Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Twins @ Blue Jays 09/182021 - 12:07 PM CST

Twins Face Old Friend, José Berríos

The Minnesota Twins are slated to face former ace-to-be José Berríos on Sunday who has a 3.31/3.47 ERA/FIP in his new threads with what would be a career best 5.50 K/BB if it were sustained over an entire season. Those numbers would be even better if you take out two starts where he allowed 10 earned runs with a K/BB of 9/7 over 7.1 innings pitched. For the first time in his career (I’m sensing a theme here), José Berríos is sustaining his first half success over the second half of the season. For the first time in his career (Ope, there it is again), José Berríos is consistently giving his team innings and production that he couldn’t do in his time with the Twins. For the first time in his career (ARGH), José Berríos has me thinking maybe he’s turned that corner that he could never turn as a member of the Minnesota Twins. And he’s doing all of it for a team that isn’t the Minnesota Twins.

Blue Jays Old Friend, Josh Donaldson, Slugging Them Into Submission

The Minnesota Twins 3B/DH is 3-for-8 with two bombs and 3 RBI so far in the series. In six games against his former club, where he won an MVP, two silver sluggers and a Hank Aaron Award, he has an OPS of 1.233 with five extra base-hits, seven runs scored, and eight runs batted in.

Conversation Starter

Who were your favorite old friends to follow even after they left the Minnesota Twins? I’ll share mine below!

Two of my favorite Twins of all-time were Denard Span and Pat Neshek. I loved the energy Denard brought to the team and will never forget watching him hit a huge game-thing triple against the White Sox in 2009. Man, the dome could get LOUD.

Neshek’s unique delivery initially stood out to me and it was great to see him develop into one of the better relievers in baseball. On top of that, he’s “one of us” and he’s a great guy in the baseball card hobby who will sign anything you send to him and is a collector himself.

I think you give way too much credit to Berrios. There were a lot 'ifs' in proclaiming him 'ace to be'. José is what he is ... a solid pitcher, but not an ace, not a No. 1. (Well, a no. 1 on a bad team, but over all a solid no. 2 pitcher on a good team.) I mean ... 'if not for his starts giving up 10 runs' ... lol

Hmmm ... favorite player who left ... once they leave they are dead to me.

Okay, not really.

I kept tabs a bit on Greg Gagne when he left. Morneau when he left - it nearly killed me when he signed with the White Sox, but that didn't last long. Hated to see his career go the way it did due to the concussions. I was hoping Pittsburgh would go further into the playoffs that year, and glad he found a little of himself again in Colorado. And Escobar and Rosario. Esco is just a treasure wherever he goes. And as much as I love Rosario, I really haven't followed too much about what he's doing. He is who he is and I loved him on the team and just don't want to think about him elsewhere. :) 

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

I think you give way too much credit to Berrios. There were a lot 'ifs' in proclaiming him 'ace to be'. José is what he is ... a solid pitcher, but not an ace, not a No. 1. (Well, a no. 1 on a bad team, but over all a solid no. 2 pitcher on a good team.) I mean ... 'if not for his starts giving up 10 runs' ... lol

Wow, you might be the first person to accuse me of giving Berríos too much credit 😂 I hope the other TD guys checkout the thread today! I’ve been a “Berríos is a low end #2 on a contending team” guy for years. Of course I bought into the hype early on but quickly jumped off that wagon.

I know you can’t totally discount 2 starts but the fact is that in the other seven starts he has 44.1 IP (avg 6.1) with a 1.83 ERA and an 18.33 K/BB. Aces aren’t perfect but if he can avoid anymore blow ups, which is career says he can’t, he might have the best August + September numbers in baseball.

Edited by Matthew Lenz

15 minutes ago, Sconnie said:

I followed Jeff Reardon after his Twins careers, even though he was a free agent acquisition in 1987.

of the homegrown talent, Torii Hunter

I irrationally held it against Hunter for leaving while the Twins still had years of contention left. Was happy when he came back at the end though.

Just now, Matthew Lenz said:

Wow, you might be the first person to accuse me of giving Berríos too much credit 😂 I hope the other TD guys checkout the thread today! I’ve been a “Berríos is a low end #2 on a contending” guy for years. Of course I bought into the hype early on but quickly jumped off that wagon.

I know you can’t totally discount 2 starts but the fact is that in the other seven starts he has 44.1 IP (avg 6.1) with a 1.83 ERA and an 18.33 K/BB. Aces aren’t perfect but if he can avoid anymore blow ups, which is career says he can’t, he might have the best August + September numbers in baseball.

He has more at stake and more to prove with the Jays. But he's always been the player who has always bet against himself.

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Hmmm ... favorite player who left ... once they leave they are dead to me.

Okay, not really.

I kept tabs a bit on Greg Gagne when he left. Morneau when he left - it nearly killed me when he signed with the White Sox, but that didn't last long. Hated to see his career go the way it did due to the concussions. I was hoping Pittsburgh would go further into the playoffs that year, and glad he found a little of himself again in Colorado. And Escobar and Rosario. Esco is just a treasure wherever he goes. And as much as I love Rosario, I really haven't followed too much about what he's doing. He is who he is and I loved him on the team and just don't want to think about him elsewhere. :) 

I feel this way about very few players but it happens from time to time. It really stung to see Johan traded. I'll be quite angry if Buxton is traded.

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I feel this way about very few players but it happens from time to time. It really stung to see Johan traded. I'll be quite angry if Buxton is traded.

Oh, you and me both. I hated the how and why that Santana was traded ... that was just bad. I'm hoping the FO sign Buxton. I mean ... that would be as bad as losing Santana. They are of the same calibre, imo.

I don't really follow players once they're gone. It's like that Ron White joke:

"I love dogs. That's not true. I love my dog. I don't give a s*** about your dog."

However, I was sad when Cuddy left. Seemed like such a good dude. I also remember crying when Rick Aguilera was traded. Twice

Just now, stringer bell said:

My favorite “old friend” was Michael Cuddyer. Still is my favorite all-time Twin. Cuddly and Moreau both won batting championships for the Rockies and Cuddyer got a chance to play in the World Series for the Mets. 

Great minds . . . 

I'll believe Berrios has turned a corner when he actually does.  I'm not rooting against him, but I've been down this road before.  If he does, good for him.  Just wish it would have been sooner and in a Twins uni.

I know stats are important and the people on this board are crazy good at understanding stats.  I am more the average fan who enjoys the players more than their stats.  Berrios is so intense and such a hard worker I think staying with the Twins probably wasn't in his best interest because he needs to be on a competitive team.  I love when Austidillo plays because he isn't bad and his love of the game is pure and you can see that on the field and it was one a few bright spots this season.  Buxton is pretty good with the potential to be amazing (I think this could be his last season as a Twin), Donaldson and Sano bring the hopes of HR's and it is exciting.  I wish we had Cruz as our DH, Rosario in CF, Polanco at 2nd and Escobar at SS.  That would be a fun team to watch on an everyday consistent basis.  I don't like all the mix and match and never knowing who is playing.  We will need to start bringing up the youngsters to fill in for those who have left or leave.   Kepler is like watching paint dry but I don't know what he does for the team overall except for the on stat I get and that is average.

Kind of got off on a rant, I miss Escobar, Rosario, Cruz an Berrios.  Missed Hunter horribly too.

Featured Video