Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Is Anybody Watching? Twins See Sharp Decline In TV Viewers

Are You Watching The Twins?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Are you watching the Twins as frequently as you did in 2019?

• Watched every game
    • Watched a lot of games, sat a few out
    • Watched about half of the games
    • Watched a few here and there
    • Haven't seen a game all year

According to a recent Forbes article, viewership in baseball has declined significantly in most markets

Here in the Twin Cities, there has been a 55% decrease in viewers compared to the 2019 season. There are the obvious reasons why: 

First, Bally Sports North has been a clusterbleep. They have no presence on platforms like YouTubeTV and Hulu, giving the cord-cutters little option to even watch the game.

Second, the team has been abysmal and most, if not all, of the bottom-dwelling teams across the league have seen their numbers crater. 

But there's also the notion that the pandemic has influenced people's viewing habits -- that perhaps bigger issues have arisen making sitting down nightly for a game a little less palpable.

Furthermore, there is the idea that the game has changed enough on the field that it is offering a less entertaining brand of baseball. Fewer balls in play has diluted the quality and has turned away a segment of the population.

We're looking for some anecdotal feedback. This community is obviously of the die-hard variety but habits do change. Are you consuming about the same amount of games? Fewer? If so, why?

Technically, I've attended more games than I've watched.  I can't watch games since I'm a cord cutter.  I still follow most games though, one way or another.  Maybe not as much of them though.  A few innings rather than entire games kinda thing.  I don't catch as many games as I normally would, but that's got more to do with life more than anything else.  Even my game attendance has been down this season for the same reasons.  

They really need to figure out the BSN bit though.  I've adapted, but it seems ridiculous to have so many households in the dark.  In that sense, hopefully the steep decline in viewership helps change that.  With baseball in a state of decline already, reduced viewership is a pretty bad thing.

In 2019 I watched over 2/3rds of the games and totally locked in for the playoffs. This year I watched a game or 2 a week. I’m still bitter about the trade deadline and haven’t turned on a game since. Football is right around the corner. 

3 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

In 2019 I watched over 2/3rds of the games and totally locked in for the playoffs. This year I watched a game or 2 a week. I’m still bitter about the trade deadline and haven’t turned on a game since. Football is right around the corner. 

With you being in Texas, I imagine that you subscribe to MLB.tv or something right?  Do you still watch other games or has that declined too?

I really think this has mostly to do with Bally Sports not being available on most platforms. MLB has to be careful because once people get used to it not being available, it will be hard to get many of those casual viewers back. I subscribe to MLB.tv to watch my Twins because I'm in the Brewers tv market. Still tune into part or all of Twins games most days via radio or tv depending on what I'm doing, but I always used to catch a Brewers game a couple times a week because it was on TV, now I can't via YouTubeTV, Hulu, or anything else

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I watch about half of the games, less than usual. Part is because the team is bad, the other part is because baseball is bad.

MLB needs to take action yesterday. TTO baseball is boring as **** to watch. 

If the Twins were competitive this year, would you watch more games -- even if you feel the baseball is bad? Or has the on-field product across the board reduced your interest in watching the game?

2 minutes ago, wsnydes said:

With you being in Texas, I imagine that you subscribe to MLB.tv or something right?  Do you still watch other games or has that declined too?

I’ll tune in for a marquee matchup like LA vs Houston, but nothing more than that. 

Just now, Vanimal46 said:

I’ll tune in for a marquee matchup like LA vs Houston, but nothing more than that. 

I've found myself doing that when I do have the time.  I'm pretty sure that I've watched every other team in baseball more than I have the Twins, and I live in the Cities.  That's not really a high bar to clear, but true nonetheless.

I generally watch on Gameday or listen to the radio as I often am working while I watch.  There were times early in the season when they were losing that I lost interest but as the All star break approached and the deadline got closer I started paying closer attention again.  I am a prospect watcher so a rare breed so am still interested in seeing how the new guys perform but if you are a die hard baseball fan looking for your team to win more often than lose then I can see where there might no longer be any reason to watch games.

