Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Score: Rays 11, Twins 4


Jorge Polanco and Miguel Sanó stayed hot, but the Tampa Bay Rays beat up the Twins' pitching staff to earn the win in dominant fashion.

Box Score
Andrew Albers:
3 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 9 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Home Runs: Miguel Sanó (24), Jorge Polanco (26)
Bottom 3 WPA: Andrew Albers -.385, Luis Arraez -.046, Ryan Jeffers -.031

Win Probability Chart (via FanGraphs)

chart.png.aa30a2abfcd4205f52657125bc5743a9.png

The first inning didn’t exactly go well for Andrew Albers. The second inning was worse. The third inning was bad, too.

The Rays jumped all over the Twins’ starter early, roughing him up for two runs on four hits, including a leadoff triple by rookie standout Randy Arozarena, in the opening frame. In the second, Arozarena (single), Wander Franco (double), Yandy Diaz (home run), and Jordan Luplow (home run) battered him up even more. Manuel Margot (home run) decided he had to get in on the fun in the third and Arozarena liked what he saw, so he added a dinger as well. Oh, and amid all the chaos, Albers was called for two balks, one that was ultimately rescinded while the other scored Tampa Bay a run. (Editor's Note - neither one was actually a balk.)

It was that kind of game for the Twins who were thoroughly throttled by the Rays Saturday afternoon in Tampa. 

On the bright side, Jorge Polanco stayed hot, picking up hits — a single, his 29th double, and his 26th home run of the season — in his first three at-bats and Miguel Sanó hit a laser beam home run to center in the fourth. So, that was nice! (But because we can't have nice things, Sanó later exited the game following a collision with Rays’ catcher Mike Zunino. He was ruled day-to-day with a left shoulder contusion.)

However, that’s about all that went well for Minnesota. All in all, it was a stinker of a game in which very little was learned, at least on the positive end of the spectrum. It’s probably for the best if we just agree to collectively pretend as though this one never happened.

The Twins and Rays are back in action on Sunday when Griffin Jax (3-3, 6.71 ERA) faces off against Luis Patino (4-3, 4.24 ERA). First pitch is slated for 12:10 p.m. CST.

Postgame Interviews

Coming soon
 

Bullpen Usage Spreadsheet

  MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT TOT
Gibaut 0 0 24 0 0 47 71
Minaya 0 24 11 0 0 21 56
Garza Jr. 0 17 0 0 8 23 48
Colomé 23 0 0 0 0 11 34
Thielbar 0 26 0 0 0 0 26
Alcalá 25 0 0 0 0 0 25
Duffey 0 16 0 0 0 0 16
Coulombe 0 0 10 0 0 0 10

 

MORE FROM TWINS DAILY

— Latest Twins coverage from our writers

— Recent Twins discussion in our forums

— Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email

 


View full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

With all due respect, the Rays didn't beat up the Twins pitching staff, they beat up Albers.  And why he was left in as long as he was to take said beating is not only confusing, it is distasteful.  I could write a short story right now on Baldelli and some of the things he does with the pitching and the lineups, but I don't think I want the carpel tunnel that would go with it, so I will pass and leave it to cooler heads than mine right now.  Looking forward to reading you all instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mark G said:

And why he was left in as long as he was to take said beating is not only confusing, it is distasteful.

I understand this frustration, but I think eating meaningless innings is the only reason why Albers is with a big league club at this point. I doubt he's upset about it.

But I get it. We were division contenders not long ago, and within a year we've become a terrible team again, letting other teams just run up the score on us. I had hoped there was some fight in this team left, but that faded away again after just a few nice weeks. 

Gonna be a tough final month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Albers proved once again why you do not take on reclaimation projects. For as good as he was last outing he was just as terrible this time out. As for taking one for the team, if that was Baldelli's intentions he should be fired immediately. They had an off day on Thursday and he only used Garza out of the pen on Friday with only 8 pitches thrown. His entire bullpen including Garza should have been available to use. What is the point of using worthless pitchers that have no future with this club? Where are the other up and coming prospect pitchers we need to be taking a look at besides Joe Ryan? I get it that this season is over, but we should be evaluating all of the close prospect pitchers in the organization now, not using has-beens and washed up players that won't be a part of the future of this team. I don't understand this organization and their unwillingness to move on and away from worthless players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, rv78 said:

Albers proved once again why you do not take on reclaimation projects. For as good as he was last outing he was just as terrible this time out. As for taking one for the team, if that was Baldelli's intentions he should be fired immediately. They had an off day on Thursday and he only used Garza out of the pen on Friday with only 8 pitches thrown. His entire bullpen including Garza should have been available to use. What is the point of using worthless pitchers that have no future with this club? Where are the other up and coming prospect pitchers we need to be taking a look at besides Joe Ryan? I get it that this season is over, but we should be evaluating all of the close prospect pitchers in the organization now, not using has-beens and washed up players that won't be a part of the future of this team. I don't understand this organization and their unwillingness to move on and away from worthless players.

