Catchers: Jeffers, Garver
1B: Sano, Kirilloff
2B: Polanco, Arraez
3B: Donaldson
SS: FA Signing
LF: Larnach, Refsnyder
CF: Buxton, Gordon
RF: Kepler

I think they bring in 1 FA to play SS, but otherwise 12 of the 13 guys to open the season with the big club are already on the team. Obviously there will be some moving around of positions with guys like Arraez, Gordon, and Refsnyder.

C - Garver

1B - Kirilloff

2B - Polanco

SS - TBD FA (or trade)

3B - Donaldson

LF - Larnach

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler

DH - Sano

I think there's a strong possibility that Kepler gets dealt, but I included him here anyway.  I agree with John in that they don't bring back Cruz.  I'm not sure that I want them too.  Let Sano DH and Kiriloff man 1B.  I like Arraez's bat, but I don't know where to play him in the field.  I'm 100000000% against moving Polanco back to SS even if that creates a place for Arraez.  

C - Jeffers and Garver

1B - Kirilloff with Sano there part time

2B - Polanco 

SS - Corey Seager or Javy Baez

3B - Donaldson and Miranda

LF - Larnach

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler

4th OF - RH hitting free agent

Utility - Gordon

DH - Sano and Donaldson 

Assumptions - Twins go big in the SS FA market. Seager is my top priority. Garver is becoming more injury prone; perhaps he learns another position like 3B? They are retooling to win in 2022, so Arraez will be traded for pitching. I’ve been consistently saying for months that we need to choose one player for 2B. I also concur with @wsnydesthat Kepler is potentially traded for pitching. 

2 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

C - Jeffers and Garver

2B - Polanco 

LF - Larnach

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler

Utility - Gordon

DH - Sano and Donaldson 

Assumptions - Twins go big in the SS FA market. Seager is my top priority. Garver is becoming more injury prone; perhaps he learns another position like 3B? They are retooling to win in 2022, so Arraez will be traded for pitching. I’ve been consistently saying for months that we need to choose one player for 2B. I also concur with @wsnydesthat Kepler is potentially traded for pitching. 

I like the Cory Seager deal.  I like that a lot.  And as much as I like Arraez's bat, I'd have no issue dealing him.  Definitely agree they need to pick a player at 2B.  Polanco is the better all-around player.  The 40-man is becoming too jumbled with a bunch of players that all play similar positions and fitting the puzzle pieces together is becoming more difficult.  That needs to change, I think.

9 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

C - Jeffers and Garver

2B - Polanco 

LF - Larnach

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler

Utility - Gordon

DH - Sano and Donaldson 

I like your thinking, what in your opinion would be the back up old fielder plan? Celestino seems obvious, and maybe Rooker? So do they load up AAA with minor league vets? IMO they start somebody like a Garlick (right handed fairly cheap guy) for left field, and have Larnach as the back up plan waiting in the wings in AAA.

3 minutes ago, TwinsDr2021 said:

I like your thinking, what in your opinion would be the back up old fielder plan? Celestino seems obvious, and maybe Rooker? So do they load up AAA with minor league vets? IMO they start somebody like a Garlick (right handed fairly cheap guy) for left field, and have Larnach as the back up plan waiting in the wings in AAA.

I’d have Celestino waiting in AAA as Buxton insurance. To be honest I haven’t looked much at the FA OF market yet. Since I spent a huge amount signing Seager the 4th OF would have to be on the cheaper side. I don’t know if Garlick is the right guy. Hopefully someone a little better who is not just a platoon player against LH pitching. Then they can split time with Larnach in LF. 

Catcher - Garver-Rortvedt-Astudillo

1st Base Sano-Kirillofff

2nd Base Polanco

3re Base Donaldson-Astudillo

RF Kepler-Kirilloff

Cf Buxton-Garlick

Lf Garlick-Gordon

DH Cruz- Gordon

SP/BP Throw the Bones.

