• Create Account

Big Scare in Rochester NY last night

insagt1

Since the Twins were our parent for almost 2 decades, thought perhaps some of you might be interested in this from your recent AAA farm team.

Was at the game last night against Lehigh Valley, sitting right behind 3rd base. In the bottom of the 1st, right after a Wing blasted a 3 run homer, we saw our manager LeCroy (who coaches 3rd base) start running towards the IronPigs 3rd baseman Daniel Brito. At first we thought...is this going to be a fight..but quickly we saw LeCroy catch Brito as he was about to tumble to the ground. Easing him down and suddenly being surrounded by teammates, it was clear that Brito was in real trouble. He lay motionless for over 20 minutes while being worked on...given oxygen and being attended by medical staff. All we saw was his right leg twitching back and forth. Eventually an ambulance entered the field and carried him off to a local hospital. It was agreed upon that the game (games actually...a scheduled DH) would not continue and players on both sides were visibly shaken. Brito underwent emergency surgery last night and a second surgery this morning. We have no other details...other than he had said to our baserunner that he had a bad headache, before collapsing and that his left side appeared to be paralyzed.

They initially called it a seizure, but maybe not. Today's game was also postponed. The young man is in serious condition and it was very sobering to witness. It harkened back to one other incident I witnessed on TV. It was opening day  between the Reds and Expos and umpire John McSherry removed his mask, stumbled a few steps away from the plate, collapsed (and later passed away). That game also was halted.

Life is fragile. Watching events like this unfold before your eyes is very sobering. You may read about this incident in The Athletic, but as of right now, he is still in the hospital in Rochester, and no other information is available.

Dang insagt1, I was watching Denmark's game in Euro 2020 where Christian Eriksen had cardiac arrest: so similar. Moments like that underlie the bigger picture: these are games, what's important in life is something else. 

Hope Brito has a similar recovery.

Still very little info is being released about his condition. His mom has been asked to come, from Venezuela and his fiancee from Ohio...so that would indicate he isn't being moved anytime soon and that his condition is serious.

The news about Daniel is not very forthcoming. Even though he is just a couple miles from where I live, none of the media is getting anything. I believe the Red Wings are playing tonite but not sure about the Iron Pigs. I do know that there is great concern about his well-being.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, insagt1 said:

The news about Daniel is not very forthcoming. Even though he is just a couple miles from where I live, none of the media is getting anything. I believe the Red Wings are playing tonite but not sure about the Iron Pigs. I do know that there is great concern about his well-being.

Here is the latest update on Daniel. He is still in the ICU in Rochester. He is now battling a lung infection and is listed in critical condition. For awhile he was considered 'stable' but doesn't seem to be the case right now. This is not very good news.

34 minutes ago, insagt1 said:

Here is the latest update on Daniel. He is still in the ICU in Rochester. He is now battling a lung infection and is listed in critical condition. For awhile he was considered 'stable' but doesn't seem to be the case right now. This is not very good news.

The silence from anyone in an official capacity since your first bringing this to our attention was never very good news.

Heartbreaking, pure and simple.

1 hour ago, ashbury said:

The silence from anyone in an official capacity since your first bringing this to our attention was never very good news.

Heartbreaking, pure and simple.

Ii agree. The silence is deafening, as they say. Apparently the mom and girlfriend are here. Infections after serious surgeries are never a good sign. Wish we could get more info but apparently the spanish news outlets appear to be getting the most.