Twins Daily
  • Create Account

In unsurprising moves Twins Outright 6 Players Off the 40 man Roster

Brandon

Dropping Maggi after not giving him an at-bat is just a kick in the teeth. Though I believe in the kid and think he will have a place on a roster somewhere next year, would have been right for the Twins to reward the kid a little for the years and time he has given this organization, especially in a lost year like 2021. Best of luck to him. 

49 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

The 40 man doesn't usually have this many easy decision. 

Clearly the roster depth isn't what it used to be.

It also doesn't typically have 9 guys on the 60-Day IL. 

These were definitely the easy decisions. There are the free agents who will come off after the World Series. Then there are several tough decisions. 

56 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

The 40 man doesn't usually have this many easy decision. 

Clearly the roster depth isn't what it used to be.

Not sure I agree with this take. I think it means the minors have great prospects that need protection, and that they are going to sign or trade for better players. If anything, the previous regime protected mediocre players too much and refused to sign legit free agents or trade prospects for them. 

From the MLBTR article: "All of the players dropped from the roster today will be eligible to become free agents."

Not that any of the six mentioned today are worth very much, but I think the loss of Edwar Colina to the Rangers via waivers takes on an additional light.  I still anticipate the Rangers exposing Colina to waivers later on this month; if he passes through, then they can keep him.  By contrast, grabbing any of today's six and then trying waivers later on would still leave them free agents.  Another team might as well wait and sign any of them they want to a minor-league contract during the off-season.

45 minutes ago, Seth Stohs said:

It also doesn't typically have 9 guys on the 60-Day IL. 

These were definitely the easy decisions. There are the free agents who will come off after the World Series. Then there are several tough decisions. 

I don't think it will be tough.  Only maybe 4 - 5 of the names I saw will need to be kept. Rest can be DFA'd and hopefully 1 or 2 signed to minor league contracts.  Twins had little depth this year, so replacing the marginal players should be automatic.  Plus we have a lot of minor leaguers to protect.

Just now, ashbury said:

From the MLBTR article: "All of the players dropped from the roster today will be eligible to become free agents."

Not that any of the six mentioned today are worth very much, but I think the loss of Edwar Colina to the Rangers via waivers takes on an additional light.  I still anticipate the Rangers exposing Colina to waivers later on this month; if he passes through, then they can keep him.  By contrast, grabbing any of today's six and then trying waivers later on would still leave them free agents.  Another team might as well wait and sign any of them they want to a minor-league contract during the off-season.

Twins definitely jumped the gun on Colina. These 6 plus other mediocre players needed to go 1st.

Just now, Brock Beauchamp said:

Does the order really matter if Colina was going to be waived anyway?

It could very likely be. If we waited longer until the weaker teams fill out their rosters then we could sneak him through waivers and be in control of him. Now Texas can wait and sneak him through waivers and have control of him.

I do hope the Twins can resign a few to minor league deals.  Nick Vincent, Barraclough, and Farrell had some value.  Andrew Albers is a sentimental favorite so I am cool with a AAA deal for him as well.... Maybe he can become a coach when his pitching days are done?

7 minutes ago, KirbyDome89 said:

If they wanted the best shot at keeping him it does right? If they're done with him, ok, but then the timing of it still seems odd. 

It does seem odd and it surprised me, I'm just unconvinced that anything would have played out differently in three weeks.

6 minutes ago, KirbyDome89 said:

If they wanted the best shot at keeping him it does right? If they're done with him, ok, but then the timing of it still seems odd. 

When they said a second procedure occurred for Colina, that tells me its ok to move on.... While I would like to keep him, we need more roster spaces for depth then ever before.  They need to expand to 45 man rosters.

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

When they said a second procedure occurred for Colina, that tells me its ok to move on.... While I would like to keep him, we need more roster spaces for depth then ever before.  They need to expand to 45 man rosters.

Sure, if they're out on him based on medicals then cut bait. If that was the case though Idk why he wouldn't have been included with the other 6. To me, the fact that he was a separate transaction suggests they preferred to retain him. I think there was a better time to make the move in that case. I could be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, KirbyDome89 said:

Sure, if they're out on him based on medicals then cut bait. If that was the case though Idk why he wouldn't have been included with the other 6. To me, the fact that he was a separate transaction suggests they preferred to retain him. I think there was a better time to make the move in that case. I could be wrong. 

I could be wrong too, but probably Colina WAS included with the other six. Waivers take three days and generally are unannounced during the process, so the team didn't know until now that the other six had cleared and they could be outrighted?

3 minutes ago, ashbury said:

I could be wrong, but probably Colina WAS included with the other six. Waivers take three days and generally are unannounced during the process, so the team didn't know until now that the six had cleared and they could be outrighted?

Stop being reasonable. This is the internet!

55 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Undo hope the Twins can resign a few to minor league deals.  Nick Vincent, Barraclough, and Farrell had some value.  Andrew Albers is a sentimental favorite so I am cool with a AAA deal for him as well.... Maybe he can become a coach when his pitching days are done?

Definitely undo hope my friend.  None of those should be retained in my opinion.  Especially just to keep as a coach.  This is roster scraps.  None of these players should be on a major league roster or even a 40 man.  Not sure we're the value is that you speak of?

2 hours ago, KirbyDome89 said:

Do we know he wasn’t done at the same time?  He was the only claimed, so we found about him while the others were in those X days of limbo.

1 hour ago, se7799 said:

Definitely undo hope my friend.  None of those should be retained in my opinion.  Especially just to keep as a coach.  This is roster scraps.  None of these players should be on a major league roster or even a 40 man.  Not sure we're the value is that you speak of?

When I read your comment about “roster scraps,” it pained my heart.  These are all fantastic baseball players, just not among the best 780 in the world.

10 hours ago, davesaxton said:

Dropping Maggi after not giving him an at-bat is just a kick in the teeth. Though I believe in the kid and think he will have a place on a roster somewhere next year, would have been right for the Twins to reward the kid a little for the years and time he has given this organization, especially in a lost year like 2021. Best of luck to him. 

Totally classless and clueless decision by Baldelli and Falvey.  Still leaves a very sour taste with me.  Maggi was EVERYTHING you'd want as a professional with over 4000 milb ABs.  F- grade on failing to get Maggi into a game.

10 hours ago, davesaxton said:

8 hours ago, Thegrin said:

I think a good number of those on the 60-day disabled list will be DFA'd also. Smeltzer, Thorpe, Garlick & perhaps Stashak come to mind.

I think you're on the right track with the exception of Stashak.  Saying that, he's on pretty thin ice.