some crazy situation. The Royals pulled their guy after he loaded the bases with no outs. That's very different than 1 on 2 outs after 3 hitters. Rocco should've pulled him before they lost the lead, but Duffey has been good at not giving up runs so it wasn't like he left me out there to give up 15 runs with a 14 run lead.

Rocco is mistaken in considering Duffy a high leverage guy. Didn't he blow the 1st save opportunity of the year? You must admit Rocco hasn't regularly put Duffy into a save opportunity since the 1st week of the season. Why last night? Winnable games need to be won if you are to play in October. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
4 minutes ago, In My La Z boy said:

Rocco is mistaken in considering Duffy a high leverage guy. Didn't he blow the 1st save opportunity of the year? You must admit Rocco hasn't regularly put Duffy into a save opportunity since the 1st week of the season. Why last night? Winnable games need to be won if you are to play in October. 

He wasn't in a save situation last night he was in a hold situation. Don't get me wrong, I'd like an upgrade on Duffey. Not trying to make this into something it isn't. But Duffey's last 5 outings, including last night, have been in high leverage situations. 5/16 Save in 3-1 win, 5/20 7th inning hold in 6-4 win, 5/22 8th inning win in 7-6 win (he held the score in that comeback), 5/24 8th inning hold in 2-0 win, then last night he was thrown in the 8th inning with a 2-0 lead again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

He wasn't in a save situation last night he was in a hold situation. Don't get me wrong, I'd like an upgrade on Duffey. Not trying to make this into something it isn't. But Duffey's last 5 outings, including last night, have been in high leverage situations. 5/16 Save in 3-1 win, 5/20 7th inning hold in 6-4 win, 5/22 8th inning win in 7-6 win (he held the score in that comeback), 5/24 8th inning hold in 2-0 win, then last night he was thrown in the 8th inning with a 2-0 lead again.

I disagree. Rocco had every intention of sending him out for the 9th after the first 2 outs. 2-0 game in the 8th is a high leverage situation regardless of 9th inning plans. I think we agree for the most part here, although I am far more down on Duffy than you seem to be - at least before last night. I find myself cringing when he enters the game anymore. Lost a few mph on the fastball, and where is the wicked curve that used to destroy people? I do not like seeing him after the 7th, and in winnable games. That is my current bias on him. Don't think I'm wrong here. He isn't a high leverage guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Moderator
1 hour ago, chpettit19 said:

Dang, I missed that. Thanks for the info!

I certainly won't say it was the right decision last night, but I don't think it's as egregious as others do. It was 2 outs guy on first after the first 3 hitters. No reason to get anyone up and throwing then, right? Then you get a single. 2 out, guys on 1st and 2nd. Certainly a little nervous, but just needs 1 out and inning over. Whit Merrifield is a good baseball player, but he's also hitting like .220 this year. No problem with letting Duffey face him, but definitely a point in time that you'd think it's probably good to get someone up just in case he doesn't get Merrifield and things start getting ugly. After Merrifield doubles I'd definitely have someone up and throwing and I don't believe that happened so Rocco deserves some heat there. I think it's also reasonable if people think he should've had a lefty ready for Benintendi. Witt is also hitting about .220 this year so you'd expect him to get the out there. Then he gets Dozier.

I get why people are upset, but I think when you look at how it played out it's not a terribly egregious decision. Guy on first, 2 outs turned into 3 runs in in a matter of 4 more hitters. If your relievers can't get 1 out in 4 hitters you're in trouble no matter what. Certainly reasonable that people would want someone ready for Benintendi, but by then the game was already tied. Tied is certainly better than trailing, but nobody can argue in good faith that they'd have taken Duffey out with 1 on 2 outs or 2 on 2 outs before Merrifield doubled. Offense not scoring with the bases loaded 0 outs is far more egregious in my mind.

I absolutely have Duran ready for Merrifield. Duran didn't pitch Wed, only 14 pitches Tuesday, none Monday

There is no chance I let Duffey pitch to Merrifield in that situation. Duran is warming immediaty after the 1st batter reaches. 

There was time. Even if you make a terrible decision and let Duffey cough up the lead, Duran HAS to be in vs Benintendi.

