Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Are Joe Ryan and Jordan Balazovic inbound to Minnesota?

In a recent interview, Baldelli talks about the value of experience and implies that there may be (multiple, hopefully) pieces inbound to Minnesota as we head into the final month of the season. In the following MLBTR link, they speculate that not only Joe Ryan but also Jordan Balazovic may be headed to Minnesota soon. While Ryan seems like a given to me, Balazovic is a moderate surprise.

On top of those two names, I'd be disappointed if Drew Strotman and/or Jovani Moran didn't get a call as well. I mean, why not? I'll understand if they don't call up all five guys at once - that could create some 40-man situations as soon as the season ends - but right now, this front office should be taking a long, hard look at the 40-man and readily jettisoning players who simply are not key components to the Twins' future: Derek Law, Kyle Barraclough, Andrew Albers... the list is easily 5-6 pitchers deep at this point and I'd argue maybe even double digits if they really want to get axe-happy.

Get rid of them. All of them. If they want to keep some promising arms like Farrell or Colina, whatever, that's fine. But now is the time to start cleaning house. Sure, leave enough room for returning IL pitchers they want to keep and then some additional room for free agents but it's long past time to release the hopeless waiver wire guys that have populated this roster since April.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/sox-activate-yasmani-grandal-royals-brad-keller-injury-twins-rumors-top-prospects.html

Will be shocked if Balazovic gets the call.  One, he has pitched a lot of innings, at least for him after not pitching at all last year.  Second, he hasn't been pitching all that well the last three weeks or so.  Seems to have one good game surrounded by a couple that aren't good.  If he isn't battling an injury, gotta believe he has that ole dead arm.  And third, the kid is still at AA making a direct call problematic with this year's crazy rules.

1 minute ago, roger said:

Will be shocked if Balazovic gets the call.  One, he has pitched a lot of innings, at least for him after not pitching at all last year.  And second, he hasn't been pitching all that well the last three weeks or so.  Seems to have one good game surrounded by a couple that aren't good.  If he isn't battling an injury, gotta believe he has that ole dead arm.  And third, the kid is still at AA making a direct call problematic with this year's crazy rules.

I'd also be very surprised if Balazovic got the call this year, but not sure his innings or being in AA is why. Celestino was in AA and debuted for the Twins after a day on the AAA roster. You basically just need to get sent to AAA, tested, and you're good. And Balazovic is at 77 innings this year after throwing 93.2 in 2019. If he's healthy he'll keep making starts every 5 or 6 days for the rest of the year. Whether that's in AA, AAA, or MLB I don't know, but I think he's right where they want him in terms of getting in innings this year. I just think they'll test other guys before him this year.

11 minutes ago, roger said:

Will be shocked if Balazovic gets the call.  One, he has pitched a lot of innings, at least for him after not pitching at all last year.  Second, he hasn't been pitching all that well the last three weeks or so.  Seems to have one good game surrounded by a couple that aren't good.  If he isn't battling an injury, gotta believe he has that ole dead arm.  And third, the kid is still at AA making a direct call problematic with this year's crazy rules.

I agree, though maybe they just slide him into a bullpen role to ease his innings off and also get him some experience in MLB.

It's not as if the Twins don't have space in the bullpen for him.

51 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I'd also be very surprised if Balazovic got the call this year, but not sure his innings or being in AA is why. Celestino was in AA and debuted for the Twins after a day on the AAA roster. You basically just need to get sent to AAA, tested, and you're good. And Balazovic is at 77 innings this year after throwing 93.2 in 2019. If he's healthy he'll keep making starts every 5 or 6 days for the rest of the year. Whether that's in AA, AAA, or MLB I don't know, but I think he's right where they want him in terms of getting in innings this year. I just think they'll test other guys before him this year.

Celestino was called up because they had no other OF's on the 40 man roster. 

4 minutes ago, lecroy24fan said:

Celestino was called up because they had no other OF's on the 40 man roster. 

Correct. Was just pointing out that the other poster's concern that it's more complicated to call players up this year (you can't call guys up directly from AA this year) isn't really a concern as you only have to stop at AAA for a day. If Balazovic doesn't get called up it won't be because he was in AA instead of AAA and it was too hard to call players up from AA.

1 minute ago, chpettit19 said:

Correct. Was just pointing out that the other poster's concern that it's more complicated to call players up this year (you can't call guys up directly from AA this year) isn't really a concern as you only have to stop at AAA for a day. If Balazovic doesn't get called up it won't be because he was in AA instead of AAA and it was too hard to call players up from AA.

