Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Ian Gibaut coming to a MLB team near you

Gibaut. One of the adds off season with the roster room created because Baddoo and Wade weren't added or removed. Colassal fail.

I get injuries. Every team has them, and some have had even more, and are still competitive. The pitching decisions have been particularly atrocious.

Assuming this is just a "well he's on the 40-man and we suck anyways so let's just confirm he sucks at the major league level before we DFA him for Joe Ryan" move. Might as well. Think we're going to see basically every pitcher on the 40-man over the next few weeks and many will be sent on their way pretty quickly.

They're really committed to giving EVERY marginally MLB-rosterable pitcher they have a tryout.

I have no doubt that some of these guys are going to be cleared out soon, and the Twins FO is cycling through them before making space for September additions. There's a strategy there, but it's not the most the most fun to see all these marginal guys parading in and out.

Trying to see which pitcher can give up the most runs I guess.    Let's take the worst bullpen guy in AAA and see what they can do.   The only explanation I can give is an example to future Free Agents - "sign with us and you will get a shot to pitch in the majors - no matter how well you pitch" .  Not sure that is a methodology that leads to success. 

This almost makes you wonder if there is someone in the Front Office (or maybe at the MLB or AAA pitching coach level) who saw something in these marginal relief pitchers and is going to make damn sure that he is wrong before letting them go. Gibault did not perform in AAA. I can only think of two reasons why he would be called up. The first is that someone in the Front Office, on the twins coaching staff, or on the St. Paul coaching staff, is convinced this guy can be a performing, functional major-league reliever if he just does what this brilliant mind has for him and everyone is catering to this guys fragile ego even though the evidence is pretty overwhelming that this evaluation was wrong. The only other reason I can think of, and the one I hope it must be, is that we need an arm, they were planning on DFA'ing Gibault anyway at the end of the season, and they want to wait until September 1 to call up certain other guys so they call Gibault up now knowing that he's an easy guy to DFA on September 1 when they want to call up guys like Ryan, Hamilton, Moran, or others that are not on the 40 man roster. I'm really hoping it's the second reason and this is all the result of timing.

Can I ask one question of you guys to know the MLB rules in much better depth than I do? I understand that we would need to put a guy like Ryan on the 40 man roster to bring him up to the Twins. If we wait until September 1 or later does that delay his free agency clock or give us some advantage in later control over him, or does a call up on September 1 act like a call up any other time for free agency purposes? I understand that on September 1 we can add two players so we don't have to drop anybody, although I don't think that explains a lot of what's going on, so I'm curious if it has something to do with player control. I'm just trying to make this merry go round make sense. 

28 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

I mean... what's there to say about this? Gibaut is not and never will be MLB caliber. There's nothing to answer with this call up.

There comes a point where you owe something to the fans, particularly season ticket holders who bought into this season a year ago: and that is a non-embarrassing product, particularly when there are exciting options you choose not to use because reasons.

22 minutes ago, LA VIkes Fan said:

The only other reason I can think of, and the one I hope it must be, is that we need an arm, they were planning on DFA'ing Gibault anyway at the end of the season, and they want to wait until September 1 to call up certain other guys so they call Gibault up now knowing that he's an easy guy to DFA on September 1 when they want to call up guys like Ryan, Hamilton, Moran, or others that are not on the 40 man roster. I'm really hoping it's the second reason and this is all the result of timing.

That's what I assume is the logic too. It would be reasonable, even if you don't agree with it. I get why people's trust in the front office isn't extending very far right now, though.

(Gibaut was not on the 40-man - he was added in order to be called up - but maybe they chose to look at him now because he would be a minor-league free agent after this year? Not sure.)

If September 1 is a meaningful date for how long the team has rights to the player's services, I guess I'm not clear on why that is either. I recall that if a player is added to the 40-man in September it doesn't count as one of his 3 option years, but someone here recently pointed out that if a player is added to the 40-man for September, he's unlikely to be sent back to the minors and thus won't use an option anyway.

Gibault and Albers are 2 names I was hoping to see on a different list. Normally not a reactive fan but our pitching is wearing on me. So now the only time I will pay attention is when Ober is pitching. Maybe I'll watch to see if Jax can bounce back from that beating. Maybe September will bring some good news......

The Twins have an impressive list of scrap heap relievers that have been on the 24 man roster at some point this season. To date the 11 player list includes Ian Gibaut, Kyle Barraclough, Brandon Waddell, Nick Vincent, Ralph Garza, Beau Burrows, Edgar Garcia, Derek Law, Luke Farrell, Danny Coulombe, and Juan Minaya.

31 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Right! The exact bleeping opposite of that. 100% NOT that. Unless he's DFA in a couple days and a real RP prospect brought up, I am done defending the FO. 