Awful managing. There's zero reason Duran can't be asked for 5 outs, given the bad pen options and Duffey clearly struggling. Duran was getting the 9th anyway. Have him readying as soon as one hitter reaches vs Duffey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
3 minutes ago, In My La Z boy said:

I disagree. Rocco had every intention of sending him out for the 9th after the first 2 outs. 2-0 game in the 8th is a high leverage situation regardless of 9th inning plans. I think we agree for the most part here, although I am far more down on Duffy than you seem to be - at least before last night. I find myself cringing when he enters the game anymore. Lost a few mph on the fastball, and where is the wicked curve that used to destroy people? I do not like seeing him after the 7th, and in winnable games. That is my current bias on him. Don't think I'm wrong here. He isn't a high leverage guy.

Why are we assuming Rocco was going to do something he hasn't done with Duffey last night? He hasn't had a 2 inning save all year. Being convinced that was the plan is simply not based on any real evidence. 

Yes, I agree the 8th in a 2-0 game is high leverage. That's my point. That's the role Duffey has had in most of his appearances. High leverage. I'm not a big fan. I want Alcala back to push Duffey down the line another spot, and I'd like another arm brought in to push him down further. I don't think his success is sustainable anymore. I'm just pointing out that he has been used in high leverage situations in 9 of 11 May appearances. You had stated that Rocco wasn't using him that way since the first week and that isn't accurate. That's exactly how he's been used. The only times he wasn't used in high leverage situations was 5/12 and 5/14 when he hadn't pitched since 5/8 so they had to get him in a game and then he's basically on an every other day schedule so threw in the 5/14 loss as well. I don't like that he's a high leverage guy, but he has been and he's done well more often than not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
46 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I said I wasn't saying it's the right decision. The game was tied before anyone can say they'd have pulled Duffey.

Really? Anyone? Do you really think nobody was screaming at the screen saying get Duffey out of there? I would have pulled him in the pen and not even had him pitch. I would have left in Smeltzer, who said in the post game he didn't want to come out, and Baldelli said that "was the plan, we talked about it the day before, so it didn't matter what lobbying Smeltzer did (not exact quote but paraphrased)." I would have an ultra quick yank on Duffey, because I was watching him pitch yesterday, and paying attention. But I would have had Smith ready as well, and immediately pulled Duffey after he gave up the pinch hit single to O'Hearn. And in comes magic man Smith for the one out, the single out, with the go ahead run, Twin killer Merrifield at the plate. But I would have had someone ready with a pecarious 2 run lead and Duffey on the mound, for sure. He was already at 17 pitches! And then I would have had Duran in the ninth for the save, because we were still ahead 2-0 (and maybe more because the offense would have been loser in the 8th and maybe scored with no outs and the bases loaded). Duffey would not have pitched to Merrifield. The big mistake and flawed part of "the plan" was not having Smith up and ready if needed. If he was, and Baldelli waited, Duffey doesn't pitch to Benintendi, and he certainly doesn't pitch to Witt, now with 25 pitches and the last 4 scared balls to Benintendi after an 0-2 count. Did Baldelli even get anybody out for the whole 34 pitches he watched Duffey throw? I can't remember. I was so livid by then. 

Ah......... the plan. The dreaded unbending rigid plan. These games matter, and should have more respect than the plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
Just now, USAFChief said:

I absolutely have Duran ready for Merrifield. Duran didn't pitch Wed, only 14 pitches Tuesday, none Monday

There is no chance I let Duffey pitch to Merrifield in that situation. Duran is warming immediaty after the 1st batter reaches. 

There was time. Even if you make a terrible decision and let Duffey cough up the lead, Duran HAS to be in vs Benintendi.

Awful managing. There's zero reason Duran can't be asked for 5 outs, given the bad pen options and Duffey clearly struggling. 

You're just as biased about Duffey as Rocco and the FO seem to be, just in the opposite direction. It's more than reasonable that he pitched to Merrifield. Merrifield is slugging .318 this year. That's the same as Nick Gordon. If Duran is the only guy in the pen who can get a guy hitting .220 and slugging .318 out in the 8th the team is doomed anyways.

Not having someone ready for Benintendi was the mistake. And I've said that multiple times now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted in another thread, but would Gordon and a marginal prospect (Sands, Strotman, or Moran) get us Lopez from Baltimore or Trevino from Oakland in return?

I would give Canterino a shot in the bullpen.  I think his motion and max effort fits in the pen rather than as a starter.  He reminds me of James Karinchak who came up a couple of years ago with Cleveland and was lights out for a while before injuries.  

Front office can't afford to wait.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
6 hours ago, tarheeltwinsfan said:

Plus 2 of the next three hitters batted left handed. I totally agree. Smeltzer's ERA is 1 . 

