Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2021 Arizona Fall League

On MLB.com today, they announced their 2021 schedule which will begin on October 13th. 

We'll try to keep updated on what is going on and which Twins players will be.

Darren Wolfson tweeted that Matt Wallner will be one participant. 

The teams will be broken out like the below. The Twins prospects will be playing for the Scottsdale Scorpions. 

40 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Hoping Lewis is healthy enough....

That would be fantastically good fortune. The Athletic reported he began jogging at the end of August and should have started sprinting at the very end of August. Given the change allowing players to attend the AFL more than once in 2019, I'd think Lewis is far enough ahead of standard timelines it could be possible?

4 minutes ago, Seth Stohs said:

Won't happen. Just chatted with him recently. He just met with the doctor in Minneapolis 2 weeks ago and got the ability to do more, but I don't think includes game action. 

Yeah, just to be clear, while the AFL website finally has the schedule posted, the Rosters tab still seems to reflect 2019, unless Luke Raley and Dakota Chalmers are being brought back to the Twins organization somehow. :) They haven't named the players yet, so if I were in charge I'd take down the outdated website material; the Twins aren't even Salt River anymore, they're Scottsdale.

Indeed the linked article is still the one dated July 21, and it's only the schedule that is new.  This one is more up to date, and contains the info I was looking for: fans are welcome under whatever Covid protocols they have in place.  Gonna give this some serious consideration.

5 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Yeah, just to be clear, while the AFL website finally has the schedule posted, the Rosters tab still seems to reflect 2019, unless Luke Raley and Dakota Chalmers are being brought back to the Twins organization somehow. :) They haven't named the players yet, so if I were in charge I'd take down the outdated website material; the Twins aren't even Salt River anymore, they're Scottsdale.

Indeed the linked article is still the one dated July 21, and it's only the schedule that is new.  This one is more up to date, and contains the info I was looking for: fans are welcome under whatever Covid protocols they have in place.  Gonna give this some serious consideration.

Yeah, they always announce the schedule and the team compositions a couple of days before they announce the rosters. I would guess we'll hear by the end of the week. 

Hard to project which players MIGHT be on the roster. It's not always just the top prospects. It sometimes is just a place for players to make up for lost time. Matt Wallner fits both categories. First-round pick, a prospect and missed about 2 months with the broken hamate. 

To some degree, the idea with hitters is the same as pitchers. They want to get innings but also want to shut guys down sometimes. I think if Winder can pitch, he would make sense for 25 more innings. Same with Sands. I don't think Balazovic needs more innings, but it would probably be good for Simeon Woods Richardson. Maybe a Kody Funderburk type. With relievers, it's almost impossible to guess. 

If they get a catcher, my vote would go to Alex Isola, because he can also play first and he had a really nice season. David Banuelos could too because of his defense and because he didn't get a lot of at bats. Maybe getting 25-30 more would be good. 

I'd be surprised if Austin Martin goes. DaShawn Keirsey missed a lot of time and can play CF. 

Do they want more ABs for guys like Julien, Steer, or even a Michael Helman? Sabato's on the Instructs roster, but maybe he's a candidate. 

53 minutes ago, DJL44 said:

Is Winder going to be healthy? It would be nice to get one of the starting pitchers who didn't get many innings some time on the mound.

Definitely some guys like that I'd be looking at, including Winder if he's healthy. My wish list I posted elsewhere a few weeks ago was the following, and includes a few of those types: 

Pitchers:

Jordan Balazovic
Simeon Woods Richardson
Jhoan Duran
Matt Canterino
Chris Vallimont
Sawyer Gipson-Long

Hitters:

Austin Martin
Matt Wallner (confirmed)
Spencer Steer
Trey Cabbage
Mark Contreras
Aaron Sabato
Alerick Soularie
Edouard Julien

However, it is worth noting that usually teams only get a starting pitcher role for 1 guy, then bullpen spots for any others (even if they are a starter). A SP might end up with about 20+ innings total pitched, bullpen guys might get 10+.

14 hours ago, Steve Lein said:

Definitely some guys like that I'd be looking at, including Winder if he's healthy. My wish list I posted elsewhere a few weeks ago was the following, and includes a few of those types: 

Pitchers:

Jordan Balazovic
Simeon Woods Richardson
Jhoan Duran
Matt Canterino
Chris Vallimont
Sawyer Gipson-Long

Hitters:

Austin Martin
Matt Wallner (confirmed)
Spencer Steer
Trey Cabbage
Mark Contreras
Aaron Sabato
Alerick Soularie
Edouard Julien

However, it is worth noting that usually teams only get a starting pitcher role for 1 guy, then bullpen spots for any others (even if they are a starter). A SP might end up with about 20+ innings total pitched, bullpen guys might get 10+.

I like the list, although I feel that Blazovic should probably get some rest.  He looked like he was starting to run out of gas near the end of the season, but otherwise the rest all seem like legitimate candidates depending on their health.

16 hours ago, Steve Lein said:

Hitters:

Trey Cabbage

I think he's a minor league free agent. They also rarely send anyone who has been promoted to AAA. Relievers like Gore, Acosta, Manoah, Featherstone and Shreve are possible. 

5 hours ago, DJL44 said:

I think he's a minor league free agent. They also rarely send anyone who has been promoted to AAA. Relievers like Gore, Acosta, Manoah, Featherstone and Shreve are possible. 

He'll be FA eligible, but I don't think that's a factor for playing in the AFL, necessarily. I think he becomes a free agent in November (depending on the WS/playoffs) if I'm reading it correctly. Maybe it's an input to signing him again? Is a good question I don't have a for sure answer for.

But Triple-A players go there plenty. It used to be most of them were AA/AAA, but they altered the roster rules some a few years ago, allowing more players from lower levels to be sent (used to only get 1 from a single-A level, unless had a reason for a second to go because of an exemption).

In 2019, the Twins sent Royce Lewis (ended season at AA), Dakota Chalmers (A+), Ben Rortvedt (AA), Luke Raley (AAA), Moises Gomez (A+), Jovani Moran (AA), and Zach Neff (A+).

I think Gore, Acosta, Manoah, Featherstone, and Shreve are definite possibilities (and some good picks!), probably even more likely than most on my wishlist.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Seth Stohs said:

Twins heading to the Arizona Fall League: 

OF Matt Wallner, IF/OF Michael Helman, IF Andrew Bechtold

RHP Cody Laweryson, LHPs Zach Featherstone, Kody Funderburk, Evan Sisk. 

Wow, other than Wallner and Laweryson, that looks like a showcase for the Rule 5 draft.  Especially, those three bullpen arms that could be stashed on the bench/super-low leverage all season.

Interesting that Sisk is on there. Twins definitely want to see if they got something more than Gant in the Happ trade. All of these guys do have potential to play with the Twins, probably more on the fringe than starting. Wallner lost a season and a half. Bechtold is one of those potential versatile guys, Funderburk is a bullpen prospect to watch.

Bechtold and Helman are Rule 5 eligible.  Are any of the pitchers?

Could this be a break-out opportunity for Wallner?  Sure would be nice to separate himself from the other corner outfielders in the organization who have some pop, when they don't strike out.