Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread Twiggers vs. Tines 6:40pm cdt 9/29/2021


sampleSizeOfOne
 Share

"3,000 years of beautiful tradition, you're right, i'm living in the passed" -Walter Sobchek, toned down because this is a family restaurant, despite basic freedoms that effect everybody...

 

Not to get lost in popular quote, the past is kinda important. What are your favorite Twins moments, over the years, or over this season? Or if not favorite, stand out as memorable?

 

I still think that game in Oakland where Byron homered in extras, then consecutive throwing errors lost the game for us was pretty crazy.

 

And i know i harped on it in a previous game thread intro, but so many former (or shoulda been) Twins are playing for Detroit, it is like memories haunting ya.

Just to be totally clear who is who....

 

Them:

0. Casey Mize (R) P

1. Akil Baddoo (L) CF

2. J. Schoop (R) 1B

3. R. Grossman (S) LF

4. Miguel Cabrera (R) DH

5. J. Candelario (S) 3B

6. Harold Castro (L) 2B

7. Eric Haase (R) C

8. Niko Goodrum (S) SS

9. Daz Cameron (R) RF

 

Us:

0. Michael Pineda (R) P

1. Luis Arraez (L) 2B

2. Byron Buxton (R) CF

3. Jorge Polanco (S) DH

4. Josh Donaldson (R) 3B

5. Max Kepler (L) RF

6. Miguel Sano (R) 1B

7. Nick Gordon (L) SS

8. Jake Cave (L) LF

9. Ryan Jeffers (R) C

 

And Twigs being little sticks, and Tines being the ends of forks, seems like we got an even match tonight... We could still catch 'em theoretically. Only the Cubs can catch us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

What are your favorite Twins moments, over the years, or over this season? Or if not favorite, stand out as memorable?

Al Newman throwing home to get Willie Wilson in 1987.  It was the top of the first and the Twins won 8-1, so it wasn't a game saving play.  But it was a pennant race, at home having lost two against their divisional contender, and I can't remember a moment more electric.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

What are your favorite Twins moments, over the years, or over this season? Or if not favorite, stand out as memorable?

I was never one of those 'starry-eyed' Mauer fans, I wasn't one of his detractors, either. He is and was a special talent, though. So one of my moments will always be in his last game when he came out in his catcher gear, to end his career where it started, as a catcher. I think it was the only time I was ever moved to tears over a game moment. That I recall, anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Al Newman throwing home to get Willie Wilson in 1987.  It was the top of the first and the Twins won 8-1, so it wasn't a game saving play.  But it was a pennant race, at home having lost two against their divisional contender, and I can't remember a moment more electric.

2 general moments come to mind. 1.  Cesar Tovar legging out a triple.  2.  Harmon Killebrew coming out on deck in the ninth at the Met, in a game he did not start.  The one in particular was against Oakland, and he hit a homer to win the game for the Twins 3-2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many favorite Twins moments. Concur with a couple mentioned above. This one, a rather random July game right before the AS Game, is another favorite of mine. Brian Dozier caps off aa  huge 9th inning rally against the Tigers as the Twins come back from a 6-0 deficit. Mrs Chief and I happened to be in Minnesota that day, and caught the end of the game on the radio as we drove to pick up Jake's Pizza in Willmar. Mrs Chief normally doesn't get all that excited, but even she let out an explative or two as Dozier's HR was called.

 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=dozier+walks+off+detroit&type=E211US105G0#id=2&vid=c749de35b9af64ed293f5b7bdf06c066&action=click

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

Many favorite Twins moments. Concur with a couple mentioned above. This one, a rather random July game right before the AS Game, is another favorite of mine. Brian Dozier caps off aa  huge 9th inning rally against the Tigers as the Twins come back from a 6-0 deficit. Mrs Chief and I happened to be in Minnesota that day, and caught the end of the game on the radio as we drove to pick up Jake's Pizza in Willmar. Mrs Chief normally doesn't get all that excited, but even she let out an explative or two as Dozier's HR was called.

 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=dozier+walks+off+detroit&type=E211US105G0#id=2&vid=c749de35b9af64ed293f5b7bdf06c066&action=click

If you go delving into archived game threads you will find something about a conga line around the bases. That was a pretty good game thread too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a non-baseball field moment, that really touched me.  My son knew a bank employee in Phoenix who handled Harmon's account.  She told Harmon she knew someone who really was a fan. (Referring to me).  Next time Harmon goes to the bank he brings her an autographed ball to give to me.  My son picked the ball up and noticed Harmon's signature was smudged.  No big deal and nothing was said about it.  A few weeks later, Harmon is in the bank and mentions that the ball he dropped off was autographed with a pen that smeared.  He said he would bring a newly autographed ball.  Now anyone who knew anything about Harmon, was that he took great pride in his autograph.  Well, Harmon never made it back to the bank.  He was hospitalized and then went into hospice.  He died very soon after.  That ball sits on my dresser,  and is a very personal possession of mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

Featured Video

×
×
  • Create New...