Well, 1 of the next three. Santana is a switch hitter (so against Duffey, left, but Smeltzer he probably would have chosen right). Lopez was the only lefty, and he was the third batter, Still, you don't pull Smeltzer there, until he doesn't get an out, at least. And you have 2 guys warming.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
20 minutes ago, h2oface said:

Really? Anyone? Do you really think nobody was screaming at the screen saying get Duffey out of there? I would have pulled him in the pen and not even had him pitch. I would have left in Smeltzer, who said in the post game he didn't want to come out, and Baldelli said that "was the plan, we talked about it the day before, so it didn't matter what lobbying Smeltzer did (not exact quote but paraphrased)." I would have an ultra quick yank on Duffey, because I was watching him pitch yesterday, and paying attention. But I would have had Smith ready as well, and immediately pulled Duffey after he gave up the pinch hit single to O'Hearn. And in comes magic man Smith for the one out, the single out, with the go ahead run, Twin killer Merrifield at the plate. But I would have had someone ready with a pecarious 2 run lead and Duffey on the mound, for sure. He was already at 17 pitches! And then I would have had Duran in the ninth for the save, because we were still ahead 2-0 (and maybe more because the offense would have been loser in the 8th and maybe scored with no outs and the bases loaded). Duffey would not have pitched to Merrifield. The big mistake and flawed part of "the plan" was not having Smith up and ready if needed. If he was, and Baldelli waited, Duffey doesn't pitch to Benintendi, and he certainly doesn't pitch to Witt, now with 25 pitches and the last 4 scared balls to Benintendi after an 0-2 count. Did Baldelli even get anybody out for the whole 34 pitches he watched Duffey throw? I can't remember. I was so livid by then. 

Ah......... the plan. The dreaded unbending rigid plan. These games matter, and should have more respect than the plan.

I missed the part of his quote that he said they'd decided the day before Smeltzer was only going 7. Like I've even gone back and watched it again now and don't hear him at any point mention that the decision was made the day previous. Is it possible that when he says "once the decision is made" he's talking about in the dugout during the 7th inning and by the time Smeltzer gets to the dugout the in game decision has been made?

For the record I would've kept Smeltzer in as well. Disagreed with taking him out. Doesn't change the fact that Duffey, and anyone else in the pen, needs to be able to get a guy hitting .220 and slugging .318 out in the 8th, or any, inning. If the Twins only have 2 guys who can get that guy out (Duran and Smith apparently) they're screwed. What you're describing here is your, very frequently stated, bias against Rocco and the way he and the organization manage the bullpen, and pitchers in general. And also your bias for Duffey. Duffey got through the 8th inning of a 2-0 game on 5/24, but it was crazy to throw him in the 8th inning of a 2-0 game on 5/26? Is it possible that you just don't like Duffey and are ignoring his positive outings to then rage on his bad ones?

I've said multiple times now that I would've had someone up and ready for Benintendi and that mistakes were made. I've said I'd like to see other arms brought in to push Duffey down the leverage spectrum. But I'm also able to take 1 blown lead by the pen as just 1 blown lead by the pen and not act like the Rocco is blowing games because the offense can't score more than 2 runs in a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Moderator
22 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

You're just as biased about Duffey as Rocco and the FO seem to be, just in the opposite direction. It's more than reasonable that he pitched to Merrifield. Merrifield is slugging .318 this year. That's the same as Nick Gordon. If Duran is the only guy in the pen who can get a guy hitting .220 and slugging .318 out in the 8th the team is doomed anyways.

Not having someone ready for Benintendi was the mistake. And I've said that multiple times now.

Whit Merrifield is not a .220 hitter, I don't care what's happened so far in 2020. Comparing him to Gordon is laughable. It's hard to take you seriously when you say things like this.

In any case you're digging your heels in over 1 hitter. It does happen to be the hitter who got the 2 run double. 

I probably am biased against Duffey. I'm biased against relievers prone to coughing up leads. Call me crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
16 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I missed the part of his quote that he said they'd decided the day before Smeltzer was only going 7. Like I've even gone back and watched it now and don't hear him at any point mention that the decision was made the day previous. Is it possible that when he says "once the decision is made" he's talking about in the dugout during the 7th inning and by the time Smeltzer gets to the dugout the in game decision has been made?

