Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Herb Carneal and Cory Provus (and kinda John Gordon) Listening to the Twins


I am not a baseball "insider." I am a casual+ fan who goes to about 10 games a year at Target Field and follows the Twins in the Strib. (Damn you LEN for dropping the beat and becoming a columnist. Phil, I LOVE your bylines.  Megan, I cannot wait to read what you have for us.)

I have long listened to Twins games on the radio. I am old enough to have known Herb Carneal as the voice of my youth. Ahhh summers.  Herb was so languid,  So much crowd noise to fill in the gaps. No uneccesary chatter. Games from the Dome sometimes seemed like Wally The Beer Man was the "color man"  in the booth. When I visited the Baseball Hall of Fame a few years ago, I made it a point to honor you, Herb, alongside Harmon, Rod, Kirby, and Paul.

John Gordon and his "Touch 'em all" were quite a shock to "Carnevors" like me, but I grew to love his excitable voice on the radio,

Which brings me to Provus. I love Provus. He's not Herb. He's not Gordo. He's somewhere in between and he is so, so, good. I want (fingers crossed) for my grandchildren to know Cory Provus the way I knew Herb.

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

Verified Member

I remember Herb Carneal and liked him just fine. He was old school, but not in a bad way. Just a classic radio guy. I didn't care for Gordon all that much, but he was ok. He used to do Yankee games for a while before he came here. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I did hear him from time to time in NYC. Provus is pretty good and I like him and Gladden together, even though Danny is kind of a loose cannon at times. Believe me, there are much worse announcers out there, than what we currently have...both on radio and tv. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Herb was the best. I grew up with him and was literally a part of my life because few games were on TV. Gordon was just ok for me. I love Provus. He has a smooth style that doesn’t get old and I enjoy his dry sense of humor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ho-----ly cow ..... Halsey hall ......

 

Herb was great at calling a game ...

Gordon  was okay  and as the game changes so does the announcing , provich is alright , gladden is just being gladden and tells it like it is , if it's unacceptable  , it's is unacceptable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree 100% about Herb.  He was a master of his trade.  I like Provus a lot.  I hope he stays long term.  One of the great things about baseball announcing is the number of announcers who stay with one team for years and years.  They come to symbolize the team, and become almost like family.  Guys like Harry Caray, Vin Scully, Herb and others were icons.  Many modern announcers feel a need to talk and talk and talk almost to the point where the game becomes secondary to the chatter.  I am an old fart, but I find that distracting.  But, hey, remember when Halsey almost set the booth on fire with his cigar?  Now there was a character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The defining talent of a good radio play-by-play baseball announcer is the ability to accurately and concisely describe the occurrences on the field in a way that the listener understands what happened. I think Cory Provus does a good job. I don't mind some of Dan Gladden's baseball insight and stories, but he never has had and never will have the necessary skill to do play-by-play. I wish Kris Atteberry would replace him in the booth.

Herb Carneal and Vin Scully come to mind as the best when all things are taken into consideration, and it's kind of unfair to hold anyone to standards that high. And by the way, it doesn't hurt to have a good radio voice. (I can't stand listening to John Sterling because he works for the Yankees but he really has the pipes.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 5:10 PM, snotboogie said:

I am not a baseball "insider." I am a casual+ fan who goes to about 10 games a year at Target Field and follows the Twins in the Strib. (Damn you LEN for dropping the beat and becoming a columnist. Phil, I LOVE your bylines.  Megan, I cannot wait to read what you have for us.)

I have long listened to Twins games on the radio. I am old enough to have known Herb Carneal as the voice of my youth. Ahhh summers.  Herb was so languid,  So much crowd noise to fill in the gaps. No uneccesary chatter. Games from the Dome sometimes seemed like Wally The Beer Man was the "color man"  in the booth. When I visited the Baseball Hall of Fame a few years ago, I made it a point to honor you, Herb, alongside Harmon, Rod, Kirby, and Paul.

John Gordon and his "Touch 'em all" were quite a shock to "Carnevors" like me, but I grew to love his excitable voice on the radio,

Which brings me to Provus. I love Provus. He's not Herb. He's not Gordo. He's somewhere in between and he is so, so, good. I want (fingers crossed) for my grandchildren to know Cory Provus the way I knew Herb.

Thoughts?

As an outstater who didn't have cable:

Herb Carneal: Vanilla ice cream. The base level of what radio baseball should be

John Gordon: Twist cone. Combines old school radio broadcast with new era energy

Dan Gladden: Rocky Road. Old school loves him. New school thinks he's nostalgic

Cory Provus: Frozen yogurt. New generations appreciate him. Older generations think he's a fad

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Herb Carneal was just so smooth. 

