Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Eddie Rosario

Number3

7 hours ago, dxpavelka said:

"stat" guys can't measure heart

I am almost anti-stat.  Hard on this site for sure most are all about stats and that is okay, I have learned some things.  However stats have taken away as well.  I will call them the "good old days" because a least for me things like chanting Eddie, Eddie, Eddie was fun.  Bryon Buxton is  really fun!  Sano and Cruz were fun because there is always a chance of an HR.  Berrios was fun to watch pitch.  What I miss the most is the days of the same line up almost every day.  You got to know the team and could find joy in watching most of them.  Now it is easier to stay detached to a certain point because we know we won't likely have them for most of their careers.  I loved Escobar and the heart he played with and he was good.  I still think or hope Sano will be great but if he is they will find a way or reason to trade him.  I think it is sad that we do not really know our players and may not even recognize them if they were walking or sitting right next to us.  Could be just my memory but the last team(s) we had there was Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyher, Punto, Gomez, Delmon Young, Kubel, Casilla maybe even a little Hunter with them in field.  Baker, Liriano, Guardardo, Boof, Baker, Nathan, Perkins and Slowey.  To me all very memorable because they played the majority of the time.  Yes things have changed but I don't think it as done the MLB or at least the Twins any good to go all by stats.

What we are seeing in Atlanta, or Los Angeles, is what Eddie has always been able to bring to the game.  That was several streaks a year when he was on fire, could lift the entire team and carry it for X games.  Was common to happen several times a year and something sorely missed by the Twins in 2021.  

We are now seeing one of those streaks....Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!

So Eddie's WAR 1.1   Now look at Kirillog, Larnach, Garlick, Refsnyder, Celestino & Cave.  Could very easily have kept their leading run producer from each of the three prior seasons.  I even remember a time when management would have been ridiculed for allowing that kind of production to leave rather than pony up for $8-$10 million.  Could have kept Eddie.  Brought up Kiriloff whenever they thought was best to game the system and divided OF starts between, Eddie, Buck, Kep and Kiriloff with someone getting a start at DH every week to 10 days.  Second most plate appearances by an OF in 2021 was Larnach at 301.  Would have been plenty of ABs to go around.  When  those injuries come you  throw Larnach into the mix and never have to lay eyes on a guy like Cave again.  You don't get better when your good players are playing for other teams.  And I haven't even mentioned the one thing Eddie has always brought to the party that can't be measured -- HEART.  Which, let's be honest, outside of half a season from Polanco, NOBODY on this team had this year.

1 hour ago, MABB1959 said:

I am almost anti-stat.  Hard on this site for sure most are all about stats and that is okay, I have learned some things.  However stats have taken away as well.  I will call them the "good old days" because a least for me things like chanting Eddie, Eddie, Eddie was fun.  Bryon Buxton is  really fun!  Sano and Cruz were fun because there is always a chance of an HR.  Berrios was fun to watch pitch.  What I miss the most is the days of the same line up almost every day.  You got to know the team and could find joy in watching most of them.  Now it is easier to stay detached to a certain point because we know we won't likely have them for most of their careers.  I loved Escobar and the heart he played with and he was good.  I still think or hope Sano will be great but if he is they will find a way or reason to trade him.  I think it is sad that we do not really know our players and may not even recognize them if they were walking or sitting right next to us.  Could be just my memory but the last team(s) we had there was Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyher, Punto, Gomez, Delmon Young, Kubel, Casilla maybe even a little Hunter with them in field.  Baker, Liriano, Guardardo, Boof, Baker, Nathan, Perkins and Slowey.  To me all very memorable because they played the majority of the time.  Yes things have changed but I don't think it as done the MLB or at least the Twins any good to go all by stats.

You're right about the "fun" thing.  29 teams are NOT gonna win the World Series every year.  Those teams had better be fun and entertaining to watch or you get what we got this year..  P.S.  How "Twins" is it that Twins Daily named a pitcher who is no longer a Twin as our Pitcher of the Year.  Ouch.

How about Eddie last night. 4-4, 2 homers, game icing 3 run homer in 9th. Eddie said when he hit the second homer needing a double for the cycle, there goes the double. I am surprised he still interviews through a translator. Didn't Gardenhire teach him English?

Will be interesting to see what kind of contract Eddie Rosario gets this winter.

