Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Miller: Several teams pursuing Berríos

1 hour ago, TheLeviathan said:

I dig that the Blue Jays are still in this.  They have some nice pitching and infield options that fit well with this team.  Not a pure shortstop, but some dudes that are appealing.

But a deal to San Diego with Abrams as the centerpiece is my favorite option.

There's just no room for Abrams in the long future of San Diego, add Weathers or Paddack and more, you have some thing.   I drafted Abrams in my NL only league and traded him because of this precise scenario.  Please come true.

14 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I still don't think we will get what we should ... I mean ... hmmm ... we'll see. I think LA getting what they got is a bit ... deflating for everyone else

8 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I still don't think we will get what we should ... I mean ... hmmm ... we'll see. I think LA getting what they got is a bit ... deflating for everyone else

What's deflating about it? Scherzer is a rental and I'm still a little shaky why Turner is in the deal at all, as his value drops considerably if he's not at short.

Getting back two top 100 guys and a couple of interesting pieces is a pretty reasonable swap, IMO.

8 hours ago, PseudoSABR said:

There's just no room for Abrams in the long future of San Diego, add Weathers or Paddack and more, you have some thing.   I drafted Abrams in my NL only league and traded him because of this precise scenario.  Please come true.

Not sure why the Padres wouldn't have room for Abrams in the future. He's one of the fastest players in the minors and could easily move to CF and be a plus defender there. Or slide over to 2nd. If he's the player people think he is they'll find room for him. You don't move the #1 prospect in baseball because you don't have a place for him on your currently 3rd place team.

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

What's deflating about it? Scherzer is a rental and I'm still a little shaky why Turner is in the deal at all, as his value drops considerably if he's not at short.

I'd think it could be "deflating" for fringe NL contenders, but I don't think those are really the teams going after Berrios. Like maybe the Braves aren't willing to buy as much as previously as it's even a higher bar to clear to get over the Dodgers this year. But Preller and the Pads don't seem like they're in "back down to the Dodgers" mode these days. But I'd guess they didn't get Scherzer cuz they're sticking to the "not trading any of our top 4 guys" stance and if that's the case I don't want Berrios going there.

2 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I'd think it could be "deflating" for fringe NL contenders, but I don't think those are really the teams going after Berrios. Like maybe the Braves aren't willing to buy as much as previously as it's even a higher bar to clear to get over the Dodgers this year. But Preller and the Pads don't seem like they're in "back down to the Dodgers" mode these days. But I'd guess they didn't get Scherzer cuz they're sticking to the "not trading any of our top 4 guys" stance and if that's the case I don't want Berrios going there.

I'm not worried about that. There's a zero-ish percent chance Berríos is traded if San Diego isn't including a top prospect.

I wonder where the Jays stand in all of this. I haven't seen specifics about them, only that "they're in it". And now is the time to strike for that team, their immediate future looks really good and Ryu isn't growing younger.

After the Dodgers moves, it sure does seem like the Padres might get jumpy enough looking over their shoulder to overpay.

But ugh, the Twins really have to nail a pitching prospect here. Can Gore recover? Sounds like one of his issues is between his ears; with the Twins generational postseason futility, it seems like that's already an issue over here.

Any chance Abrams will develop some power? He's 6'2" so you'd think he might, but I really don't want a slap hitting, base stealer. 

13 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Getting back two top 100 guys and a couple of interesting pieces is a pretty reasonable swap, IMO.

Maybe it's me seeing the deadline clock tick down, but I think a lot of teams went from desperate, hopeful and/or searching to a lot more pessimistic about their chances against the Dodgers. I think that deflates things. Honestly, I'm terrible at predicting anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot less now than we thought we would

1 minute ago, Squirrel said:

Maybe it's me seeing the deadline clock tick down, but I think a lot of teams went from desperate, hopeful and/or searching to a lot more pessimistic about their chances against the Dodgers. I think that deflates things. Honestly, I'm terrible at predicting anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot less now than we thought we would

I don't think Preller really has the option to back down at this point. He has spent the past year pushing most of his chips to the middle of the table. It's possible he says "that's enough" but that doesn't really seem to be his style and it's hard to envision the Padres' window being more open in the near future.

