Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Call me Captain Obvious

denarded

This is absurd going in to next season with Dobnak, Gant, Albers, Ober, and Barnes as part of your 2022 starting staff. No thank you. I appreciate your effort, but I would like to win. Our offense is going to be depleted next year. Our pitching needs to step it up. That list of dudes is not inspiring.. FO do something.

Just because we are trying out all these arms this month doesn't mean that they will be going into next season with them as starters. I'd say Ober and Dobnak have a good shot, but I'd give almost 0 chance the others you mentioned. Hope I'm right about that. There is work to be done in the off season, no doubt about that.

2 hours ago, denarded said:

This is absurd going in to next season with Dobnak, Gant, Albers, Ober, and Barnes as part of your 2022 starting staff. No thank you. I appreciate your effort, but I would like to win. Our offense is going to be depleted next year. Our pitching needs to step it up. That list of dudes is not inspiring.. FO do something.

That is a next season problem that can not be fixed at this moment. That is what an off season is for. The absurdity is b+t+c+i+g about it now

10 hours ago, denarded said:

I'd be shocked if Gant, Albers, or Barnes are anywhere near a Minnesota rotation to open the 2022 season.

And there are literally zero meaningful things the front office can do right now.

PS. You missed Joe Ryan on your list, who may be the most promising arm in the rotation right now... It's either Ryan or Ober.

1 hour ago, Boom Boom said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but since Ryan was a September call up, his service clock hasn't started yet, right? 

Will the Twins keep him at AAA until June?

Nope - as mentioned service time doesn’t work like that any longer, and unless he really tanks this year / in training camp there is probably not a reason to keep him in AAA. The time for his shot is now / next year.

12 hours ago, Rosterman said:

Ober, Ryan, Dobnak. Maybe Strotman and Jax. Barnes still in the wings. Maybe see Duran and Balazovic next year, although we said that this yeat. THE RETURN OF MIKE PINEDA!

Season tickets for 2022 are NOW ON SAlE! Get them before they get HOT!

The Twins auto renewed my season ticket package so I am good to go. 

Albers is the 'break the glass in case of emergency' guy this year, but he won't be that guy next year.  I expect he will retire.  I'm glad he got to play this year, he deserves it.

I think we are looking at 3 of Ober, Jax, Ryan, or Dobnak, plus 2 others who will be new to the team.  Don't expect miracle-workers with the other 2.  It's possible they sign 3 instead of 2, but if that happens expect even fewer miracles.

This doesn't look great, but remember they have to completely rebuild the bullpen too, not to mention they only have half a team on the positional side right now.  If they strike gold in the bullpen, which they have done 2 out of 3 years, the mediocre starting won't be so painful.  However, the Twins need to build a bullpen of more than just 1-year rentals.  They learned this year the risk of that approach.

16 hours ago, denarded said:

There is not s snowball's chance in hell Gant, Albers or Barnes is in the rotation next year.  Ober is already proven himself, so he is one.  Jax has shown moments, we'll see. Ryan appears to be the real deal too.  Gant is a good bullpen piece, I feel like that has proven out after a few starts.  The FO will spend some money on Free agents.  Dobnak will probably have one last chance next season to prove himself.  Other than Ryan, we haven't even discussed the other top pitching prospects.   I am far more optimistic than you are.   Ohh, and with Kriloff, Larnach, Buxton(stay healthy please),the other top prosepects and returning players, the offense will not be depleted., in any way.   I expect guys like Jeffers will continue to improve.  Since Sano's terrible start, he has actually been pretty decent.  I would have never expectedhim to get the avg up to .220. He is hitting over .250 since the start of June. The offense has been decent even after the trade, despite all the injuries.   In my opinion, we are in better shape going into next season than many believe.

Larnach, has shown so far, he is closer to AA than AAA, Kirilloff is an unknow and could just as easly regress to Rooker and Larnack level.

The Pohlads do not want to field what is equivalent to a AAA team which is what bringing all these rookies who are mostly struggling at minor league level would make the Twins.

So many here speak of all the rookies as if they were a magic potion to make the Twins as good as they were two years ago.

Bring in veterans, yes, unknowns and crossing your fingers will probably make this year look good; the Twins are not some other teams with rookies who perform above what is expected -- of course there is Kepler from two years ago and gee-whiz maybe Larnach or some other rookie will be one year wonder.🥳

16 hours ago, RpR said:

Larnach, has shown so far, he is closer to AA than AAA, Kirilloff is an unknow and could just as easly regress to Rooker and Larnack level.

