Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Need a JOB?


Brandon
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

The Twins have several openings including head of research team.  Help make your team awesomerr.   https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/minnesota-twins-job-openings.html


This is one of those things I never really thought about, but of course the team has a dedicated technology / operations group to support the organization. Just where are the team offices actually located?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kidding aside, I don't remember who previously had the Director position for research.  I don't remember seeing anything about someone leaving, either.  It helps to look at the team's FO:

https://www.mlb.com/twins/team/front-office

For research I don't see the Director position, even as "vacant", although there are 7 employees listed with research in the job title.

They could intend to promote from within, but are posting the opening just on general principles.

Intriguing, though I'm not in the job market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked further and noticed that they no longer have any scouting positions on their org chart. The head of research position requires a masters in sabermetrics and proven ability to evaluate talent (or not) without ever seeing the player. Only rows and columns of numbers are available for making evaluation decisions. Previous experience necessary does not include having played the game or being knowledgeable about the game in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Number3 said:

I looked further and noticed that they no longer have any scouting positions on their org chart. The head of research position requires a masters in sabermetrics and proven ability to evaluate talent (or not) without ever seeing the player. Only rows and columns of numbers are available for making evaluation decisions. Previous experience necessary does not include having played the game or being knowledgeable about the game in general.

Are you suggesting the Twins have no scouts and base 0% of their decisions on eyes on observations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ashbury said:

Kidding aside, I don't remember who previously had the Director position for research.  I don't remember seeing anything about someone leaving, either.  It helps to look at the team's FO:

https://www.mlb.com/twins/team/front-office

For research I don't see the Director position, even as "vacant", although there are 7 employees listed with research in the job title.

They could intend to promote from within, but are posting the opening just on general principles.

Intriguing, though I'm not in the job market.

I believe it was at one point Daniel Adler who was promoted to Operations but I assume for a while he kept that part of his job duties. Guessing they are splitting it up to free up Adler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ashbury said:

From the Twins org chart:

Assistant Director, Baseball Operations: Nick Beauchamp

Hey Brock! Any relation?

Don't even start.

Nick.

You ****ing ****, I'll never forgive you for that time you ****ing **** did that thing that ****ing ruined every **** **** thing ever.

**** **** bitch **** little piece of ****.

Yeah, we're family!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, chpettit19 said:

Are you suggesting the Twins have no scouts and base 0% of their decisions on eyes on observations?

I am suggesting that I am having some fun with this. I do have the opinion that all of this reliance on ....metrics garBAGE has gone way too far and overall has not been beneficial to the game or acquiring the best baseball players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Number3 said:

I am suggesting that I am having some fun with this. I do have the opinion that all of this reliance on ....metrics garBAGE has gone way too far and overall has not been beneficial to the game or acquiring the best baseball players.

I'd argue it's done a great deal to help teams acquire the best baseball players, but agree it has not been beneficial to the game. Our understanding of what makes a player good has grown exponentially, but it's ruined the product on the field and that's a shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chpettit19 said:

I'd argue it's done a great deal to help teams acquire the best baseball players, but agree it has not been beneficial to the game. Our understanding of what makes a player good has grown exponentially, but it's ruined the product on the field and that's a shame.

Yep. The performance level of baseball has never been higher while the entertainment of baseball has never been lower.

Well, maybe 19th century baseball was worse but we’ll never know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, chpettit19 said:

I'd argue it's done a great deal to help teams acquire the best baseball players, but agree it has not been beneficial to the game. Our understanding of what makes a player good has grown exponentially, but it's ruined the product on the field and that's a shame.

Math isn't fun to watch? Shocking!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yep. The performance level of baseball has never been higher while the entertainment of baseball has never been lower.

Well, maybe 19th century baseball was worse but we’ll never know. 

I think the performance level has little to do with metrics and a whole lot to do with athletes in all sports today being bigger, faster, stronger. Plus the days of showing up for an afternoon game with a hangover are long gone. Reminds me of the Mantle story when he showed up at game time totally wasted not planning to play that day but did have to pinch hit. Hit about a 500 foot home run and had no idea how.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Number3 said:

I think the performance level has little to do with metrics and a whole lot to do with athletes in all sports today being bigger, faster, stronger. Plus the days of showing up for an afternoon game with a hangover are long gone. Reminds me of the Mantle story when he showed up at game time totally wasted not planning to play that day but did have to pinch hit. Hit about a 500 foot home run and had no idea how.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Where do you draw the line between analytics and strength conditioning? Many times, they're two sides of the same coin. Josh Donaldson obviously does a lot of strength conditioning but he also speaks very highly of how things like force plates allowed him to study what his body is doing and how to maximize that strength.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Number3 said:

I think the performance level has little to do with metrics and a whole lot to do with athletes in all sports today being bigger, faster, stronger. Plus the days of showing up for an afternoon game with a hangover are long gone. Reminds me of the Mantle story when he showed up at game time totally wasted not planning to play that day but did have to pinch hit. Hit about a 500 foot home run and had no idea how.

Where the 'metrics' have impacted the game has been the ability to train for small improvements.

Old days: "If you want to really sneak one past Babe Ruth, you gotta pitch low and put a little english on the ball."

Today: "If you want to really sneak one past Babe Ruth, we've analyzed that his contact percentage on low and away breaking balls is 27% less, and we've determined that if Bob Pitcher wipes his forehead twice, touches the rosin bag once then sets his shoulder to a 27 degree angle on the windup the low and away pitch breaks at a 55% faster rate."

The ability to train and coach for those kinds of scenarios can make a big difference over the course of a game.  For whatever reason in the pitcher vs. hitter scenarios, the small improvements - even without sticky stuff - seem to favor the pitchers more than the batters in 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Featured Video

×
×
  • Create New...