Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Your Top MLB Rule Change

strumdatjag

My number one rule change would restrict shifts.  Prior to the pitcher releasing the pitch, at least two players must be on “the dirt” (area designated by MLB rule) on each side of 2nd Base.   This still allows for the shifting of infielders, but will reduce the extremes and the use of “short-outfielders” (sorry, if you really like watching a batter grounding out to short right field and being thrown out at first base).  .  By requiring the players to be on “the dirt”, it could also encourage more bunting. 
Note - this rule change does not prohibit the rare use of two outfielders with the third outfielder moving to the infield.   

The shift bugs me, but I agree, what bugs me MORE is how unwilling/unable/disinterested most hitters are to defeat the shift.  For me, my #1 rule change IS and ALWAYS has been ...UNIVERSAL DH !!!  It's always annoyed me that the 2 leagues do not play by the same rules and in Post Season it can cause some "weird stuff."  It looks like I may FINALLY get my wish.  We'll see.

Universal DH and electronic strike zone are my top answers. It’s kind of insane that we’re heading into 2022 and still solely rely on the eye sight and judgment of a middle aged man calling balls and strikes. 

Everything mentioned so far gets a thumbs up from me. The runner on 2nd base starting in the 10th is the dumbest rule implemented in sports since the shootout rule in hockey. 

11 hours ago, Linus said:

Mine would be the batter can’t leave the box and the pitcher can’t step off the rubber or fake throws to first. If this doesn’t speed up the game then we go to a 15 second pitch clock. I’ve got several others in mind but will stick with one. 

Additional to this, each team gets only one timeout/trip to the mound per half inning (except injury) this includes pitching changes.

get your signs right, quit adjusting all your dang pads and if you bring it into the batters box, your bringing it with you the whole way around the bases

13 hours ago, TopGunn#22 said:

The shift bugs me, but I agree, what bugs me MORE is how unwilling/unable/disinterested most hitters are to defeat the shift.  For me, my #1 rule change IS and ALWAYS has been ...UNIVERSAL DH !!!  It's always annoyed me that the 2 leagues do not play by the same rules and in Post Season it can cause some "weird stuff."  It looks like I may FINALLY get my wish.  We'll see.

Same crap , different piles is like the color grey, boring.

8 hours ago, Vanimal46 said:

Universal DH and electronic strike zone are my top answers. It’s kind of insane that we’re heading into 2022 and still solely rely on the eye sight and judgment of a middle aged man calling balls and strikes. 

Everything mentioned so far gets a thumbs up from me. The runner on 2nd base starting in the 10th is the dumbest rule implemented in sports since the shootout rule in hockey. 

Electronic strike zone would be the point at which I would STOP watching the game.  Look at the box they show on television that purports to be the strike zone and then look at the rules defining the strike zone.  Not even close.

My top 10 rule changes:

1. Electronic strike zone. 

2. Electronic strike zone. 

3. Electronic strike zone. 

4. Electronic strike zone. 

5. Electronic strike zone. 

6. Electronic strike zone. 

7. Electronic strike zone. 

8. Electronic strike zone. 

9. Electronic strike zone. 

10. Electronic strike zone. 

Teams have been using the shift since the days of Ted Williams.   It's up to the hitters to adjust, to the adjustments being made to them, and so on.     This would also be my #1 change as umpires continue to miss balls/strikes...well said h2oface.

4 hours ago, h2oface said:

My top 10 rule changes:

4 hours ago, DJL44 said:

Next I'd add 1/8 ounce to the weight of the ball to reduce strikeouts and home runs.

Rule change?  I'd go one better, and correct the mistake that was made generations ago, by declaring all balls hit out of play to be foul balls.  Babe Ruth was a fun novelty, but he identified an imbalance in the game, and it's gradually gotten worse.  On my cranky days, balls hit over the outfield fence are simply outs, not just fouls.  Hit the ball hard, but in play, please, and plan to leg it out if you want a four-bagger.

Oh well.  Robo umps, if no one else is moved by my vision of sweet reason.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, ashbury said:

Rule change?  I'd go one better, and correct the mistake that was made generations ago, by declaring all balls hit out of play to be foul balls.  Babe Ruth was a fun novelty, but he identified an imbalance in the game, and it's gradually gotten worse.  On my cranky days, balls hit over the outfield fence are simply outs, not just fouls.  Hit the ball hard, but in play, please, and plan to leg it out if you want a four-bagger.