......What you're describing here is your, very frequently stated, bias against Rocco and the way he and the organization manage the bullpen, and pitchers in general. And also your bias for Duffey. Duffey got through the 8th inning of a 2-0 game on 5/24, but it was crazy to throw him in the 8th inning of a 2-0 game on 5/26? Is it possible that you just don't like Duffey and are ignoring his positive outings to then rage on his bad ones?

He didn't mention innings limit, or pitch limit, but that they talked about it  before.... not specific. Maybe it was Smeltzer who mentioned the plan from the day before. Whatever.

Is it possiple that your self claimed connections to the FO in past posts have you biased to always defend them and Baldelli? Is it possible, that what you're describing here is your, very frequently stated, bias in favor of Rocco and the way he and the organization manage the bullpen, and pitchers in general. And also your bias for Duffey?

When the offense and a fellow pitcher hands the ball to you with a 2 run lead to start the 8th, it makes no difference if the score is 2-0 or 10-8. You have the advantage.

Merrifield is a forever Twins' killer. Always has been. Are we to assume Buxton is a mendoza line hitter now, because that is what his average says right now?

I think we can all state our opinions without the projections and personal judgements of bias, don't you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
Just now, USAFChief said:

Whit Merrifield is not a .220 hitter, I don't care what's happened so far I'm 2020. Comparing him to Gordon is laughable.

In any case you're digging your heels in over 1 hitter. It does happen to be the hitter who got the 2 run double. 

I probably am biased against Duffey. I'm biased against relievers prone to coughing up leads. Call me crazy.

Except, as I've already laid out in this thread, Duffey isn't "prone to coughing up leads." He literally pitched a scoreless 8th inning of a 2-0 game 3 days ago. And he pitched a scoreless 8th against this very Royals team 2 days before that. So I'll go ahead and call you crazy I guess. Although I feel biased is probably the better term here.

Whit Merrifield is a .220 hitter this year. Why would we argue that what he's done in the current season doesn't matter? Whit Merrifield didn't have a positive OPS+ last year either. And he's 33. Is it possible he's declined as a baseball player? I'm sorry I'm taking actual happenings from this actual major league baseball season and forming opinions on that instead of just "Whit Merrifield is not a .220 hitter, I don't care what's happened so far (in 2022)" <- assuming that was a typing error there. What a weird argument. "Hey, this guy used to be good so let's ignore what he's been like this season and assume what he's a better hitter than he can show us he is. I mean he is hitting a whopping .231 against the Twins this year so I guess he's really slaughtering them while struggling against everyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
13 minutes ago, h2oface said:

He didn't mention innings limit, or pitch limit, but that they talked about it the day before.... not specific.

Is it possiple that your self claimed connections to the FO in past posts have you biased to always defend them and Baldelli? Is it possible, that that you're describing here is your, very frequently stated, bias in favor of Rocco and the way he and the organization manage the bullpen, and pitchers in general. And also your bias for Duffey?

Of course they talked about a plan the day before! You think that's a new thing? You think they used to show up to the park and just wing it and these crazy, young, know-it-alls are getting crazy and sketching out plans the day before games instead of just waiting until they show up to the park on gameday?

I'm not even defending Baldelli! I have, multiple times in this very thread, said he should've left Smeltzer in and had someone ready for Benintendi and that he made mistakes. What I've said is that it's not as blatantly egregious as people are making it sound. I've complained about Rocco constantly changing lineups. I've said he should've run for Sanchez last night. I've said I don't think Rocco is great and wouldn't be heartbroken if they replaced him, but also point out that you're not going to get someone in there that does things drastically different. I've been bashing the FO everyday since they sent Lewis down. I've been complaining about the rest days for stars all season. I've complained about their 3 true outcome building of a lineup. I've said, multiple times in this very thread, that I want Duffey replaced. But I've also provided real world actual happenings from the 2022 major league baseball season as an explanation of why allowing Duffey to even step foot on the field isn't the travesty you'd like to make it out to be. It's almost like I don't have a hardened stance on all things Rocco and FO and can both praise and be critical as different things happen instead of just labeling them as either just good or just bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, In My La Z boy said:

This is a little harsh. One mans opinion, not even close. Even Bremer said in the 7th that Smeltzer will go deep, maybe to the end because of all the consecutive games coming. As soon as Dick said that I stood up and said NO WAY, HAVE YOU EVER WATCHED A GAME? Dick, me, Top Gunn#22, and I'll wager 90% of the audience thought Smeltzer would/should keep going. And what is the excuse for leaving Duffy out there hanging? This isn't a "low hanging fruit" critique. This was simply throwing a game away by being locked into a predetermined paradigm. You play to win the games. Fine put Duffy out there to start the 8th, but why in the world you just leave him to the end - and why do we not have 14 pitchers when everyone else does and it seems a universal request on the part of managers? Last night was just unnecessary.