It’s particularly a non-issue for starters, as they have five days to get to St Paul, check in for a day, and then make a 20 minute drive to Target Field. 

11 minutes ago, Rick Blaine said:

It is my understanding they can only bring up two players including Buxton without sending down or cutting loose a current 26 roster member. 

Isn't 28 the max? (The Max wears 26 is not an acceptable answer.)

28 is the max but look at the current roster. If they have the will, there are at least five easy cuts ready to be made. 

Miranda, Ryan, Moran, Strotman - yes, do it. DFA the chaff blocking them if need be.

Balazovic - I say nay, for the reasons given above. He has been streaky at AA and IMO still needs to keep working on his stuff in the minors. It wouldn't be a big deal if he was called up, especially since he's already on the 40 man, but it's not a necessity.

Also, I'd consider calling up one or more of the AAA overachievers just to give him a chance over the mediocre veterans - Hamilton, Vasquez, Kerrigan, Contreras, etc, over the likes of Barraclough, Albers, Refsnyder, etc.

2 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

This is, quite literally, what I and others have been typing here for a month or so, and yet, we are looking at Albers and Barnes ......

And don't forget that sleeper Ian Gebault(who??) who get called up today's version of musical chairs with the bullpen.  This has been a LOST season since April, but I cannot understand why Gebault and his 7.20 ERA over 40 IP with the Saints is getting the call up over sooooo many more deserving candidates----namely Hamilton and Moran.  Shows me that the FO has NO INTEREST in giving legit pitching prospects that can help next year a chance.  Frustrating to put it mildly.  

Balazovic to St. Paul for a couple of starts...now. Ryan and Strotman to the Twins, now...maybe at the expense of Barnes, with one of the relief guys going off the 40-man.

St. Paul has played without Ryan and Strotman most of the year, remember. Heck, we can send Ober back if we have to lessen his innings. Not a demotion, just a rest.

Switch out Colome for Moran. Maybe add in Hamiloton for another out-of-favor veteran minor league free agent who will still be a minor league free agent.

And bring up Miranda and Jettison...Simmons. Move Polanco to short, have Arraez everyday and batting at the top of the order (which he should be doing - getting five at bats from Arraez is better than five from Kepler or Rooker, right). Move Cabbage (potential minor league free agent) up to St. Paul.

You don't leave St. Paul floundering at all, and the two weeks of additional play rather than playoff games was for all teams to generate more in-stadium revenue. The Saints will do okay in the standings. There are no playoffs. And you need to get the future Twins at bats and pitches against major league players so they know what to work on in winter ball to come prepared to run at spring training and be a part of the 2022 Minnesota Twins!

6 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

This is, quite literally, what I and others have been typing here for a month or so, and yet, we are looking at Albers and Barnes ......

Understand on Albers, but I think Barnes is exactly the type that they need to have work some innings to see if he will remain on the 40-man roster. I think Ian Hamilton is a guy they should get up soon. Still just 25, but will be a free agent after the season if not brought up. Would be nice to see him get a month of chances to see if it's worth keeping him on the 40 man all offseason. I'm always going to be pro-Albers, even though I understand completely why he doesn't make sense.

Balazovic last 6 starts. 5.06 ERA triple slash against .304/.406/.482 OPS .888, 60% strikes, 7.1 K/9, 6.4 BB/9. He's getting killed out there. I don't see a good reason to call him up just to watch him get obliterated at the MLB level.

I'd like to see Ryan, Cano and Moran. Just have to wait and see.

Ryan, Miranda, Hamilton and Moran would be up for me... 

I think I'd keep Strotman at St. Paul. His numbers aren't screaming for a call up, and like Balazovic, he's only on his first option year, so no rush. Keep him down and working on his control/command.

Moran and Hamilton because both would become free agents after the season if not called up. 

Miranda, but only if they're going to play him 4 out of 5 games, otherwise, keep him in St. Paul.

I'd keep Albers up just to have a rubber arm that can pitch in a variety of situations and eat innings to help keep the young guys innings under control... 

If all these wunder kindt pitchers you are assuming are good , turn out to be no better than Rooker or Larnach in performance, next year will be worse than this year.

I am hoping Kirilloff is good as his short start, but after the wunder kindt of the past decade running like a hit-miss engine I would no,  be spouting -- OH bring up this guy, that guy and the other guy because there is nothing to show what the return will be.  