Personally I’m not drawing my line in the sand calling up a RP but I very much understand the frustration. Yet another waiver wire pick gets the call before any internal prospect they’ve drafted and developed. At least Garcia is off the MLB team. The two times I’ve seen him on TV is more than enough. Dude is a more wild version of Sam Deduno, which I didn’t think was possible. 

On 8/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, twins_89 said:

The Twins have an impressive list of scrap heap relievers that have been on the 24 man roster at some point this season. To date the 11 player list includes Ian Gibaut, Kyle Barraclough, Brandon Waddell, Nick Vincent, Ralph Garza, Beau Burrows, Edgar Garcia, Derek Law, Luke Farrell, Danny Coulombe, and Juan Minaya.

And we still have Joe Harvey, Andrew Vasquez (who actually is still young and pitching okay), Sean Gilmartin, Chandler Shepherd, Robinson Leyer, Chris Nunn...and they could be claiming a new one each and every day for the rest of the season!

Gibaut was on the 40-man in the off-season, then off before spring training. He has pitched a bit better of late, but one could wonder how he lasted this long down on the farm overall, except this is the year the Twins filled their AAA and AA rosters with out-of-the-organization guys.

Remember, anyone added to the September call-up positions have to be on the 40-man. So expect to see some moves soon if we want to add Miranda and Ryan. I fully expect Strotman to also get called up in place of someone (he's on the 40-man). I also would like to see Balazovic get a couple of short starts just to face major league hitters.

The Saints season was extended two weeks, so it ends when the Twins end, so either way players come to get Twins tryouts or they give the Saints a first place finish (no playoff here). I think they can easily elevate Cabbage to replace Miranda, and probably find some pitchers to cover for Strotman and Ryan, considering neither have been here (or send Barnes and maybe Jax back down for the St. Paul finales). Or, leave Dobnak in St. Paul and let him be the hero of the new minor league team in 2021.

I want to see Albers, but would rather see him 3-4 innings in relief to see if that is a strength the Twins could use in 2022 and offer an alternative to Thielbar if need be. Same with Gant...a multi inning relief pitcher (one from both sides) is a plus. Let's give starts to future starters, please. Not placesetters.

3 minutes ago, Rosterman said:

And we still have Joe Harvey, Andrew VBasquez (who actually is still young and pitching okay), Sean Gilmartin, Chandler Shepherd, Robinson Leyer, Chris Nunn...and they could be claiming a new one each and every day for the rest of the season!

Gibaut was on the 40-man in the off-season, then off before spring training. He ahs pitched a bit better of late, but one could wonder how he lasted this long down on the farm overall, except this is the year the Twins filled their AAA and AA rosters with out-of-the-organization guys.

Remember, anyone added to the September call-up positions have to be on the 40-man. So expect to see some moves soon if we want to add Miranda and Ryan. I fully expect Strotman to also get called up in palce of someone (he's on the 40-man). I also would like to see Ballazovic get a couple of short starts just to face mahor elague hitters.

The Saints season was extended two weeks, so it ends when the Twins end, so either way players come to get Twins tryouts or they give the Saints a first place finish (no playoff here). I think they can easily elevate Cabbage to replace Miranda, and probably find some pitchers to cover for Strotman and Ryan, considering neither have been here (or send Barnes and maybe Jax back down for the St. Paul finales). Or, leave Dobnak in St. Paul and let him be the hero of the new minor league team in 2021.

I want to see Albers, but would rather see him 3-4 innings in relief to see if that is a strength the Twins could use in 2022 and offer an alternative to Thielbar if need be. Same with Gant...a multi inning relief pitcher (one from both sides) is a plus. Let's give starts to future starters, please. Not placesetters.

I prefer Gant in 1-2 inning stints. He's been effective that way. If they really want multi inning RPs, and are worried about innings next year, they should be considering piggy backing "starters". 

This is beyond stupidity... how does this make any sense? Why both to call up our AAA's worst reliever? Falvine is jumping the shark with this move. I get that he will be a quick DFA soon, but... yuck. 

15 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

Mind. F'n Boggling. I have lost faith in this FO.

The FO is just F****** with us now.  Wasn't even on the 40 man, had to add him.  Falvine are just trying to show us simpletons they are playing 3-D chess while all us clowns are playing tic-tac-toe.

I'm just glad Morse did the video and posted it to Twitter at the beginning of the year where he has the players tell us how to pronounce their names. So I know how to say Gibaut.

Mind boggling  ...

Gibaut is probably the worst pitcher at st Paul,  no use for him there  for the saints playoffs so the front office decides that our twins pitching has been  bad all year , why change anything ...

Boy it's lonely being a twins fan this year and they just keep pissing off what twins fans are left