I do think that with radio guys the more you listen to them you either like them more or hate them more. The opinion never seems to stay static.

John Gordon was good, and gets extra points for navigating Herb's exit with grace. Not easy to follow a legend and make it stick long enough for a generation to think of you as the voice of the Twins. Often, the next guy doesn't last long.

Gladden...can be fun? Sometimes sounds like he's had a few up there? Does a terrible job talking about or using any modern stats. The fact that he has an opinion at all times...YMMV. I generally prefer it, but I wish the Glad-Man would evolve a little more.

Provus is very professional. Wouldn't mind him establishing a little more of his own personality in there, but even on his worst day he's solid and that's a nice foundation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Growing up my favorite years had Herb, Merle Harmon, Halsey and the smooth Ray Scott doing broadcasts on both TV and radio. (Only about 30-35 games on TV).  I liked Ryan Lefebvre and was sad to see him leave for KC. The most professional team we ever had was a few years on TV with Ted Robinson and Jim Kaat, like listening to a national broadcast. 
 

I do like Justin’s insights, a good change of pace to what Bert was. Like Smalley and Hawkins as well. And of course Dick B calls a good game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Provisional Member

Loved Herb back in the day, Gordo grew on me after not liking his antics at first. Then moved out of state for good.  Never heard Cory, so no opinion. Was never a Dick B fan on TV, but living in Detroit now, I'd give anything to have Dick back. Worst TV crew ever here now, w Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson as color guys. Both are awful and play by play is worse,.

However Tiger radio booth is A Plus and been around for almost 20 yrs. Top Shelf .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herb didn't jump out at you on first hearing, but over the course of a long season he wore so very well.  Ideal for keeping up with your team while doing yard work or driving somewhere.  He's my favorite.

Could hardly stand Gordon.  Shrill.  Nuff said.

I moved away and so I'm not exposed to Provus in the same way. The times I listened in, he's been good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ypsi Twins fan said:

Loved Herb back in the day, Gordo grew on me after not liking his antics at first. Then moved out of state for good.  Never heard Cory, so no opinion. Was never a Dick B fan on TV, but living in Detroit now, I'd give anything to have Dick back. Worst TV crew ever here now, w Jack Morris and Kirk Gibson as color guys. Both are awful and play by play is worse,.

However Tiger radio booth is A Plus and been around for almost 20 yrs. Top Shelf .  

Hey! I just passed through Ypsilanti last Saturday.  Took the leisurely route back to the airport after graduation festivities in Ann Arbor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up with John Gordon, so he's very nostalgic for me.  I love Provus though.  I think he does a great job and the Twins are lucky to have him. 

Gladden isn't bad, but not great.  He could use some schooling on the modern stats, but I like having a former major leaguer in the booth to add some context to things, even if the context can be a little bit dated.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Grew up with Gordon and remember the tail end of Herb. Provus is great as well.  As fans I think we have had some pretty good luck with announcers, on TV with Bremer and on the radio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

Halsey Hall, Ray Scott and then Herb. I can still hear his melodious tones in my head. Some of my favorite childhood memories are listening to a late west coast Twins broadcast on a warm July evening. Sitting on the porch with my Mom while she knits something for one of my sisters and the gentle thunder of a far off rain storm provides background to Herb as he describes a Carew to Quilici to Killebrew double play.

Happy days….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Verified Member

I will never forget Herb on WCCO up at the lake in the Summers, as a child. It was the only radio station available and so glad it was. Halsey Hall was always fun and told great stories, as a kid I never realized he was a bit drunk. And that now, as an adult, it only adds more color to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 1:55 PM, shortround81 said:

As an outstater who didn't have cable:

Herb Carneal: Vanilla ice cream. The base level of what radio baseball should be

John Gordon: Twist cone. Combines old school radio broadcast with new era energy

Dan Gladden: Rocky Road. Old school loves him. New school thinks he's nostalgic

Cory Provus: Frozen yogurt. New generations appreciate him. Older generations think he's a fad

 

 

 

 

Excellent breakdown!

I miss Herb and Gordon. Still love to listen to baseball on the radio...I must be old school (still feel young and hip though). I do like to listen to Gladden. he is a great guy. Met him a few times and he really is down to earth and super friendly. Will talk your ear off if you let him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, twinssporto said:

Excellent breakdown!

I miss Herb and Gordon. Still love to listen to baseball on the radio...I must be old school (still feel young and hip though). I do like to listen to Gladden. he is a great guy. Met him a few times and he really is down to earth and super friendly. Will talk your ear off if you let him.

Thank you! :)

Dan Gladden has some excellent Big Dad Energy! I can see him manning the grill at every family reunion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premiere Twins community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...