A couple of (I think) safe assumptions - Corey Seager will stay in LA or at least not come to MN, MN will not pay the 15-20m a year necessary to get one of the top FA SS, will lose Simmons, and will pick up an interim guy. With that:

C - Garver, Jeffers

1B - Sano

2B - Polanco

SS - Galvis or Iglesias

3B - Arraez/Donaldson

LF - Kirilloff

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler/Refsnyder platoon

DH - Donaldson/Arraez

I see this as the only way to get all of Arraez, Donaldson, Kirilloff and Sano in the lineup. Sano has hit .252/.333/.542 (.855) the last 30 games and I'd wager that's about what he's done the second half of the season as a whole. He's won a 2022 spot. He's got to play 1B and Kirilloff in LF to get Arraez in the lineup by splitting 3d base and DH with Donaldson.  Donaldson is only good for 70-90 games a year in the field so a split there and the DH makes sense. Kepler starts because we (unfortunately) don't have anyone better but he can only play against RH pitching. I'd love to see us get a RH OF FA - Rooker isn't the guy - to be the weak half of the RF platoon, DH against LH pitching with Arraez on the bench,  and DH when Donaldson and/or Arraez is on the shelf.   

Assumptions:

1. the Twins have $53M to spend
  2. Buxton is extended and not traded with a premium eating into that $53M
  3. Miranda is in AAA to delay his service clock, getting some OF reps
  4. Larnach is in AAA to rediscover his mojo

C          Garver

1B        Sano

2B        Polanco

3B        Donaldson

SS         Nick Ahmed (in trade from D’Backs)

LF         Kirilloff 

CF        Buxton

RF        Kepler

DH       Arraez

Bench: Jeffers, genuine MIF, Celestino, Rooker (because of Miranda decision)

Between Donaldson's health, Arraez' possibly improving defense, and a need to find him a long term home, Arraez is your new third baseman.

DH Donaldson

C Garver

1B Sano

2B Polanco

3B Arraez

SS ?? Free Agent/ Defensive stopgap until Martin or Lewis can be auditioned

LF Kiriloff

CF Buxton

RF Kepler

Bench: Jeffers, Larnach? Celestino? Miranda?

1B Sano / Killeroff

2B Polanco

SS Chris Taylor (a free agent signing that has Twins written all over it) / Lewis

3B Donaldson / Arraez/ Miranda

C Garver / Jefferies 

LF Larnarch / Killeroff / Arraez

CF Buxton / Gordon / Martin

RF Miranda / Rooker/ Arreaz

DH Rooker/ Donaldson / Miranda / Arreaz/ Sano

I can see the Twins trading Kepler.  Chris Taylor is the perfect SS for us to sign.  He can hit, has positional flexibility so he can move if we bring up Lewis for SS, likely a 4 year 60 - 68 million to sign. What is not to love about that signing?

.bringing Cruz back is 50/50 in my book. You can rotate players through DH with Sano and Donaldson getting a larger share of ABs.  But you still want a bat to put in there around 40-60% of the time.  We could put Rooker in for 350 ABs as a final trial or sign Cruz.

42 minutes ago, LA VIkes Fan said:

A couple of (I think) safe assumptions - Corey Seager will stay in LA or at least not come to MN, MN will not pay the 15-20m a year necessary to get one of the top FA SS, 

But they'll pay that amount for an aging 3B?

The "Pohlads are cheap" bit is getting old. They obviously don't spend anywhere near the top of the league, but they also don't spend anywhere near the bottom feeders either. Sure, I'd like them to do more, and sure I think they CAN do more, but this organization is VERY reactionary;  to combat the remembrance of a terrible, terrible 2021 season, I think it's almost certain they're going to go hard at a big time free agent even if it's for the wrong reasons.

Seager may very well not want to come to MN, but there are five elite SS available in free agency, they aren't all going to have the luxury of both getting paid AND being choosey about their destination.

But my guess:

C - Garver

1B - Sano

2B - Polanco

3B - Donaldson

SS - Trevor Story

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Kirilloff

DH - Cruz

Arraez will be moved along with some prospects for pitching.

33 minutes ago, Brandon said:

1B Sano / Killeroff

2B Polanco

SS Chris Taylor (a free agent signing that has Twins written all over it) / Lewis

3B Donaldson / Arraez/ Miranda

C Garver / Jefferies 

LF Larnarch / Killeroff / Arraez

CF Buxton / Gordon / Martin

RF Miranda / Rooker/ Arreaz

DH Rooker/ Donaldson / Miranda / Arreaz/ Sano

I can see the Twins trading Kepler.  Chris Taylor is the perfect SS for us to sign.  He can hit, has positional flexibility so he can move if we bring up Lewis for SS, likely a 4 year 60 - 68 million to sign. What is not to love about that signing?