I'd be on board with this!  I like baserunners and I like game action.  That would certainly bring both back into the game quickly.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:27 AM, h2oface said:

My top 10 rule changes:

I can only agree with the electronic strike zone if it can be refined to match up wit the rules, and fit each player. There would still need to be a home plate ump to call check swings, plays at home etc..

On 11/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, RpR said:

Actually, that fact that so many batters cannot simply put the ball in a hole often looking to be 40 feet wide, is more disturbing than the shift.

If they teach them to do that, shift will go away.

I remember when they used to do hit and runs so the hitter would get a giant hole on the opposite side of the field.  Now, defenses just give it to them and hitters have not adjusted to it. 

I am 100% for electronic strike zone.  I did read an interesting article about the league they tried it and pitches that looked way out of the zone were called strikes and pitches that seemed like they should be in the zone were not.  The article pointed out it was not that the zone got it wrong, it was that the zone was being adjusted to balance the increased balls in play they also want.  It was also being adjusted for where on the plate the zone was being called, the front or the back.  They do need to work those things out, but I have said for years, if you can get the same zone for everyone, that should be the goal.  Calling accurate balls and strikes is one of the hardest things to do in all of sports.  Although umps may be like 90% right, they are about 50% on the boarder line calls, and they will use bias too.  If they just called a strike they are less likely to call another on the edge.  If there are 2 strikes they are less likely to call a third on the edge, or call ball on the edge with 3 balls.  If it is a strike it should be a strike and if a ball a ball, no matter the count or recent calls. 

Batter cannot completely leave the box unless the ball is replaced.  Or simply put a 15sec pitch clock that starts once the pitcher gets the ball back in his glove.  25 seconds if the ball was replaced so they can re apply resin. Batters and pitchers must follow.  If it is the pitchers fault that the time passed a ball is added.  If it is the batters fault it is a strike.  I hate watching every single pitch the batter steps out to revelcro everything, spit 4 times, adjust the cup, kick the dirt 3 times and step one foot in adjust the helmet spit 3 more times then fully come in.  That takes a good 30-40 seconds i cant stand it.

1, Pace of play - in addition to the pitch clock (and I like the penalties), institute a baserunning clock. Let the player celebrate his HR, but make him run the bases in less than 25 seconds (I think the average is just over 22 seconds, but we all have seen 30-35 second HR trots). Also, no slow walks from the BP on pitching changes, these guys are professional athletes. Shorten time between innings, that last TV commercial can be shown on split screen.

2. Start night games at 6:30 or 7:00, not 6:40, 7:10 or 7:20. A "normal" game will be done by 10:00.

I cannot get onboard with changing to electronic strike zones, just as many variables as (or more than) human umps, up to and including the system going off-line or being hacked. We have all watched games where the replay system was down, the bullpen phones weren't working, the scoreboard quit working, the tv and/or radio feed was down, etc... That and I like the human element part of the game, the players need to figure out the ump and adjust to him (though I guess they can't adjust to a shift).

5 hours ago, wabene said:

18 second pitch clock. That will keep the batters in the box. I'm worried about the Velcro on their gloves, what if it becomes UNDONE? 🥺

We'd also miss out on the Josh Donaldson double-shoulder-shrug stretch when walking into the box before every pitch.

4 hours ago, mnfireman said:

1, Pace of play - in addition to the pitch clock (and I like the penalties), institute a baserunning clock. Let the player celebrate his HR, but make him run the bases in less than 25 seconds (I think the average is just over 22 seconds, but we all have seen 30-35 second HR trots). Also, no slow walks from the BP on pitching changes, these guys are professional athletes. Shorten time between innings, that last TV commercial can be shown on split screen.

2. Start night games at 6:30 or 7:00, not 6:40, 7:10 or 7:20. A "normal" game will be done by 10:00.

I cannot get onboard with changing to electronic strike zones, just as many variables as (or more than) human umps, up to and including the system going off-line or being hacked. We have all watched games where the replay system was down, the bullpen phones weren't working, the scoreboard quit working, the tv and/or radio feed was down, etc... That and I like the human element part of the game, the players need to figure out the ump and adjust to him (though I guess they can't adjust to a shift).

Will never happen.  Can't charge as much for split-screen ads.

Will also never happen--TV and Radio need the time to lead in from other programming.  I think a good compromise would be all games must start on :05 or :35.