I do think the pandemic created a shift as we didn't have baseball at all and found other things to do.  I can't get my kids interested in baseball as they have so many different interests they can choose from baseball just isn't on their wish list. If their is labor unrest and they strike I could see baseball having trouble making a comeback.

This is one of the worst Twins teams ever and couple that with the fact they were supposed to be good the disappointment level is extremely high. I can see why no one wants to watch this team right now other than us fans who follow the team no matter how they are doing.

5 minutes ago, Parker Hageman said:

If the Twins were competitive this year, would you watch more games -- even if you feel the baseball is bad? Or has the on-field product across the board reduced your interest in watching the game?

Yeah, I’d watch more Twins games. I probably wouldn’t watch more baseball, though, and I usually catch a few interesting non-Twins games a week. 

TiVo!  Flip through the game. 3/4 of the time you can FF to the inevitable 2-2 count and pick up the action. I just can’t sit and watch a 3:30 game live anymore. Since the vaccine I have also rekindled my interest in amateur ball. Legion, VFW, and some town ball. Needless to say the quality isn’t the same, but there is 3 times the action. Btw, sometimes in Legion ball the outfielders actually hit a cutoff man!

I’m a huge sports fan and I find that I am watching much less baseball now than I did even five years ago. I live in Los Angeles so I watch the twins on MLBTV. The problem is baseball has become a mediocre entertainment product. The games are too long and there’s not a lot of excitement through most of the game. I don’t think we’re ever going to be able to do much about game length except around the edges because that is primarily the result of the high cost TV rights packages leading to a need for too many commercials, and that’s lead to too much time between innings.  The owners will never give up that money.

I think we need to focus on improving the product. I think the shift is a big part of the problem and is one of the things that has led to the high strike out in search of power approach. I think the rules should be changed so that the defensive team has to have two players on each side of second base, each with at least 1 foot on the dirt.I think this will lead to more ground ball or line drive singles, more traffic on the bases, more pressure on the pitcher and defense, more scoring, and more excitement. I look at a guy like Max Kepler and I see a guy trying to be something he’s not, a home run hitter, because the shift has really robbed him of his ability to be what he really is, a consistent singles/doubles hitter with occasional power. I’m sure there are better examples and hundreds of other examples.

I know people are not going to like what I am now going to say. Baseball needs to be run by people who understand entertainment, not old time sports/baseball people. The NFL has made this transition as has the NBA and they have improved their entertainment product.. Baseball still caters to my generation, I am 63, and is afraid to make changes. Add to that smart people on front offices who see and exploit analytics to create wins at the expense of excitement and you have a recipe for a boring product. And that’s what we have. Let’s take that same brainpower and task it with making the game more exciting. That’s what the NFL does. That’s the future. 

Since 2005 or so, I had watched Twins pretty religiously, even getting the MLB package when I lived out east. I easily watched 140 games or so each year.

I watched only a handful of games in 2020 b/c COVID made everything hellish.

This year, I've proabably watched 10 games. I'm a lot less interested in this team because:

1) they suck.
2) they are boring. I hate watching this pitching staff. Absolutely hate it. I watched the 2013 staff and enjoyed it more. Can't emphasize enough how much I hate this pitching.
3) Buxton's hurt and Berrios is gone. Those two were the main reason I watched games.
4) Lastly, this started a few years back. I really dislike Dick Bremer now. He annoys me and the game passed him by. I don't want to hear another story about getting a productive out or how what Ohatni's doing isn't as impressive as what Babe Ruth did. He needs to go.

@LA VIkes Fan 

Interesting comments. 

I'm intrigued by the notion that you dislike some of the "newer" elements of the game -- like the increase in shifts -- but also say the game is afraid to make changes. I think the game has changed a lot over the last 5-10 years and still evolving. 

Would you say those "newer" changes are not good for the game? Outside of keeping the shift from happening, are there other changes you would make to make the game more exciting? 

