Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Twins Options at Shortstop in 2022

5 minutes ago, TheLeviathan said:

How can I argue with a position that cherry pick one measure to make their point with massive amounts of evidence to the contrary?

Stone cold logic there sir.

It goes against your narrow mind and dislike for a player, que sera, sera.

7 minutes ago, TheLeviathan said:

I fully admit, I'm not a fan of 60 OPS+ players in my favorite team's lineup.  I'm a crazy person, clearly.

If those numbers you are infatuated with determined who would be in the Hall of Fame, it would be a LOT smaller now than it is.

3 minutes ago, RpR said:

If those numbers you are infatuated with determined who would be in the Hall of Fame, it would be a LOT smaller now than it is.

There isn't a single Hall of Famer anywhere near that bad that has played professional baseball .  Literally no one.

6 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Like how someone feels about Larnach.....

I do not dislike him but he is slow with a weak arm, some thing the Twins cannot afford with their some times ineptitude in the field.

Garlick or Refsnyder are much better, therefore; Larnach should spend a year of time in AAA to see if what you see is all that you  will ever get.

A veteran OF with a accurate strong arm would be best but Garlick or Refsnyder look good; I do not see Rooker as any better than Larnach, at this point.

Just now, RpR said:

I do not dislike him but he is slow with a weak arm, some thing the Twins cannot afford with their some times ineptitude in the field.

Garlick or Refsnyder are much better, therefore; Larnach should spend a year of time in AAA to see if what you see is all that you  will ever get.

A veteran OF with a accurate strong arm would be best but Garlick or Refsnyder look good; I do not see Rooker as any better than Larnach, at this point.

Rooker is much worse. I would prefer Larnach DH or be traded, but that's a very different discussion than someone saying he's awful and shown no future.

2 minutes ago, a-wan said:

Wow. Batting average? Is this 1998?

Is there another way of determining how often one HAS ACTUALLY hit the ball fair, not fantasy league let's pretend?

23 minutes ago, RpR said:

Is there another way of determining how often one HAS ACTUALLY hit the ball fair, not fantasy league let's pretend?

Yeah, this is pointless to discuss if you're just going to go Joe Morgan on the bit. Good day sir.

33 minutes ago, RpR said:

Not to be rude; but how old are you? Clearly hitting them where they ain't isn't always a repeatable skill, right? That's luck. That's why we discount batting average, and prefer other statistics which measure repeatable skill, and a fuller representation of offensive output.

2 minutes ago, PseudoSABR said:

Not to be rude; but how old are you? Clearly hitting them where they ain't isn't always a repeatable skill, right? That's luck. That's why we discount batting average, and prefer other statistics which measure repeatable skill, and a fuller representation of offensive output.

https://library.fangraphs.com/pitching/babip/

2 hours ago, PseudoSABR said:

A LOT of people on this site are having conniptions about Simmons batting average, while ignoring his superior fielding skills so preach your number games some where else.

7 hours ago, RpR said:

A LOT of people on this site are having conniptions about Simmons batting average, while ignoring his superior fielding skills so preach your number games some where else.

By statistical measure, and this falls in line with historical trends for shortstops his age, he's not the defender he was.  The stats being used are wrc+ or OPS+ because they capture a fuller picture of the hitter's performance and then compare it to other shortstops/players around the league.  Meaning the numbers we're posting capture the more complete story (Simmons is a bad hitter this year) and only fairly compare him to his peers at SS.  (Which, again, compared to other shortstops....he's still a bad hitter)

These are not "fantasy" stats or "bookie" stats.  They are mathematical formulas that more accurately capture player performance.  By every statistical measure we have, Andrelton Simmons is a bad baseball player.  Nick Gordon might be too, but if he's not it helps the 2022 Twins.  Simmons has no present and no future in helping the Twins.