Could it be reminiscent of Daniel Murphy circa 2015? In terms of overall production by OPS+ and bWAR (plus left-handedness), Rosario today is a pretty close comp to Murphy through the 2015 season. Then Murphy had a great NLDS, an even better NLCS (was MVP), before coming back to earth in the WS.

Murphy went from getting $8 mil in his final arb season before that postseason, to getting a 3/37.5 mil FA deal immediately after it.

11 minutes ago, Number3 said:

How about Eddie last night. 4-4, 2 homers, game icing 3 run homer in 9th. Eddie said when he hit the second homer needing a double for the cycle, there goes the double. I am surprised he still interviews through a translator. Didn't Gardenhire teach him English?

I imagine doing national TV interviews in your first deep postseason run is a new kind of pressure.

Rosario did do a full postgame interview on his own in English just a few days ago, which concluded with this:

On 10/20/2021 at 10:12 AM, big dog said:

Good point- and so have several other guys. I've been watching a lot of games and I keep telling my wife "He was a Twin" over and over and over. I don't ever remember a playoff with this many ex-Twins all over the place.

Me too! I've said "there's another former Twin" more that I would have imagined (although they're everywhere)

It is so fun reading the responses to Eddie's great run here. The team we root for is the players, or at least it is for me. That is why I despise the current track of strangers year after year, and trading away (or non tendering or releasing et al....) the players we love to improve the team (which hasn't happened, and rarely does) with hope and dreams prospects. I love seeing the feet in mouths. Keep on spouting the WAR et al. One cannot deny that Eddie is clutch this postseason. Or you can, and I can laugh. Here's to Eddie. He was ours and the so smart FO got rid of him. Now the Twins are more of a house than a home.

4 hours ago, Otto von Ballpark said:

I imagine doing national TV interviews in your first deep postseason run is a new kind of pressure.

Rosario did do a full postgame interview on his own in English just a few days ago, which concluded with this:

My apologies to Eddie and Ron. Glad you pointed that out. Right now Braves fans could not care less if he gave his interviews in Pig Latin. As Teddy Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick.". I hope he doesn't break that bat that he has become so fond of. If he does, maybe the bat boy has made him another one.

1 hour ago, h2oface said:

It is so fun reading the responses to Eddie's great run here. The team we root for is the players, or at least it is for me. That is why I despise the current track of strangers year after year, and trading away (or non tendering or releasing et al....) the players we love to improve the team (which hasn't happened, and rarely does) with hope and dreams prospects. I love seeing the feet in mouths. Keep on spouting the WAR et al. One cannot deny that Eddie is clutch this postseason. Or you can, and I can laugh. Here's to Eddie. He was ours and the so smart FO got rid of him. Now the Twins are more of a house than a home.

Long ago, when I was in grad school (early 1980s) I was looking at the Twins roster and was shocked at the turnover. I don't remember what the exact years were, but I took ML opening day rosters from maybe 3 years prior and looked at how many Twins were still on the team. It was something like 7, some crazy small number.

I then decided to compare that to other teams. One team had 10 players, everyone else had fewer than 10. I think a couple teams only had 5. Rapid player rotation has been happening for a long time.  The arbitration rules have certainly changed a team's willingness to keep guys through their free agent year, but the turnover has been high for a long time.

On 10/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, bean5302 said:

I've always believed Rosario possessed an elite hit tool, but it was clear to me he wasn't willing to adapt to be a player his strengths suggested he should be. High average and on base percentage, mediocre power with good defense. Rosario, instead, wanted to hit a home run at every single plate appearance and rely entirely on his athleticism in the outfield.

Being non-tendered by the Twins and getting the paltry offer he did is the only thing which may have lit a fire under him or shown him he has to adapt at this point. Which will give in? His pride or his brain?

He got 8 million form Cleveland.  I wish I could get something that paltry....

On 10/21/2021 at 8:47 AM, Number3 said:

Rosario's first major league game was in 2015. He never played for Gardy. Molitor was manager then.

13 hours ago, adorduan said:

He got 8 million form Cleveland.  I wish I could get something that paltry....

I'd take league minimum to play for the Yankees (only because I'd be horrible and hurt their chances at winning even with my absolute best effort)!

I'm not a free agent, 29 year old, starting corner outfielder without a QO. One year for $8MM is pretty paltry for that.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:47 AM, Number3 said:

I am surprised he still interviews through a translator. Didn't Gardenhire teach him English?