The thing about shifts is no matter where you place your fielders there is the same amount of real estate out there for a hitter to get a base hit. And if the defense is bunching up the fielders it actually leaves more room to get a hit. Willie Keeler used to say "Hit it where they ain't". Hitters today don't want to do that, they want to groove their swing and play home run derby.

I live in the cities, work in baseball analytics, have MLB.tv and BSN, have Twins season tickets, used to watch or attend 150+ Twins games a year while watching on average 1 other game a day, but have watched maybe a dozen non-Twins games this year to go along with maybe 2 dozen Twins games. Three true outcome baseball with shifts taking away baserunners constantly, the aversion to base stealing, and every AB seemingly taking 8 pitches to get to the inevitable K, BB, or HR is ruining the product. And it feels like there's more plodding corner OFers now that are there for their ability to hit balls 450ft without a care to defense. The athleticism of the game overall feels lesser and that's less entertaining.

People tune into sports to see people do things the rest of us can't. Like run real fast and jump real high. I'll watch a game featuring Buxton, Acuna, Tatis, Trout, Ohtani type guys even if their team is bad because their athleticism is incredible on it's own. The efficiency of front offices has taken away a lot of the excitement in the game because they've reduced the need for athleticism.

If the Twins were better I'd watch them more. I'm a prospect watcher so as they call guys up I'll tune in to see how they look at the big league level, and if/when Buxton comes back I'll tune in to watch him. Have a few more games to attend to pretend I'm getting value out of my season tickets, but Twins baseball (and baseball in general) is no longer appointment viewing for me and I'm about as diehard and dedicated to the game as anyone you'll find. The pandemic changed things and any work stoppage over the CBA may be a deathblow to MLB as we know it. It'll still be around, but will be down by hockey in terms of popularity.

Long post and will end with this, MLB is a regional sport and they're doing themselves no favors by having the Twins play the Brewers only 6 or 7 times a year. Build regional rivalries across the leagues and spread the talent out more. Have to get people to tune into games outside their region and give other franchises a better chance to build a national brand so every ESPN game isn't either a Yankee or Dodgers game.

I logged in the first time in over a year just to answer the question of why?

The answer for me is baseball has become woke and politicized and because of that I no longer watch nor do I support it.

Before you label me a fairweather fan...i never missed a game not in the mid 90s and not in the 2000s. I loved the Twins and baseball in the order. Didnt care how bad or good they were...loved them anyway. No more. I'm sure I am not the only one...yes I still check box scores sometimes but thats bout it. Yes I stay logged out but sometimes come on the site but not like I used to. I have totally lost interest in professional sports

14 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I live in the cities, work in baseball analytics, have MLB.tv and BSN, have Twins season tickets, used to watch or attend 150+ Twins games a year while watching on average 1 other game a day, but have watched maybe a dozen non-Twins games this year to go along with maybe 2 dozen Twins games. Three true outcome baseball with shifts taking away baserunners constantly, the aversion to base stealing, and every AB seemingly taking 8 pitches to get to the inevitable K, BB, or HR is ruining the product. And it feels like there's more plodding corner OFers now that are there for their ability to hit balls 450ft without a care to defense. The athleticism of the game overall feels lesser and that's less entertaining.

People tune into sports to see people do things the rest of us can't. Like run real fast and jump real high. I'll watch a game featuring Buxton, Acuna, Tatis, Trout, Ohtani type guys even if their team is bad because their athleticism is incredible on it's own. The efficiency of front offices has taken away a lot of the excitement in the game because they've reduced the need for athleticism.

If the Twins were better I'd watch them more. I'm a prospect watcher so as they call guys up I'll tune in to see how they look at the big league level, and if/when Buxton comes back I'll tune in to watch him. Have a few more games to attend to pretend I'm getting value out of my season tickets, but Twins baseball (and baseball in general) is no longer appointment viewing for me and I'm about as diehard and dedicated to the game as anyone you'll find. The pandemic changed things and any work stoppage over the CBA may be a deathblow to MLB as we know it. It'll still be around, but will be down by hockey in terms of popularity.