You missed the point.  It's an opinion, not a fact.  If Bremer also said the same thing, it's still an opinion.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Moderator
26 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

Except, as I've already laid out in this thread, Duffey isn't "prone to coughing up leads." He literally pitched a scoreless 8th inning of a 2-0 game 3 days ago. And he pitched a scoreless 8th against this very Royals team 2 days before that. So I'll go ahead and call you crazy I guess. Although I feel biased is probably the better term here.

Whit Merrifield is a .220 hitter this year. Why would we argue that what he's done in the current season doesn't matter? Whit Merrifield didn't have a positive OPS+ last year either. And he's 33. Is it possible he's declined as a baseball player? I'm sorry I'm taking actual happenings from this actual major league baseball season and forming opinions on that instead of just "Whit Merrifield is not a .220 hitter, I don't care what's happened so far (in 2022)" <- assuming that was a typing error there. What a weird argument. "Hey, this guy used to be good so let's ignore what he's been like this season and assume what he's a better hitter than he can show us he is. I mean he is hitting a whopping .231 against the Twins this year so I guess he's really slaughtering them while struggling against everyone else.

Whit Merrifield:

Last 7 days .375/.429/.675

 

Last 14 days

.322/.364/,509

 

28 days

.286/,325/,429

 

He's a career .287 hitter. Hit .277 last year. Widely regarded as one of the tougher outs in MLB. He'll be in high demand this July.

 

So yeah, I'm quite comfortable stating he's not a .220 hitter.  And he smoked one up the alley off yet another middle middle nothing pitch from Duffey.

 

No. Way. I. Let. Duffey. Pitch. To. Merrifield. 

 

Speaking if Duffey...you know what opposing hitters are teeing off on him this year?

.278/.316/.514

 

That's right, he's given up an .830 OPS to opposing hitters.

 

He's not very good. Hasnt been for a while.. and yes....prone to coughing up leads. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Leader
4 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

Whit Merrifield:

Last 7 days .375/.429/.675

 

Last 14 days

.322/.364/,509

 

28 days

.286/,325/,429

 

He's a career .287 hitter. Hit .277 last year. Widely regarded as one of the tougher outs in MLB. He'll be in high demand this July.

 

So yeah, I'm quite comfortable stating he's not a .220 hitter.  And he smoked one up the alley off yet another middle middle nothing pitch from Duffey.

 

No. Way. I. Let. Duffey. Pitch. To. Merrifield. 

Fair enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
38 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

Whit Merrifield:

Last 7 days .375/.429/.675

 

Last 14 days

.322/.364/,509

 

28 days

.286/,325/,429

 

He's a career .287 hitter. Hit .277 last year. Widely regarded as one of the tougher outs in MLB. He'll be in high demand this July.

 

So yeah, I'm quite comfortable stating he's not a .220 hitter.  And he smoked one up the alley off yet another middle middle nothing pitch from Duffey.

 

No. Way. I. Let. Duffey. Pitch. To. Merrifield. 

 

Speaking if Duffey...you know what opposing hitters are teeing off on him this year?

.278/.316/.514

 

That's right, he's given up an .830 OPS to opposing hitters.

 

He's not very good. Hasnt been for a while.. and yes....prone to coughing up leads. 

 

 

 

 

Merrifield is a beast! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member
2 hours ago, h2oface said:

... As is Bundy's at Camden Yard. But it seems that our Stat King Management seem to deem these stats as meaningless as they ignore them and run them out there anyway, just the same. But they don't miss an infield  shift, regardless of how ridiculous it looks. Selective analytics.

I wish there was a thing I could click that said, "smiling," cause that's what your comment brought to me.  Thanks.

As for the above discussion about when Duffey should have been pulled.  I agree he was left in the game to long, way too long.  But had he already pitched to three hitters when Merrifield came to bat?  Don't recall if that was something in play, or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cheeseheadgophfan said:

I posted in another thread, but would Gordon and a marginal prospect (Sands, Strotman, or Moran) get us Lopez from Baltimore or Trevino from Oakland in return?

I would give Canterino a shot in the bullpen.  I think his motion and max effort fits in the pen rather than as a starter.  He reminds me of James Karinchak who came up a couple of years ago with Cleveland and was lights out for a while before injuries.  