Having Berríos for 2022 is likely *very* enticing to him.

2 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I don't think Preller really has the option to back down at this point. He has spent the past year pushing most of his chips to the middle of the table. It's possible he says "that's enough" but that doesn't really seem to be his style and it's hard to envision the Padres' window being more open in the near future.

I'm a terrible predictor, and I tend to weigh things a lot more ... cautiously (read, pessimistically) ... but I hope you're right 

7 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

No offense y’all, but I hope this is all speculation and Berrios is still wearing a Twins cap after today. 

Nothing wrong with that opinion, my stance on whether to trade Berríos is completely dependent on the return. If the Twins can't get more than two top 100 players, one of them a pitcher <12 months from MLB, I don't think I'd trade him.

Trade him and get something decent.  Be kind and let him off this crappy team and play for a contender.  I am sure he and Buxton have no plans on sticking around.  The Pohlad's will be able to say they tried with Buxton.  We will get a bunch of great prospects that we will never bring up or coach them to their potential and even if we do when they hit their big pay day they will let them go.   The Twins should change their name to the Minnesota Prospectors.  IMO except for the extraordinary players (Buxton and Berrios) there isn't the coaching or medical staff in AAA or below to help them reach their potential.  Then like I said they will let the B & B like players go so they do not have to pay them.  I hate this team more and more as this plays out.  Good thing is if Berrios gets traded I have absolutely no reason to watch,  I have to watch on my iPad and hate that, hard on my eyes and neck.  If Buxton is here and back I may tune in as he makes the game fun to watch.  We had Sano, Cruz, Austidillo, Buxton and Berrios and it was so exciting.  I don't even care so much about the losing but having players you know and root for is just as important to the average fan who doesn't care about stats.  Players who love to play the game like Rosario, E Escobar, etc.  Kepler is like watching paint dry.

1 hour ago, chpettit19 said:

Not sure why the Padres wouldn't have room for Abrams in the future. He's one of the fastest players in the minors and could easily move to CF and be a plus defender there. Or slide over to 2nd. If he's the player people think he is they'll find room for him. You don't move the #1 prospect in baseball because you don't have a place for him on your currently 3rd place team.

I think Abrams value goes down quite a bit if they move him to the outfield. Though I'm sure some more will come as he's just 20, he has shown little power to this point. A bit opposite of say, the Twins own Royce Lewis, who has much less of a chance to stick at SS than Abrams, but Royce's bat I think is definitely going to play anywhere.

Abrams is not a guy who is going to push SD's roster over the hump for a WS in the near future, they have 5+ WAR players at every infield position now (and you know, Tatis....) , all under team control for many more seasons, and Trent Grisham is also a fantastic center fielder who also is a couple years away from arbitration at this point.

Now, Berrios alone will not get SD to part with Abrams, but the deal I'm looking for is a Berrios+ something to get Abrams, Gore, and another pitching prospect at the low-levels with potential and risk. I'd take on Hosmer's contract (probably a big no from Twins) to help that happen.

This is absolutely a time for a team to try and get a prospect like Abrams based on how his MLB team is constructed (Think the Yoan Moncada trade).

It's a big wish for something like this to happen, but who the hell thought Scherzer and Turner would go in a single deal?!

18 minutes ago, Steve Lein said:

I think Abrams value goes down quite a bit if they move him to the outfield. Though I'm sure some more will come as he's just 20, he has shown little power to this point. A bit opposite of say, the Twins own Royce Lewis, who has much less of a chance to stick at SS than Abrams, but Royce's bat I think is definitely going to play anywhere.

Abrams is not a guy who is going to push SD's roster over the hump for a WS in the near future, they have 5+ WAR players at every infield position now (and you know, Tatis....) , all under team control for many more seasons, and Trent Grisham is also a fantastic center fielder who also is a couple years away from arbitration at this point.

Now, Berrios alone will not get SD to part with Abrams, but the deal I'm looking for is a Berrios+ something to get Abrams, Gore, and another pitching prospect at the low-levels with potential and risk. I'd take on Hosmer's contract (probably a big no from Twins) to help that happen.

This is absolutely a time for a team to try and get a prospect like Abrams based on how his MLB team is constructed (Think the Yoan Moncada trade).