Long post and will end with this, MLB is a regional sport and they're doing themselves no favors by having the Twins play the Brewers only 6 or 7 times a year. Build regional rivalries across the leagues and spread the talent out more. Have to get people to tune into games outside their region and give other franchises a better chance to build a national brand so every ESPN game isn't either a Yankee or Dodgers game.

I agree. Thanks for the comment, chpettit19.

I watch a lot less this year, a big reason is because they're awful but several contributing factors really make it hard to even just enjoy the game for what it is and that's because:

• The time between pitches is out of control.  Please bring in the pitch clock.
  • Defensive shifts have drained away too much action.  The counter argument is that players should adjust and exploit the shift.  Well...it's been long enough and they aren't doing it so I have no hope it will happen.
  • I like the challenges and the instant replay but come on, why does this take so long?  
  • When a reliever comes in they get 2 pitches to acclimate and then game on.  They've been warming up already,  
  • And lastly, the technology is there to use the robot umps so let's get on with it.  It's become annoying as **** to watch missed calls and just adds to the overall bleh for me.

As if all that wasn't enough there's this elephant in the room called competitive balance which has been rotting away MLB since free agency started.  Baseball needs a salary cap and a floor to help ensure ALL of the teams are able to field a team that has some shot at the post season.  

19 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

Agreed with everything you typed. I want to piggy back off your last paragraph about regional rivalries. If the universal DH is implemented, I would love to see a reshuffle of divisions. Rotate the Brewers and Royals in the central. Hell, I’d like to have the Cubs in the same division too. Though their natural rivalry with St Louis makes too much sense to break them up. 

19 minutes ago, Parker Hageman said:

@LA VIkes Fan 

Interesting comments. 

I'm intrigued by the notion that you dislike some of the "newer" elements of the game -- like the increase in shifts -- but also say the game is afraid to make changes. I think the game has changed a lot over the last 5-10 years and still evolving. 

Would you say those "newer" changes are not good for the game? Outside of keeping the shift from happening, are there other changes you would make to make the game more exciting? 

You make a very good point about the shift, Parker. It is a new thing and is made the game less interesting at least in my view. I would also say the trend towards glorifying the "three true outcome" hitter with the concomitant increasing long stretches between balls being put in play is a big negative for the game as an entertainment product. One of the posters is tired of listening Dick Bremmer. He is in my favorite guy either, but I think he has to talk more and because there was so much more at dead time in a baseball game that there used to be.

I actually think a couple of the changes made over the last two years have helped. The rule requiring the pitchers to pitch to at least three hitters or end an inning has helped eliminate those late inning constant pitching changes that were slowing things down and driving me crazy. I know I am in the minority here, but I also liked the idea of starting extra innings with a runner on second base because it adds excitement to those innings. Maybe that should start in the 11th or 12th and instead of 10th, but it really put the pitcher and defense under immediate stress, magnified the importance of every at bat, rewarded managers who put singles hitters in the lineup because they could now end the game with one swing, and added some excitement. I think one of the interesting aftereffects was an increase in discussion on this board about strategy, failure to move runners over, "Rocco is an idiot because he doesn't bunt guys over", etc. That's exactly the chatter you want because it increases interest and was caused by changing the rules. I would make that change permanent. I think MLB is missing a good bet by caving in to the traditionalists on that rule. It's kind of like if the NFL decided not to continue emphasizing pass interference, which is really opened up the passing game and make football more fun to watch, because the "defense wins championships" traditionalists didn't like it because it made the Lester Hayes amongst co nor rnerbacks less important. The NFL was smart enough to see that the younger generation liked ADR the additional offense and that that is where their long term bread is buttered.

