Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Oh great! I get the Albers game. Plucky Andrew Albers has made his way back to the major leagues (or the Twins rotation) and will get a start tonight against the first-place Milwaukee Brewers. Albers will be 36 years old during the playoffs this season. He has absolutely no future as a major league pitcher and there is very little to suggest that he will fare well against a Brewer club that has surprised me by taking a good lead in the NL Central. Of course, you never know do you? Maybe Lucy won't pull the football away as Charlie Brown approaches, maybe the Washington Generals will defeat the Globetrotters. And so it goes. It is hard to be excited with a rotation that includes (ace) Baily Ober, Griffin Jax, John Gant, Charlie Barnes and Albers. Even if one of them has a good outing, the game gets turned over to a bullpen that includes notables like Alex Colume, Edgar Garcia and Kyle Barraclough. All of the short starts overexpose a bullpen that is shredding in front of our eyes. There is very little hope of seeing much more than five innings out a starter and a good chance that no lead will be safe. 

Oh well, enough positivity! It's been raining in my neck of MInnesota for about 12 hours. In SE Minnesota, the conditions were dry, but not drought stricken, so the rain was welcomed but not regarded as saving crops and gardens. It's still raining in Minneapolis at noon, with showers expected to recur later. The game may be postponed or delayed depending on what the club wants to do. One factor is a wet, muddy track would probably delay the return of Byron Buxton by another day. Not ideal. The weather forecast improves for the weekend, so the Twins will likely get all three games in versus the Brewers. 

Left hander Eric Lauer starts for the Brewers, he is 4-4 with an ERA under four, so he would be a Twins ace. The Brewers have opened an eight and a half game lead over second-place Cincinnati and should coast into the playoffs. Milwaukee is playing better than .600 baseball, getting good pitching and decent run scoring. Could Milwaukee/Green Bay become the home of professional championships? Seems strange to mention Tampa and Milwaukee as sports hotbeds, but here we are. 

Apparently there will be a game today as the Twins have posted a lineup and Buxton is back! Welcome back Buck. Watching you play for the next six weeks might make some of the 2021 season demons go away.

Lineups to follow--enjoy your Friday night everyone!

Pitchers

PLAYER W-L ERA WHIP IP H K BB HR
E. Lauer 4-4 3.59 1.25 77.2 68 76 29 11
A. Albers 0-0 2.25 0.75 4.0 2 4 1 1

Milwaukee (78-50)

HITTERS H-AB RBI HR SB AVG
K. Wong2B 94-330 38 11 9 .285
L. UriasSS 96-387 57 17 5 .248
C. YelichDH 71-284 40 8 8 .250
A. GarciaRF 108-389 76 24 7 .278
L. CainCF 43-180 23 5 9 .239
R. Tellez1B 58-244 28 10 0 .238
M. PinaC 26-144 26 9 0 .181
J. PetersonLF 45-167 27 5 8 .269
P. Reyes3B 12-56 2 0 2 .214

Twins (55-72)

HITTERS H-AB RBI HR SB AVG
B. BuxtonCF 38-103 19 10 5 .369
J. Polanco2B 125-456 76 24 10 .274
R. RefsnyderLF 26-98 10 2 0 .265
J. DonaldsonDH 83-334 54 19 0 .249
M. Sano1B 75-349 57 22 1 .215
R. JeffersC 40-190 29 11 0 .211
M. KeplerRF 68-329 45 16 8 .207
W. Astudillo3B 44-171 20 7 0 .257
A. SimmonsSS 77-348 27 3 1 .221

4 minutes ago, stringer bell said:

It's raining fairly hard here in SE Minnesota and my satellite TV has decided to shut down, so is there going to be a game tonight?

mlb app says it's in warm up, and mlb.tv has the "the event will begin shortly" screen.

I know that is neither a yes nor a no, but so it goes.

15 minutes ago, sampleSizeOfOne said:

A little sad Kyle was optioned as one of the moves that cleared room for Buxton.

Is his last name really a homonym for a particular pastry?

It certainly sounded that way when announcers talked about him...

??

Aug. 27: C Mitch Garver (low back tightness) placed on 10-day injured list
Garver's move is retroactive to Wednesday and comes after he missed the Twins' past two games against the Red Sox. His placement on the IL cleared a roster spot for Byron Buxton's return.

10 minutes ago, h2oface said:

??

Aug. 27: C Mitch Garver (low back tightness) placed on 10-day injured list
Garver's move is retroactive to Wednesday and comes after he missed the Twins' past two games against the Red Sox. His placement on the IL cleared a roster spot for Byron Buxton's return.

Yeah, those are stated as corresponding moves, but as i hadn't paid any attention all day, this also happened outside of my paying attention (per the mlbtraderumors)

3:27 pm: The Twins announced they’ve selected reliever Ian Gibaut to the big league roster and reinstated Jorge Alcalá from the 10-day injured list. In corresponding moves, Edgar Garcíaand Kyle Barraclough were optioned to Triple-A St. Paul. To open space for Gibaut on the 40-man roster, Minnesota transferred righty Luke Farrell from the 10-day to the 60-day injured list.

Featured Video