Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Park: Randy Dobnak back to IL, Andrew Albers to start tonight

Well, damn it all. I was hoping to see a handful of Dobnak starts to close the season to get a better picture of where the 2022 Twins rotation might stand on Opening Day. This puts quite a wrinkle in the Twins' offseason plans, as a healthy, decent Dobnak makes some 40-man roster decisions a little easier to make. The Twins probably don't care if they lose all of Smeltzer, Thorpe, and Albers after the season if Dobnak is either in the rotation or ready as a swingman out of St Paul.

Yet another bummer injury in a season full of bummer injuries.

11 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Well, damn it all. I was hoping to see a handful of Dobnak starts to close the season to get a better picture of where the 2022 Twins rotation might stand on Opening Day. 

I think Dobber starts the 2022 season in the rotation almost no matter what. Ideally he is SP5 and if he struggles, can be moved to the pen while someone from AAA comes up. Between the money committed to him last offseason and the number of gaps in the rotation to fill, Dobber will be in there, at least at the start.

Remotely related question. Are some/most/all contracts -- like Dobber's with the Twins -- insured by the Twins? Partially insured? If so, if a contract isn't working out too well (possibly like Dobber's) do the Twins get some relief (no pun intended) if there's an injury?

31 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Remotely related question. Are some/most/all contracts -- like Dobber's with the Twins -- insured by the Twins? Partially insured? If so, if a contract isn't working out too well (possibly like Dobber's) do the Twins get some relief (no pun intended) if there's an injury?

Insurance, if you have it on a contract, is usually if it prevents a player from performing all season, in most cases, or is career ending. I am not sure what MLB workman's comp is like, or who pays. 

What a bummer!  I was looking forward to seeing him again tonight and now it's Albers. Gaaaah! Definitely a DVR night with the thumb on fast forward. 

Anyway was wondering if that new slider he developed in spring training may have caused this finger strain. 

8 hours ago, bean5302 said:

Dobnak is certainly sketchy from an expected reliabilty level at this point. Rough couple seasons from him.

I don't even know if I can call it a rough couple of seasons. Despite having three of four bad starts to close 2020, he finished the season with a 4.05 ERA. And before those three of four bad starts, he had six excellent starts.

I was really hoping we'd get a better look at a healthy Dobnak to close the season so we could perhaps figure out whether he's closer to those first six starts or those final four starts.