It's a big wish for something like this to happen, but who the hell thought Scherzer and Turner would go in a single deal?!

I'm all for the Twins trying to get Abrams. The comment I was responding to said "there's no room for Abrams in the long future of San Diego." That is absurd. Him moving to CF (Grisham to a corner) doesn't kill Abrams' value. If he's a plus defensive CFer (should be unless he's simply incapable of judging a fly ball) with his bat he's just as valuable as he'd be at SS. Teams find a place for the #1 prospect in baseball. Not saying it's impossible that they trade him, but they're not trading him because they don't think they can get him on the field on their own team.

If the real,honest goal is to be competitive again in 2022, then you only trade Berrios if it makes the team better now (meaning 2022). The deal would have to be real sweet.

If this is not the case...then all of us keyboard GM's will continue to have a field day with potential trades!

Heard yesterday Braves may be interested in Kepler. Will anyone be willing to take the 4 or 5 useless arms we need to jettison?

Talk of trading Buxton (IMO) should just stop. The best trade for him is re-signing him.

13 minutes ago, chpettit19 said:

I'm all for the Twins trying to get Abrams. The comment I was responding to said "there's no room for Abrams in the long future of San Diego." That is absurd. Him moving to CF (Grisham to a corner) doesn't kill Abrams' value. If he's a plus defensive CFer (should be unless he's simply incapable of judging a fly ball) with his bat he's just as valuable as he'd be at SS. Teams find a place for the #1 prospect in baseball. Not saying it's impossible that they trade him, but they're not trading him because they don't think they can get him on the field on their own team.

Fair response, but displacing an established and good veteran like Grisham for the top prospect to play out of position is not as common as you think. 

They probably have the lineup elsewhere to not care, I just think it'd be a waste of his value and he's more available than people think in a deal ala Yoan Moncada, because of that.

But again, you're not getting him for Berrios alone so is definitely wishful thinking.

Otherwise, Hassell & Gore+ like posted above is not bad, but Gore scares the hell out of me for the pitcher coming back.

9 minutes ago, Steve Lein said:

Fair response, but displacing an established and good veteran like Grisham for the top prospect to play out of position is not as common as you think. 

They probably have the lineup elsewhere to not care, I just think it'd be a waste of his value and he's more available than people think in a deal ala Yoan Moncada, because of that.

But again, you're not getting him for Berrios alone so is definitely wishful thinking.

Otherwise, Hassell & Gore+ like posted above is not bad, but Gore scares the hell out of me for the pitcher coming back.

Gore is an enigma. Can this organization fix him? That also is a real consideration. That's why Lange plus possibly Elliott would need to come back to mitigate the risk. I would be a bit surprised if SD moved on from Gore at this point. If not, you can possibly pivot to Campusano - not a need but makes one of the three catchers a very enticing trade chip. It's all about building assets at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Steve Lein said:

I don't think it's been super common, but the game is also changing drastically when it comes to defensive positions. It also wasn't common for a former MVP like Kris Bryant to start playing all over the diamond instead of just sticking him at 3rd. Having Abrams being able to play CF (really no reason to think he couldn't do it) and SS also covers up for Tatis and Grisham when they're hurt. Allows you to sit guys and not have to replace a Buxton with a Cave. If the NL gets the DH like everyone expects them to it allows you to keep Tatis and Grisham in your lineup but not have to play the field everyday. Baseball is becoming more and more about just getting the best hitters together and figuring out positioning later (with the exception of SS and C). If they "ban" the shift things may change again, but at this point if there's not 9 better hitters than Abrams on their roster at some point next season the Pads won't care what position everyone plays, he'll be in their lineup.

I'm not a big fan of the Pads as a trade partner. Gore has been bad for too long that it is no longer just a blip. He needs to be "fixed," and that's not the type of return I want for Berrios. I like Hassell and Campusano, but not sure that's the return I'd want either. Wish Toronto was more in on things as I think they've got the best pieces to bring back. But Abrams is fun to dream about in this awful season.

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

*in horse race announcer voice*

AND MY LADY BLUE JAY GAINS MOMENTUM AND HAS PAPA PADRE BY A NOSE

Ask and you shall receive? 1 of their top arms and 1 of their MI guys would make me so happy.