Front office can't afford to wait.  

Teams don't trade away players, especially RPs at this time of year unless you give them an absurd offer.  They would much rather look at and select from multiple offers at the deadline.  We also have in-house options that deserve a chance not to mention Alcala is hopefully back soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, h2oface said:

Well, 1 of the next three. Santana is a switch hitter (so against Duffey, left, but Smeltzer he probably would have chosen right). Lopez was the only lefty, and he was the third batter, Still, you don't pull Smeltzer there, until he doesn't get an out, at least. And you have 2 guys warming.......

You are correct. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Moderator
1 hour ago, roger said:

I wish there was a thing I could click that said, "smiling," cause that's what your comment brought to me.  Thanks.

As for the above discussion about when Duffey should have been pulled.  I agree he was left in the game to long, way too long.  But had he already pitched to three hitters when Merrifield came to bat?  Don't recall if that was something in play, or not.

2 on, one out when he pitched to Merrifield.  Fourth batter faced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bullpen is in good shape at this time.  Sure, we could always use an established reliever to help but I don't think its a top priority at this time.  as it stands we have these guys in our pen.

Pagan, Duffey, Duran, Theilbar, Smith, Winder, Jax, Stashak, Coloumbe.

We also have in reserve to be called up if needed:  Moran, Cotton, Cano, Megill, Rodriguez, Sands, Romero.  

a few on the injured list that could make it back this season:  Alcala, Romero

and we have pitchers in the minors who have yet to be called up: Canterino, Henriguez, Woods-Richardson, and Strottman

I think if we can get Alcala back and or Romero, we will be fine.  Also We will continue to have 14 pitchers on our staff which will help us manage the reliever's work load.  Like I said acquiring a solid established reliever would be nice as you can never have too much pitching.  However, it's not a necessity at this time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

2 on, one out when he pitched to Merrifield.  Fourth batter faced. 

Wasn't it two out?  Santana had grounded out and Lopez had flied out.  Duffy came in to face the 6-7-8 batters and when one reached he still could have finished matters against the lefty pinch hitter, but didn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

The bullpen is in good shape at this time.  Sure, we could always use an established reliever to help but I don't think its a top priority at this time.  as it stands we have these guys in our pen.

Pagan, Duffey, Duran, Theilbar, Smith, Winder, Jax, Stashak, Coloumbe.

We also have in reserve to be called up if needed:  Moran, Cotton, Cano, Megill, Rodriguez, Sands, Romero.  

a few on the injured list that could make it back this season:  Alcala, Romero

and we have pitchers in the minors who have yet to be called up: Canterino, Henriguez, Woods-Richardson, and Strottman

I think if we can get Alcala back and or Romero, we will be fine.  Also We will continue to have 14 pitchers on our staff which will help us manage the reliever's work load.  Like I said acquiring a solid established reliever would be nice as you can never have too much pitching.  However, it's not a necessity at this time.  

Man....I wish I was as optimistic as you are.  Duffey, Stashak Cano, and Megill are just not high-leverage guys right now.   And Pagan is not far behind.   Romero?  Yuck.  Henriguez and Strotman aren't getting guys out in the minors  Strotman has been terrible.  i've heard nothing about Alcala and i think that is bad news.  He went on the 60 day really quick, which I fear means more than just a sore arm.  

I think a move is necessary right now.  Just my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Moderator
4 hours ago, ashbury said:

Wasn't it two out?  Santana had grounded out and Lopez had flied out.  Duffy came in to face the 6-7-8 batters and when one reached he still could have finished matters against the lefty pinch hitter, but didn't.

Correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Community Moderator
4 hours ago, Brandon said:

as it stands we have these guys in our pen.

Pagan, Duffey, Duran, Theilbar, Smith, Winder, Jax, Stashak, Coloumbe.

We also have in reserve to be called up if needed:  Moran, Cotton, Cano, Megill, Rodriguez, Sands, Romero.  

 

Maybe do a little better research next time..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, chpettit19 said:

Buxton playing through injury and getting mandatory rest/completely out of the game days, Correa getting rest days, and now Polanco being out for multiple days in a row is why they don't have 14 pitchers. If you're going to shorten your bench by 1 guy every game you need an extra bench guy. But they need to be at 13 pitchers after this weekend anyways. I do agree it's not great that they haven't been carrying 14 arms when they could be with these 18 games in 17 days or whatever the number is.

The 14 pitcher rule was pushed back to the 19th

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...