Larnach did not play at AAA until this year, so sure.

Kirilloff does not have enough of a sample size to "regress."

Rooker still has potential.  I have never expected big things from him, but others have, and I have no reason to dispute that.

Are you suggesting the Twins should sign rentals to block these guys and never give them a chance?

As for the Pohlads and them fielding an AAA team, how many of those guys were starters on opening day?  It's no secret that the Twins were exposed as having no depth very early in the season.

The harsh reality is there is no way the Twins can afford to build a full pitching staff, both relievers and starters, and replace half the position players this offseason.  Leaning on the rookies is essential.  That ridiculous strategy that Terry Ryan ran with every year is actually the right strategy this year.

If the plan is to try and retool this offseason, then money will be spent to fix pitching. There’s $55-60 million available if they plan to match this year’s payroll number. Like always, I don’t expect us to reel in a top FA pitcher. That will most likely have to come through a trade. 

However, there are several intriguing options to fill out the #2-4 spots in the rotation through free agency. I’ve been a fan of Alex Wood for a while and he would be high on my list. Jon Gray is an option with a higher ceiling. Hell, even Dylan Bundy is worth a dart throw. 

Regardless of whether people think this is a 90 win team or a 90 loss team, we still need more depth, and raise the floor of competent innings pitched. Relying on nothing but prospects is a recipe for disaster. 

I look for Twins to try to sign top of rotation type starting pitcher and either bring Pineda back or sign similar SP. Maybe a trade for SP, possible rotation- FA/trade, Ober, Pineda/FA, Ryan, Dobnak. With Jax and Barnes as potential #7 and 8 starters at AAA, Winder getting first call after season starts if doing well at AAA. AAA rotation to start season could be Winder, Balazovic, Sands, Jax, Strotman, or Barnes, I think Duran goes to relief for at least a year to get healthy. 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:14 AM, Brock Beauchamp said:

I'd be shocked if Gant, Albers, or Barnes are anywhere near a Minnesota rotation to open the 2022 season.

And there are literally zero meaningful things the front office can do right now.

PS. You missed Joe Ryan on your list, who may be the most promising arm in the rotation right now... It's either Ryan or Ober.

This.

Keep in mind they acquired Gant for the bullpen and pressed him into service as a starter because he was already stretched out and between trades/injuries/ineffectiveness the cupboard was bare in what was already a lost season. Albers will not be a Twin next season. What he does or does not do in playing out the string this year is meaningless for next. Barnes is AAA filler but is getting a shot the same way Gant is, because why not? Even if he stays with the team, he'll be behind Duran, Balazovic, Strotman, Woods-richardson, and Winder (not to mention Ober, Ryan, likely Pineda, Dobnak, and 1-2 FA/trade acquisitions) at best.

Frankly, I'm doubtful Dobnak is in the rotation to start the season. I think they re-sign Pineda to bridge the gap on some of the younger guys who might not be ready out the gate, sign a quality starter in the $15+M range, and trade for another guy. But no matter what: Ober is the only guy to write in ink for the rotation at the point, with Ryan in pencil, and Pineda using dry-erase.

My guess for opening day

1) outside org via free agent (4-5 years)

2) Ober

3) Pineda (re-signed similar 2 year incentive-laden deal)

4) Ryan

5) outside the org (washed up free agent)

reserves

Dobnak, Jax, Duran, Thorpe 

not exactly exciting, but hopefully better than 2021!

Gant might have a shot. Tonight's line sums up his career in a nutshell: few hits but many walks per inning pitched.: 5 IP, 3H, 4BB, 7K.

His career ERA is 3.8 in 365 innings. He has allowed only 306 hits, so opponent BA is .228, with 33 homers, so, not bad.

The bad news is walks, 195 of them(compared to 321 K).

Still, he looks like a nice end of the rotation/bullpen guy. I've never actually watched him pitch, but he must have some good movement on his pitches or something to keep hitters off their game.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:38 PM, denarded said:

That rotation would be a good prescription for losing   100 games. Zero chance, I hope!!!

51 minutes ago, Monkeypaws said:

Gant might have a shot. Tonight's line sums up his career in a nutshell: few hits but many walks per inning pitched.: 5 IP, 3H, 4BB, 7K.

His career ERA is 3.8 in 365 innings. He has allowed only 306 hits, so opponent BA is .228, with 33 homers, so, not bad.

