Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Joe Biden

I will preface this intro by saying we had very little choice but to go with Biden as our president. Another 4 years of Trump would have been disastrous. 

But I must say I am very concerned about Biden’s mental state. During the election, he sat back in the final months and allowed Trump to dig his grave. During that time there were murmurs Biden’s memory and cognition may be declining. 

The last few press conferences I’ve watched of him regarding Afghanistan has me gravely concerned that he is dealing with early on set Alzheimer’s. His answers are written on papers in front of him, and he’s only calling on people where he knows prior what the question will be. Anything off script exposes this weakness. 

Biden was always thought of as a one term president. But 6 months in, I’m not sure he will make it 4 years before a replacement is named. 

Before a replacement is named? That replacement is already named. And her name is Kamala Harris. But Afghanistan is a mess. We should never have gotten in there to begin with. (Thank you, Pres. Bush.) And we shouldn't have committed more to it. (Thank you, Pres. Obama.) And we shouldn't have let a buffoon sabotage peace talks and retreat with the Taliban making today's situation worse. (Thank you, Pres. Trump.) And then poorly handling the ultimate pull-out, that was already promised and committed to by the previous administration. (Thank you, Pres. Biden.)

I don't know how you blame one president for this ... and believe me, Biden deserves blame ... without blaming them all. I didn't hear his press talk today, but I heard the previous one, and I didn't have a question about his mental competency, as @Vanimal46 is claiming. It doesn't feel or sound like a repeat of the Reagan era with a sitting president engulfed in Alzheimer's as Reagan was. But then, Alzheimer's affects people differently, as does all kinds of dementia. Time will tell. I trust (waveringly and questionably but still do more than I don't) those surrounding Biden to be a bit more forthcoming than those who surrounded Reagan were (as in, they were not at all forthcoming, as Reagan shouldn't have run for a 2nd term) but we will see.

Yes I should have said until Harris is named as the replacement. I don’t take it lightly throwing around Alzheimer’s accusations. My grandma was just diagnosed with the horrendous disease last month, and her short term memory is non existent now. I am worried about him in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Yes I should have said until Harris is named as the replacement. I don’t take it lightly throwing around Alzheimer’s accusations. My grandma was just diagnosed with the horrendous disease last month, and her short term memory is non existent now. I am worried about him in the future. 

My Dad had dementia. I understand first hand your concerns.

Seems to me we've spent 6 months being a more stable country with lots of things happening that are demonstrably awesome for most Americans.  If Biden needs to hand the reigns to Kamala....I'm fine with that.  I don't see what there is to fret about.

Joe Biden has never been the type to put himself before his country.  We elected a genuinely good person, let's just be happy about that and let things happen as they happen.  I won't feed inane right-wing talking points any oxygen.

11 minutes ago, a-wan said:

Joe Biden has always had the public speaking abilities of a frog. The stuttering, the lack of charisma, how do you tell?

I think you tell by how good or not you felt about voting/not voting for him to begin with

I'm not concerned with his mental state, but there is some Carter-level incompetence going in Washington.  Biden is a part of the problem, but Congress is worse.

Like Charlie Brown, the Democrats can't resist trying to kick the football, and the Republicans will always pull the ball away.  It only takes one side acting in bad faith to destroy bipartisanship.  The Democrats should stop looking for promises and expect action.

The filibuster has to go.  The filibuster simply gives cover to politicians who do not want to go on the record with an unpopular vote.  That's literally the only point in it.  If someone wants to kill a bill, fine, let them do it by voting on the floor. 

Also, if the Senate Parlimentarian does not go along with what the Democrats want, fire him or her and get another one.  The majority party makes the rules.

Harris is a major disappointment.  I was a huge fan of hers until she attacked Biden in the primaries.  I decided Biden was a bigger man than I was after he buried the hatchet and gave her another chance.  After seeing her in action, I've since decided that I was right when I decided she's not competent, and heck not a good person.

One thing everyone is missing on the Afghanistan thing....

When Pompeo was negotiating an exit from Afghanistan, he was not negotiating with the "Afghan government."  He was negotiating with the Taliban.  This clearly illustrates the government the US installed was never in control.

Installing a minority government has never worked when the US has tried it, which is compoundedly stupid as the US has only tried it after European governments tried it in the same parts of the world in the past.  I don't know why the US decided to try to pick up the messes that European colonialism manufactured.  Biden is right to nix that, but nixing it does not absolve us of responsibility.  

Having given this some deeper thought, a better exit strategy should have been put into place.  

Featured Video