• Create Account

Game Thread Twins at Yankees 1:10pm cdt 9/13/2021 ad

Just now, Brock Beauchamp said:

Injuries always suck but let's be honest here... how much do we care about John Gant?

I know I'm exceedingly down on the guy but even if looked at objectively, this doesn't impact much for 2022.

While I agree, an injury to Gant increases the likelihood that we get even more Andrew Albers or Charlie Barnes.  Impact for 2022 or not, I don't want to see any more of those guys.

Just now, Brock Beauchamp said:

If he plays well, I think an extension actually becomes more likely, as the Twins become less gun shy about paying the man.

And public pressure to do so increases as well.  I think you're probably onto something there.

5 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

If he plays well, I think an extension actually becomes more likely, as the Twins become less gun shy about paying the man.

Even if he plays poorly, if he plays, my reservations about signing him become less. There is no denying his talent, so if he can just play 120 games a year, he's going to accumulate 3-4 WAR seasons. 

4 minutes ago, dex8425 said:

Even if he plays poorly, if he plays, my reservations about signing him become less. There is no denying his talent, so if he can just play 120 games a year, he's going to accumulate 3-4 WAR seasons. 

It will all come down to the base salary and the incentives. I believe they should include both games played and performance incentives. With a max of 40mil a year. If he checks all the boxes and gets 40 mil thats cool he deserves it. 

2 minutes ago, 21bdp21 said:

It will all come down to the base salary and the incentives. I believe they should include both games played and performance incentives. With a max of 40mil a year. If he checks all the boxes and gets 40 mil thats cool he deserves it. 

I wish we knew all the terms of the prior offers that were going back and forth earlier this summer. The Twins made it seem like these terms were included in their offers and the offers seemed generous but we never heard Buck's side of the story, so we really have no idea. Agreed; if he wins MVP, pay him 40 million a year. 

5 minutes ago, dex8425 said:

So long as Buxton remains an elite center fielder, and plays 120 games a year, yes, he is guaranteed to post 3-4 WAR.  That only works if the Twins pay him $15M or so for that performance, with a mechanism to up that pay to $20M-$25M should he put up 5-7 WAR.

Just now, dex8425 said:

I wish we knew all the terms of the prior offers that were going back and forth earlier this summer. The Twins made it seem like these terms were included in their offers and the offers seemed generous but we never heard Buck's side of the story, so we really have no idea. Agreed; if he wins MVP, pay him 40 million a year. 

Agreed, from what I heard it seamed that the incentives where the sticking point.
I do not mind if the base salary is 7 mil a year. However, have some quick incesntives to get to the 15-20 a year range. 

Just now, 21bdp21 said:

Agreed, from what I heard it seamed that the incentives where the sticking point.
I do not mind if the base salary is 7 mil a year. However, have some quick incesntives to get to the 15-20 a year range. 

I'm pretty sure the last offer was a 7/$80M base, which is a little over $11M a year.  I don't think a $7M base gets it done, nor should it.

1 minute ago, Cap'n Piranha said:

I'm pretty sure the last offer was a 7/$80M base, which is a little over $11M a year.  I don't think a $7M base gets it done, nor should it.

I defiently misremembered the math on that deal I was trying to use that number. I guess I just had the 7 in my head. 

Featured Video