.bringing Cruz back is 50/50 in my book. You can rotate players through DH with Sano and Donaldson getting a larger share of ABs.  But you still want a bat to put in there around 40-60% of the time.  We could put Rooker in for 350 ABs as a final trial or sign Cruz.

I like the call out for Chris Taylor too. Definitely a great fallback option if they aren’t able to attract the Seager/Baez/Story/Semien group. 

C Jeffers (Rortvedt, with Garver traded)

1B Kirilloff (Sano)

2B Polanco (Arraez, Gordon)

3B Donaldson (Arraez, Sano)

SS TBD (Trade, probably)

LF Celestino (Rooker)

CF Buxton (Celestino)

RF Larnach (Rooker, Kirilloff, with Kepler traded)

DH Sano (Rooker, Arraez, Donaldson)

I'd like to try to find a way to keep Astudillo if I can, because I think he brings some non-stat value to the team.

I would be happy never seeing Arraez play 3B again. He has a hard time making the throw and he should have more fielding errors as he has had a lot of balls hit off his glove. If they could package Kepler and Arraez for starting pitcher that would be a plus. 

C - Garver

1B - Kirilloff

2B - Polanco

SS - FA (Galvis, J. Iglesias)?

3B - Donaldson

LF - Larnach

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler

Bench/DH - Sano, Gordon, Miranda, Jeffers, Rooker/Refsnyder/Garlick/Cave(pick 1, 2 if Kepler is traded)

16 minutes ago, RonCoomersOPS said:

That's probably fine. We could just as easily give his roster spot to Cruz or keep Astudillo, then.

Astudillo and Cruz (if they signed him) would be in the way of getting the younger guys up. Cabbage, Miranda, Lewis, and Martin should all be up at some point next year. Kirilloff, Larnach and Buxton should all be healthy (hopefully) and need to play regularly. Astudillo could place hold, but Cruz would be a luxury, a nice luxury, but still a luxury.

20 minutes ago, mnfireman said:

Astudillo and Cruz (if they signed him) would be in the way of getting the younger guys up. Cabbage, Miranda, Lewis, and Martin should all be up at some point next year. Kirilloff, Larnach and Buxton should all be healthy (hopefully) and need to play regularly. Astudillo could place hold, but Cruz would be a luxury, a nice luxury, but still a luxury.

Yep, so they can impress like Rooker, Larnach, Celestino -- 90 loss season, what every one strives for.

IF, if they are ready for the Big League they will come up and stay, this is not extension of AAA practice and learning. --  (Some dudes with all the skills needed just never get the break or are on a team with excess quality players, that is not the Twins)

You know what? After reading a bunch of these replies and ideas I’m going to switch mine a bit. 

Assumptions: Donaldson is traded. They use that money to partially fund a more expensive shortstop. They still don't bring back Cruz. 

C - Jeffers (for Opening Day)

1B - Sano

2B - Polanco

SS - Top 5 FA SS

3B - Arraez

LF - Kirilloff

CF - Buxton

RF - Kepler

DH - Garver (for Opening Day, various overall) 

Twins Daily is really looking forward to next year as is expected with our disappointment this Summer. I was #11 on Aaron Gleeman's counter once upon a time and I can't remember such a desperate view towards the next season.

Assumptions: My expectation is that the Twins will or should complete a number of trades to pull in pitching and thin out redundant position players. Additionally, the free agent market holds promise and must be used.

DH) Donaldson

C) Garver

1B) Kirilloff

2B) Polanco

3B) Miranda

SS) FA - Baez or Story

LF) FA - S. Marte

CF) Buxton (open to trade of Buxton for C.J. Abrams which changes SS situation)

RF) Kepler

Like everyone else these are off the cuff. Was this supposed to use only current Twins? If not I'm trading anyone to increase talent on pitching staff and see Jeffers, Larnach, Sano, Arraez, and Duffey  as players to trade. The main issue is whether other teams will have an interest in our players.

In an active pursuit for pitching, Garver and Kepler are traded to teams looking for a solid MLB catcher and one that thinks Kepler can play center, and probably has a short porch in right. This happens only after the Twins relent and pay Byron Buxton.

C Jeffers

1b Sano

2b Refsnyder

SS Polanco

3b Arraez

LF Rooker

CF Buxton

RF Kirilloff

DH Donaldson

This suggests that I think the Twins are not optimistic about the overall health of Josh Donaldson, in opting to have him at DH over Rooker or Kirilloff. Also, and this is a really hot take, but Jake Cave will be back next year, mostly to spell the corner outfielders. His numbers will be significantly better, but will be roundly reviled by fans.