The other potential change that I would consider is limiting the size of pitching staffs to 12. The point here is to have more balls put in play, not to deemphasize the importance of pitching. By giving managers fewer relief options we might see starters go longer and relievers have to pitch an extra batter or two even if they're struggling. Should lead to fewer pitching changes, in my mind a good thing, and more balls in play as tiring or "I am having an off day" pitchers throw to more hitters.

I guess where I come out is much as I would like to see an average baseball game last two hours and 30 minutes rather than three hours and 15 minutes, I think TV probably has too much control over the game because of its money to make that ever a reality again. So, if we are going to have these long games let's have more excitement during play. To me that means more hits and more guys on base. That's when you really tune into a baseball game, when a team has a man or two on base with one in scoring position and an an out or two, or that situation with your best hitter up. That's what's fun to watch, not a 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts and each at-bat lasting 7 to 10 pitches because of all the foul balls, even if that he has a home running in it. Emphasize the value of hits rather than just home runs and the game gets more fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, heresthething said:

I watch a lot less this year, a big reason is because they're awful but several contributing factors really make it hard to even just enjoy the game for what it is and that's because:

• The time between pitches is out of control.  Please bring in the pitch clock.
  • Defensive shifts have drained away too much action.  The counter argument is that players should adjust and exploit the shift.  Well...it's been long enough and they aren't doing it so I have no hope it will happen.
  • I like the challenges and the instant replay but come on, why does this take so long?  
  • When a reliever comes in they get 2 pitches to acclimate and then game on.  They've been warming up already,  
  • And lastly, the technology is there to use the robot umps so let's get on with it.  It's become annoying as **** to watch missed calls and just adds to the overall bleh for me.

As if all that wasn't enough there's this elephant in the room called competitive balance which has been rotting away MLB since free agency started.  Baseball needs a salary cap and a floor to help ensure ALL of the teams are able to field a team that has some shot at the post season.  

Love your comments. Well, maybe except for using robot umpires. That takes away the fun of watching the game and saying that the home plate ump is an idiot.

Your best comment though is the competitive balance. We live in a world where there are five or six teams who are consistent contenders. They are all in big coastal cities or Chicago and they all spend more money than anybody else so they have better talent. That means if you're a baseball fan in Kansas City, Minneapolis, Denver, Dallas, etc., you have very little hope of following a consistently good team. You are left with the hope that they can pull a good team together for a 1 to 3 year run every decade, and be at best mediocre rest of the time. In fact, the smarter analytical move is a very move the Twins made this year; if you're not going to contend, trade away your best present assets for prospects and start over with players of all roughly the same age in the hope that all mature at the same time and give you that one to three year run before they all move on to bigger cities for bigger paychecks. I hate to keep bringing out the NFL but let's face it, they are much smarter than MLB. Their use of the salary cap and salary floor is much better for the fans because of the competitive balance. No matter what NFL team you follow, you can dream of at least playoff contention most of the time. That's simply not true in MLB.

I understand why the players don't want a salary cap/floor system because it does have a tendency to depress salaries at the top end and devalue older, middle-market players Frankly I think that's happening any way to mid market players. Teams now seeing the value in playing pre-arbitration players instead of older players who might contribute more now but have lower ceilings and cost more. Why? Because there is simply no difference between finishing third, fourth or fifth in your division. It simply doesn't matter. Does anyone really care if we finish ahead or behind Cleveland, Kansas City or Detroit this year? I don't. None of us are going to the playoffs so who cares? The smart move for us is to play younger guys through their inevitable initial ups and down in the hope we can compete in the future. The current baseball system really works to the advantage of the top 20% of the players, but not really for anybody else. I really think a salary cap/floor system would markedly help baseball. Unfortunately, the players will always o oppose that system, the cheaper owners will as well because they don't want to be forced to pay talent in years they can't compete, and the owners in the ibg sities will too beccause the don't wnat the revenue sharing that makes that kind of a system work.