Well, brush up on your Spanish, then. I mean, who cares what language he does his interviews in? English-speaking news outlets aren't the only ones following these games. And in such an emotional, hyped-up moment, it's even more difficult to command your 2nd language, as words and emotions don't always translate as you want them to. Kudos to Eddie, no matter what his language of origins or choice is.  I ❤️ Eddie! 

On 10/24/2021 at 8:03 AM, Nine of twelve said:

Rosario's first major league game was in 2015. He never played for Gardy. Molitor was manager then.

Oops. Can't believe its been that long since Gardy days.

16 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Well, brush up on your Spanish, then. I mean, who cares what language he does his interviews in? English-speaking news outlets aren't the only ones following these games. And in such an emotional, hyped-up moment, it's even more difficult to command your 2nd language, as words and emotions don't always translate as you want them to. Kudos to Eddie, no matter what his language of origins or choice is.  I ❤️ Eddie! 

I actually had 4 years of Spanish in high school and 2 more after that but now my vocabulary is shot.  I certainly was not being critical and last night he did it again quite possibly keeping the Braves from a game 7 against Sherzer. Easy NlCS MVP.

Rosario was asked what was the difference from CLE to ATL? He said weather. I think that Rosario has been focusing on plate discipline the last couple of years (which I think he has progressed) but I think the most amazing thing about Rosario is that he reinvented himself. 

He always wanted to be the hero so every pitch he tried to hit a HR. As pitchers figured him out less likely that was going to happen. At ATL he seemed to discovered that he could become a hero w/o always hitting a HR. He could hit a line drive or go the other way and at the same time if he found a pitch to crush he did so.

In '19 with the juiced ball, a lot of stress was given to launch angle, getting a full swing and etc. Post '19 contact many of those HRs of '19 are outs together w/ more SOs. So philosophy need to change, coaches need to coach contact and going with the pitch and take it to the opposite field. I'm assuming that ATL did that. While at MN hitting coaches left the hitters alone to figure it out on their own w/o coaching how. My hope is the new hitting coach will do that. If Rosario was able to reinvent himself and adapt. Why can't our hitters. Buxton & Polanco never really went all out on the old philosophy so it was easier for them to excel (when healthy). The others I think will come around when taught HRs are not the goal.

Eddie Rosario. Not even a Twin anymore but still generating 5 pages of comments here. Eddie might earn himself a World Series ring tonite. Like diehardtwinsfan I'm not a Braves fan either, but I'll be rooting for Eddie and the Braves tonite; beat those Houston Cheatos.

It will be interesting to see how Eddie does in these last 1 or 2 games since the Series is now basically even because the Braves do not want a game 7. No matter, I am sure he will always remember the 2021 season as one that took a nice turn for the better in his career.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, Doctor Gast said:

Rosario was asked what was the difference from CLE to ATL? He said weather. I think that Rosario has been focusing on plate discipline the last couple of years (which I think he has progressed) but I think the most amazing thing about Rosario is that he reinvented himself. 

He always wanted to be the hero so every pitch he tried to hit a HR. As pitchers figured him out less likely that was going to happen. At ATL he seemed to discovered that he could become a hero w/o always hitting a HR. He could hit a line drive or go the other way and at the same time if he found a pitch to crush he did so.

In '19 with the juiced ball, a lot of stress was given to launch angle, getting a full swing and etc. Post '19 contact many of those HRs of '19 are outs together w/ more SOs. So philosophy need to change, coaches need to coach contact and going with the pitch and take it to the opposite field. I'm assuming that ATL did that. While at MN hitting coaches left the hitters alone to figure it out on their own w/o coaching how. My hope is the new hitting coach will do that. If Rosario was able to reinvent himself and adapt. Why can't our hitters. Buxton & Polanco never really went all out on the old philosophy so it was easier for them to excel (when healthy). The others I think will come around when taught HRs are not the goal.

It would be really interesting to know if Atlanta's coaches actually influenced change.  They did not even use him the first month he was there.  He had 11 PAs.  Were they working on something?  After Sept 1 he had 98 PAs and an OPS of 916.  It drove me crazy they just let him continue to take horrible ABs.  He obviously has talent but outside of Kirby and Vlad Guererro, swinging at balls a foot outside the zone is not going to work.