23 minutes ago, KirbyDome89 said:

I'd much rather keep Arraez over Gordon for a utility role. Trade from the corner OFer/1B/DH depth (excluding Kirilloff) for pitching. 

What kind of pitching can they get back for Larnach, Sano, Rooker, or… Sabato? 

C] Garver/Jeffers/Astudillo 

1B] Kirilloff/Sano

2B] Polanco/Gordon

SS] Galvis

3B] Donaldson/Miranda/Astudillo/Gordon

LF] Larnach/Kirilloff 

CF] Buxton/FA/Gordon

RR/ Kepler

DH] Everyone, but especially Arraez, Donaldson and Sano.

If you paid attention, you will see I cheated and selected 14 players. And that's not just a "someone might be hurt" cheat. I'm thinking one of Larnach or Miranda will start the year at St Paul. Larnach got promoted early, raked and teased, then needed a re-set and will, unfortunately, finish his year on the IL. But he is in so close! Miranda COULD debut as a super utility player. And I'm OK with that. There are very few rookies who just get handed a job from day one. And how is it a bad thing to actually have a quality roster where a rookie has to earn his spot?

Garver needs to split time between catcher and DH. His bat is too valuable to keep him out of the lineup. He might even play a little 1B.

Arraez needs to be in the lineup daily. Period! He can play 3 spots and DH. Unless you have an amazing bat to plug in to DH, who ever decided you needed ONE GUY to fill that spot? How about a really good and talented lineup where the DH is just a really good hitter having a half day off? And there is so much belief and hope that the 2022 lineup is that good.

Spend $ on pitching, a decent SS and a quality 4th RH OF. The player portion of the 2022 team should be fine with good health. But, I am still concerned with the coaches and their instruction. 

Catch: Jeffers
1B: Kirilloff
2B: Polanco
3B: Donaldson
SS: FA Signing (Guess: Freddy Galvis)
LF: Larnach,
CF:  Celestino
RF: Kepler

DH: Rotation 

DH/Bench: Sano, Arraez, Refsnyder, Garver

assumption: Buxton traded for Pitching

Donaldson DHs close to half time

The lineups should probably include the starting pitchers (5 or 6) and a couple of relief pitchers too. I say this because if the Twins are to field a team hopeful of winning half of their games they will need some pitching. The idea that they can trot out their prospects to fill the starting pitching roles and use whatever lineup with one or even two additions to the lineup to make things good will likely result in 100+ losses.

So ... I'm hoping that Ober and Ryan are good for two spots but I'm adding through trades, although I'm open to good free agent additions. Miami needs C and OF: Larnach, Jeffers, Duffey, and Rooker for Alcantara and Meyer and we can add a couple of lower prospects if needed or just get SA. The Rockies need someone on base and youthful pitching: Arraez, Duran, Cavaco, and Cave for Marquez and we can add more. Milwaukee needs 1B, 3B, and DH: Sano for Lauer. Sign an Alex Wood or so and we have Marquez, Alcantara, Ryan, Lauer, Ober, and Wood, Just do something to bring in somebody that can pitch. I remain excited by the prospects: Winder, Balazovic, SWR, Sands, and Varland but they need space and time.

2 hours ago, Rhino and Compass said:

Also, and this is a really hot take, but Jake Cave will be back next year, mostly to spell the corner outfielders. His numbers will be significantly better, but will be roundly reviled by fans.

Completely agree. I love Caves hustle, but he’s just not as skilled. But. As we know, the Twins would probably replace him with someone of the same skill level, and I think he’s good for the clubhouse. From what I’ve seen, teammates like him and he’s always in a good mood. Plus, can’t argue with the beard!

We've had 30 years of experience. According to Cots, this years payroll was the second highest ever at 125m. Attendance was down. We aren't making a big splash in free agency (and if were, I'd hope it was on pitching). The offense will probably be pretty similar to this year.

C - Garver/Jeffers
1B - Kiriloff
2B - Arraez
SS - Polanco
3B - Donaldson
LF - Larnich
CF - Martin/Celestino
RF - Kepler
DH - Sano

Assumptions - Buxton's traded for a Berrios type return. I think the Twins would try to move Donaldson but won't be able to but probably will by the deadline and Arraez is a good replacement there for him. I could also see the Twins spending a small amount to bring in a defense-first short stop again.