17 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Agreed with everything you typed. I want to piggy back off your last paragraph about regional rivalries. If the universal DH is implemented, I would love to see a reshuffle of divisions. Rotate the Brewers and Royals in the central. Hell, I’d like to have the Cubs in the same division too. Though their natural rivalry with St Louis makes too much sense to break them up. 

Agreed. I'd like to see them realign some things with care to keep as many current rivalries in place as possible. You want more fans in stadiums? Bring the teams with fans nearby to the stadium more often. Twins are terrible, but I'm sure the Brewers games at the end of the month will be the most attended of the year. With universal DH there's really no reason not to have the Brewers and Twins in the same division.

1 hour ago, Parker Hageman said:

@LA VIkes Fan 

Interesting comments. 

In my case, "dislike" is the wrong term. Every step of the analytics process over the past 20 years has led to increased performance within the confines of the sport.

The problem is that "increased performance" doesn't have a strong correlation to "entertainment" in a spectator sport. If this was football, 2021 baseball is the equivalent of shutdown defenses and each offense grinding out time of possession above all else. That sounds horrible, right?

Thankfully, the NFL isn't afraid to change its rules when the sport drifts into less entertaining territory. MLB is deathly afraid to change its rules and that's why we're here right now.

I don't blame any individual team for doing all they can to maximize performance within the rules. I entirely blame MLB for not changing the rules when those tendencies lead us down a path of boring baseball.

I am not going to subscribe to cable or satellite dish again so I have not watched Twins games. I think the only game I watched this season was when I was in Illinois and they were playing the White Sox. I still listen on the radio and check the highlights on my cell phone. Baseball is a great sport to have on in the background.

I agree that the length of baseball games means I might not ever watch one beginning to end again. I almost never have 3-1/2 hours of uninterrupted time when I'm at home. I stopped watching football years ago partly because my time on a Sunday in the fall is too valuable to use it sitting in front of the TV all afternoon. I also agree that baseball needs to find a way to get more balls in play - defensive and baserunning is fun to watch.

Most of my sports consumption is watching my daughter play fastpitch softball. When that ends I'll probably spend more time in the summer hiking, bicycling and boating.

@Brock Beauchamp

I like that take. 

I do think that baseball's leadership has recognized things have unraveled on them. While I wouldn't say they are necessarily afraid to change their rules, I think they have done some haphazardly while being very deliberate about other changes.

They've thrown some into action right away (the 3 batters, runner on 2nd in extras, no sticky stuff). But the bigger picture rule changes they are trying out at the lower levels to see what happens. I think by trying some variations at the minor league levels (i.e., robo zone, big bases, pushing the mound back), it gives them an opportunity to see how that might influence the game play, which is probably a good thing. I've seen the robo zone in action at the AFL level and hitters are not ready to handle that particular strike zone (some adjustments need to be made yet). MLB's game would be drastically different if that were in effect. 

They probably are reacting 5 years too late for some of this but I think it's good that they are trying. 

Dig down deeper in the Forbes data, and you'll see it looks the same as it ever has: People don't want to watch baseball teams that lose.

The White Sox are actually up in viewership quite a bit. Funny how that works!

We have entered another era of bad baseball in Minnesota, where you can get kicked out of a Twin Cities sports bar for asking them to put the Twins game on one of their screens. 

I have DishTV so that takes care of most of it.  I did login using my daughters Xfinity account at the beginning of the year and now that Cruz and Berrios are gone and Buxton is out I have zero reason to watch Berrios pitches for Toronto tomorrow will at least GameDay that one.  Extremely uncomfortable for me to watch in my iPad and I even have the larger one!

My last comment is it is becoming too political.  First there was the ASG being moved from Atlanta.  The few weeks of the Derrick Chauvin trail was so tense, that I said no more news or social media and what do you know but they had a moment of silence for the other young man killed by the female officer who thought she was using a Taser.  I am not on any side mostly because I am not  cop and cannot fairly judge what she did.  But first I see the George Floyd memorial on the wall and 5 minutes later a moment of silence and I got made because I turned on the game to watch baseball and not get all wound up about things like that