Twins Daily
  • Create Account

So, the Yankees tried to acquire Simmons at the deadline

2 minutes ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

Funny, i *just* came from checking the twins new there and nothing since designating 6... Evidently this is only Yankee news?

It's not under the Twins because the Twins are never mentioned in it.

1 hour ago, KirbyDome89 said:

Tell me this wasn't another "he's a leader/vet and we need to maintain respectability," decision, a la Pineda. 

If they plan to retain Pineda and didn’t receive any decent offers, I can understand keeping him.

I literally would have given Simmons away to anyone who would take him. 

After reading the article, I’m more skeptical of the report. Why was it never reported before? Why is the first mention of it a small handful of throwaway words in an article about this off-season?

I’m going to need someone to show their work on this one.

Maybe it’s true. In that case I vehemently disagree with the decision. But I need to see the work. 

20 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

If they plan to retain Pineda and didn’t receive any decent offers, I can understand keeping him.

So take the Powerball ticket and sign him as a FA? It's nowhere near the top 5 as far as mistakes go, but the rationale that the team needed to maintain respectability was pretty laughable.

10 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

After reading the article, I’m more skeptical of the report. Why was it never reported before? Why is the first mention of it a small handful of throwaway words in an article about this off-season?

I’m going to need someone to show their work on this one.

Maybe it’s true. In that case I vehemently disagree with the decision. But I need to see the work. 

It's odd that we are just now hearing this.  And we have no details as to what the Yankees supposedly offered.

19 minutes ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

It’s not hard to imagine that the Yankees called the Twins inquiring about Simmons, and that would be enough to call it “interest.” 

Still, the response from the Twins should have been: DoneDeal!He’syoursNoBacksies TooBadSoSad *click*

We don't actually know what transaction was discussed.  Maybe the Twins would have had to eat half of the remaining salary just to be rid of him, with Ryan LaMarre coming back as a fig leaf for dignity's sake, and the discussion never progressed from that kind of insult.  I don't believe the Yankees actually acquired any middle infielders at the deadline, so whatever discussion there was was likely brief and not terribly motivated.

31 minutes ago, glunn said:

It's odd that we are just now hearing this.  And we have no details as to what the Yankees supposedly offered.

And as I said in a chat with friends, if there is news about what the Yankees are doing, it’s reported. Is there a more media-smothered team in all of sports than the Yankees?

14 minutes ago, ashbury said:

We don't actually know what transaction was discussed.  Maybe the Twins would have had to eat half of the remaining salary just to be rid of him, with Ryan LaMarre coming back as a fig leaf for dignity's sake, and the discussion never progressed from that kind of insult.  I don't believe the Yankees actually acquired any middle infielders at the deadline, so whatever discussion there was was likely brief and not terribly motivated.

Just moving on from Simmons and allocating those ABs and defensive innings elsewhere would've been a win. If a team was willing to pay any part of what was left on his deal, it should've been a no brainer. I don't see the insult. 

49 minutes ago, ashbury said:

I don't believe the Yankees actually acquired any middle infielders at the deadline, so whatever discussion there was was likely brief and not terribly motivated.

Right. There’s a difference between serious discussion and “just asking”.

18 minutes ago, KirbyDome89 said:

Just moving on from Simmons and allocating those ABs and defensive innings elsewhere would've been a win. If a team was willing to pay any part of what was left on his deal, it should've been a no brainer. I don't see the insult. 

I agree in that I would have given him for nothing.

My problem comes with the report itself, which is beyond sketchy. It’s a throwaway line in an article about a different subject, two months after the deadline during which we heard zero reports about Simmons and the Yankees.

3 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

My problem comes with the report itself, which is beyond sketchy. It’s a throwaway line in an article about a different subject, two months after the deadline during which we heard zero reports about Simmons and the Yankees.

The MLBTR article links to a piece by Andy Martino, who in turn used the usual phrase, "according to sources."  He seems to have a reputation to keep, so I'm inclined to accept that this was passed to him by someone in the Yankees organization who had knowledge.  Martino's the author of a book about the Astros cheating scandal, so I am predisposed to like him.  Then again he covers New York teams, so there's that.  :)

23 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I agree in that I would have given him for nothing.

If there was no contact, or NY simply didn't want him regardless of price that's another story. Short of that, it's questionable at best from the Twins standpoint. 

13 minutes ago, Sousy said:

“Look - legally you have to give up something in a trade. Don’t you have a dollar in your pocket or something?”

"We already went over this.  You give us the rights to Andrelton Simmons's contract.  We give you the right to no longer have Simmons.  Is that not clear enough?"

6 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I would almost guess that that is the case. My assumption is that the Twins would have had to add a decent prospect to take it on... My guess is this was a throw-away sentence.