That is what spring training is for, not bringing in some rookie to get his butt handed to him now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.dab33fedc9552f363286792e45e5023b.png

Pinch hitting Gordon for Buxton in a high leverage situation.  Cool, cool. 

Would any of us ever do this, even when Buxton's bat has been cold?  If you were going to leave Albers in to put the game out of reach of the offense, why would you pinch hit later?  Why would you pull your best defender in a game like this one?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dodecahedron said:

image.png.dab33fedc9552f363286792e45e5023b.png

Pinch hitting Gordon for Buxton in a high leverage situation.  Cool, cool. 

Would any of us ever do this, even when Buxton's bat has been cold?  If you were going to leave Albers in to tank the game, why would you pinch hit later?  Why would you give up your best defender in a game that you just want to be over with?

 

Because the game at that point was already 11-4 and you want Buxton to finish the year healthy under all circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dodecahedron said:

image.png.dab33fedc9552f363286792e45e5023b.png

Pinch hitting Gordon for Buxton in a high leverage situation.  Cool, cool. 

Would any of us ever do this, even when Buxton's bat has been cold? 

 

If we are giving Mr. Buxton a break late in a game which is already decided, and want to see how Mr. Gordon handles a pinch hit opportunity, perhaps it makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Dodecahedron said:

image.png.dab33fedc9552f363286792e45e5023b.png

Pinch hitting Gordon for Buxton in a high leverage situation.  Cool, cool. 

Would any of us ever do this, even when Buxton's bat has been cold?  If you were going to leave Albers in to put the game out of reach of the offense, why would you pinch hit later?  Why would you pull your best defender in a game like this one?

 

High leverage?? Were there six guys on base when Gordon batted? Even if there had been a ‘high leverage’ point in this game (there wasn’t)…it still wouldn’t have been actual high leverage because the games absolutely don’t matter at this point.

And then there’s this….why WOULD you keep your best defensive player in a game like this?

I’ve got some issues with Rocco, but not at all for something like this under these circumstances. Not even close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know we're less than a month away from the end of this horrendous season, but after today's putrid performance by Albers, what is the downside of giving Strotman a couple of starts this season?  I know Strotman hasn't been very effective at Saint Paul, but at least, imo, he's got the potential to help this pitching staff moving forward.  Albers--clearly doesn't offer that option.  

PS:  Can the front office finally cut bait with Beau Burrows after another in a long string of awful outings? 6.20 ERA on the season after serving up 3 more jacks in his start today.  Yes, I know AAA teams across the league need SPs to fill out their rotations, but enough is enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

Game thread intro! Please?

 

And if you space the writing out over several days until the next free game, maybe you can fend off carpel tunnel...

Love ya Sample, but........what am I missing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, darwin22 said:

I know we're less than a month away from the end of this horrendous season, but after today's putrid performance by Albers, what is the downside of giving Strotman a couple of starts this season?  I know Strotman hasn't been very effective at Saint Paul, but at least, imo, he's got the potential to help this pitching staff moving forward.  Albers--clearly doesn't offer that option.  

PS:  Can the front office finally cut bait with Beau Burrows after another in a long string of awful outings? 6.20 ERA on the season after serving up 3 more jacks in his start today.  Yes, I know AAA teams across the league need SPs to fill out their rotations, but enough is enough.  

Strotman has been really bad at AAA... I mean, we're talking a ERA of over 7.00. I think the only way he gets up is if they try him in the bullpen. 

Burrows isn't on the 40 man and is just a placeholder at this time, and they could opt to release him once the year is over. Seeing how much AAAA filler is on the MLB team, I don't see a problem with giving him starts at AAA. He's not blocking anyone, he could be moved to the pen or released in an instant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bean5302 said:

Unless Albers was pitching hurt, it's his job to stop the bleeding and he was pulled after only 3.0 innings. That's a very short start. It's clear Albers didn't have his head in the game, but as a 37 year old pitcher signed to a MiLB contract, that's one thing you can't skip over.

He's 35 ... not a huge difference, really ... he turns 36 in October.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Love ya Sample, but........what am I missing?

A chance to introduce a thread about a game, and subsequent discussion as that game plays out?