13 minutes ago, Seth Stohs said:

Ryan, Miranda, Hamilton and Moran would be up for me... 

I think I'd keep Strotman at St. Paul. His numbers aren't screaming for a call up, and like Balazovic, he's only on his first option year, so no rush. Keep him down and working on his control/command.

Moran and Hamilton because both would become free agents after the season if not called up. 

Miranda, but only if they're going to play him 4 out of 5 games, otherwise, keep him in St. Paul.

I'd keep Albers up just to have a rubber arm that can pitch in a variety of situations and eat innings to help keep the young guys innings under control..

Any chance Larnach comes back up?

7 minutes ago, RpR said:

If all these wunder kindt pitchers you are assuming are good , turn out to be no better than Rooker or Larnach in performance, next year will be worse than this year.

I am hoping Kirilloff is good as his short start, but after the wunder kindt of the past decade running like a hit-miss engine I would no,  be spouting -- OH bring up this guy, that guy and the other guy because there is nothing to show what the return will be.  

So you don't want anyone brought up because they "might" be not great?  That's a great outlook for a front office to have and a real morale boost for the minor league players.

Good topic Brock and one that's generating a lot of good thoughts/opinions.  I think we're ALL frustrated this season has been such a disaster.  But, as I've said in some other posts, when you look at how White Sox ownership and management approached this off season and compare it to how TWINS ownership and management approached this off season you can easily see the Twins are right where they should be in the standings (getting our just desserts if you will).  And we've traded Berrios and Cruz.  I agree whole heartedly that the Twins need to jettison some chaff and at least get a sense of what they have.  Even if a Ryan or Balazovic only get 3-4 starts that only go 4-5 innings based on pitch counts.  If the Pohlad's are "satisfied" with how this season has gone and with the judgement of our FO this past off season, then as Twins fans we are in a world of hurt.  Frank Viola just called them all out on twitter and rightfully so.  But Brock is right.  The Twins need to make some obvious (and some tough) decisions on their 40-man roster.  Seth has a good "short" list of 4 guys who should be up with the Twins VERY SOON.  I hope the Twins FO gets their act together but after this year's failure, my optimism is guarded.

I do believe it will be helpful to the development of players like Ryan and Miranda to play for a month. I don’t believe we will learn anything in a month that would be helpful in making decisions about next year. Ryan may pitch well or not. Miranda may hit well or not. It won’t tell us anything about their readiness. They would be my two locks though. They have dominated AAA and are ready to struggle in the majors.

Relievers are hard. The sample is always so small for a reliever and any stats are pretty useless in making a decision. They should have in the pen the pitchers that are the best bets for a roster spot next year. They didn’t need to wait until September to make that happen though. 

10 hours ago, terrydactyls said:

So you don't want anyone brought up because they "might" be not great?  That's a great outlook for a front office to have and a real morale boost for the minor league plaryers.

The Spring games in Florida will say whether or not they should stay in the minors or try the majors, simple as that; as is, if they are dominating the minors , let them have their time of glory, may be all they ever have.

The Twins are trying to see who can adjust, with both players who were not on the roster earlier this year and those who have been here all season. The looks and subsequent demotions of players like Edgar Garcia, Shoemaker, and others is an example. Likewise, the continued looks at Barnes, Albers, Alcala, Duffey, and Colome are justified. Barnes and/or Albers may provide future value in middle relief. Can they be sharp on a routine basis? The three relievers I mentioned have the pitches to succeed and it remains a question whether they can repeat their deliveries. Alcala is inexpensive, controlled, and can show his talent from time to time. Duffey when sharp is useful, and Colome still can miss the barrel on most occasions. The tough decisions are who can be counted on to be more consistent going forward. The big needs are pitchers who can hold the fort at the back end of the bullpen and two (now three) starters to push the game into innings seven and eight. The Twins are really happy right now with four or five effective innings which puts a pretty significant strain over the course of time on the bullpen. Twins fans will be seeing a bunch of pitchers climb the pitcher's mound in the last stretch of the season and we will need to trust that some solid conclusions are drawn and decisions made to push the Twins toward competitiveness next year.

Joe Ryan looks to me like a future ace.  Belazovic may have ace potential, but needs more consistency. Both should be called up to get a look at the mlb environment. A month of familiarization will help them see what they need to work on. Same goes for other hopefuls like Miranda. Give the boys a taste, both to motivate and to  educate.