The bad news is walks, 195 of them(compared to 321 K).

Still, he looks like a nice end of the rotation/bullpen guy. I've never actually watched him pitch, but he must have some good movement on his pitches or something to keep hitters off their game.

Roy Smalley said tonight that he had no doubt that Gant’s stuff is major league stuff.

4 hours ago, Sconnie said:

My guess for opening day

1) outside org via free agent (4-5 years)

2) Ober

3) Pineda (re-signed similar 2 year incentive-laden deal)

4) Ryan

5) outside the org (washed up free agent)

reserves

Dobnak, Jax, Duran, Thorpe 

not exactly exciting, but hopefully better than 2021!

We can surely do better than Thorpe, Jax, Dobnak and maybe Duran (the mystery man!). What if #1 above was Robby Ray and #5 was Danny Duffy. #1 could also be Noah Syndergaard. The offense needs help too. Cave should go. Michael Brantley or Mark Contreras could be good depth in the OF, a factor that the FO inexplicably did not address on 2020-2021 offseason.

2 minutes ago, Greglw3 said:

We can surely do better than Thorpe, Jax, Dobnak and maybe Duran (the mystery man!). What if #1 above was Robby Ray and #5 was Danny Duffy. #1 could also be Noah Syndergaard. The offense needs help too. Cave should go. Michael Brantley or Mark Contreras could be good depth in the OF, a factor that the FO inexplicably did not address on 2020-2021 offseason.

Ray, Duffy, Syndergaard, Brantley and/or Contreras would rival the Dodgers offseason in terms of $$$ spent.

9 minutes ago, a-wan said:

Ray, Duffy, Syndergaard, Brantley and/or Contreras would rival the Dodgers offseason in terms of $$$ spent.

Agreed, doubt they spend that kind of dough. I bet they spend less than 100m in total for two pitchers (a 4-5 year deal plus a 1 year). That might buy you Bauer or Strohman plus Happ.

If a fielder is signed, it’ll be shortstop for less than 10m

Color me mildly disappointed, but i note that no one on this thread has addressed @denardedas Captain Obvious.

Let me here now confer the rank of Acting Captain of Obvious Company to denarded, henceforth to be addressed as Captain or Sir by anyone who is not unusually devious*.

Now, carry on with speculating about the juicy tidbits which may go into next season's** rotation!

* or perhaps a moderator. I'm not up on TD ranks and privileges pertaining thereto.

** seasons' rotation if you're feeling your prognostication oats.

4 hours ago, a-wan said:

Only 2 of 3 of Ray, Duffy, Syndergaard.

So, how much would Ray, Duffy, Brantley cost? It would be money well spent!

Contreras is at St. Paul so would be making major league minimum. They could trade Donaldson’s salary and maybe Arraez together for more pitching and use Miranda at 3B to help afford the 3 players. Gordon, Polanco, Drew Maggi could cover SS, 2B, Utility. Put the payroll at $155 million.

Maggi:

1786315633_ScreenShot2021-09-08at2_59_17AM.png.4cf1378c1e6e9317fb54e425121441de.png

21 minutes ago, ToddlerHarmon said:

I get that the Twins' only glut of assets to trade from is non-SS infielders, but you do realize that you just sent away about half the lineup's above-replacement production?

And, not to mention, made the infield defense worse. I mean ... Drew Maggi? Of the 3 the poster mentioned who could cover SS and 2B ... uhhhhhh ... I'd be upset if we spent that kind of money on pitching and then put that behind them. I mean, yeah, we need good pitching, but we also need to field a decent team.

7 hours ago, Greglw3 said:

Contreras is at St. Paul so would be making major league minimum. They could trade Donaldson’s salary and maybe Arraez together for more pitching and use Miranda at 3B to help afford the 3 players. Gordon, Polanco, Drew Maggi could cover SS, 2B, Utility. Put the payroll at $155 million.

Polanco is not playing SS next season except as an occasional backup. That's pretty clear, and if it keeps him healthy and performing like he is right now it's 100% the right decision. Gordon is not an option at SS next season, or he'd be playing SS right now. And everyone is going to scream bloody murder if Drew effin' Maggi is handed the starting SS job. (You think the tired "Pohlads are cheap!" refrain is loud now? You could pump the payroll up to $180M and people would scream that if Maggi is the starting SS)

Any analysis that includes Polanco getting slotted in at SS next season needs to just stop. It's not going to happen.