 

Like this: https://twinsdaily.com/forums/topic/53213-game-thread-twins-v-rays-94-305pm-ct/

 

Which is along way of saying you're not really missing anything.

But we connoisseurs of said game threads are missing out on your creativity, that's all. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

A chance to introduce a thread about a game, and subsequent discussion as that game plays out?

 

Like this: https://twinsdaily.com/forums/topic/53213-game-thread-twins-v-rays-94-305pm-ct/

 

Which is along way of saying you're not really missing anything.

But we connoisseurs of said game threads are missing out on your creativity, that's all. 

 

I am kind of a rookie here; let me check this out.  Love the thought.  :)

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dodecahedron said:

image.png.dab33fedc9552f363286792e45e5023b.png

Pinch hitting Gordon for Buxton in a high leverage situation.  Cool, cool. 

Would any of us ever do this, even when Buxton's bat has been cold?  If you were going to leave Albers in to put the game out of reach of the offense, why would you pinch hit later?  Why would you pull your best defender in a game like this one?

 

It looks like Gordon entered the game as third baseman (a whole ‘nuther conversation) and then came to bat in Buxton’s spot. It looks like Cave entered as center fielder at the same time Gordon entered. 

If Gordon had actually pinch hit for Buxton and then went out to play third base, the notation would read:

PH-3B

 

/post edited a thousand times for clarity (I hope)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hosken Bombo Disco said:

It looks like Gordon entered the game as third baseman (a whole ‘nuther conversation).

If he had pinch hit for Buxton and then went out to play third base, the notation would read:

PH-3B

Right ... both Gordon and Cave came into the game in the bottom of the 8th, neither pinch hit for anyone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been supportive of Baldelli until the past 2-3 months.  Way too many times he has left his starting pitcher in way too long.  Yesterday game was on national tv.  He embarrassed us all.  Don't you owe it to the rest of your players to at least try to win?  Albers is getting hammered and yet our so called manager leaves him in there.  Absolutely disgraceful. Count me in with the fire Baldelli Group. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bean5302 said:

For once, it's not my inability to read stats on Baseball Reference that betrayed me here. It was my complete disinterest in even looking them up, haha.

I think in this instance it was close enough ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Danchat said:

Strotman has been really bad at AAA... I mean, we're talking a ERA of over 7.00. I think the only way he gets up is if they try him in the bullpen. 

Burrows isn't on the 40 man and is just a placeholder at this time, and they could opt to release him once the year is over. Seeing how much AAAA filler is on the MLB team, I don't see a problem with giving him starts at AAA. He's not blocking anyone, he could be moved to the pen or released in an instant.

I can't disagree that Strotman has been bad at AAA (7.39 ERA with Saint Paul), but he is 10 years younger than Albers.  To me, that's enough of a reason to give him a start or two.  If not Strotman, bring Barnes back.  Zero reason to have Albers start another game.  As for Burrows, I guess we can agree to disagree.  Although Burrows is a rotation filler at best, he's been absolutely brutal all season. He should've been released weeks ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how many people watched the game, but honestly, it was the balk by Albers which really tore the game open. Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, Cruz at the plate and Albers balks a run in. Then Baldelli calls for the intentional walk to Cruz and Albers hangs a curveball which Diaz puts in the seats. The balk call was... pretty BS, but Albers needed to be on his game after being called for the balk in the first.

If the balk isn't called and Albers gets Cruz, he's out of the 2nd with no runs.

Condensed Game.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/twins-vs-rays/2021/09/04/632600#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=632600

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

I'm not sure how many people watched the game, but honestly, it was the balk by Albers which really tore the game open. Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, Cruz at the plate and Albers balks a run in. Then Baldelli calls for the intentional walk to Cruz and Albers hangs a curveball which Diaz puts in the seats. The balk call was... pretty BS, but Albers needed to be on his game after being called for the balk in the first.

If the balk isn't called and Albers gets Cruz, he's out of the 2nd with no runs.

Condensed Game.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/twins-vs-rays/2021/09/04/632600#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=632600

Picking nits, but Albers wasn't called for a balk in the first. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RpR said:

That is what spring training is for, not bringing in some rookie to get his butt handed to him now.

In spring training, most of the time those rookie pitchers are going to be pitching against rookie hitters. If you want to get a real feel for how they will do against major league talent you bring them up as September call ups. You've already been able to see what they are doing against other minor leaguers. If he get's his butt handed to him now then you know what you got, Right? I would suspect they know what they got with guys like Albers who's 35 years old. Might as well bring back Matt Shoemaker, Matt Capps and Bartolo Colon if you just want to eat innings with washed up pitchers and not learn anything about your future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Featured Video

×
×
  • Create New...