• Create Account

Jim Bowden Twins/Padres trade proposal

Dunno. Weathers is apparently highly regarded, but doesn't strike out many - he's nevertheless accomplishing a lot at a young age,, albeit on a carefully controlled workload which could mean buying high. But we don't need another corner outfielder, or a middle infielder who may profile best at 2B, do we? Those are the trades we should be engineering, in reverse.

My general prejudice about certain writers is they like to pick the carcasses of the smaller teams in favor of the big-market or flavor-of-the-month teams.  No accident that the piece is entitled trades he'd like to see for three favored teams.

I'd like Weathers, but this deal is trash. The Twins say they want pre-arb MLB player and 2 top 100 guys for Berrios alone. This trade brings in the pre-arb guy in Weathers, and I think that'd be a good get to fill that part of the deal, but Mears and Rosario aren't the type of prospects the Twins should be looking at to fill the 2 top 100 guys. I think Mears has made some top 100 lists, but the Twins need up the middle guys, not no defense corner guys. And Rosario is a weak hitting utility IF guy who isn't very well thought of defensively. No desire for him to join our system, especially for our 2 best arms. 

I don't think the Padres are a good trade fit for the Twins. They've been very clear that they won't trade any of their top 4 prospects (Abrams, Gore, Hassell, Campusano) and if you can't get 1 of those guys they just don't have prospects left that meet what the Twins should be looking for.

Bowden's package is simply crap. This is as offensive as I can be online. If San Diego wants to go all in and discuss major Twins, aka Berrios, Rogers, Buxton, they need to be real about what comes back to Minnesota. Hopefully, Falvine understand this and i think they absolutely do. No bull**** trades.

Morosi is another media guy stoking the flames for trading Berrios. I feel like these stories really only serve the media guys themselves. 

I see the argument for trading Berrios, but I'm personally not interested unless it something like what the front office is asking.

1 hour ago, chpettit19 said:

I'd like Weathers, but this deal is trash. The Twins say they want pre-arb MLB player and 2 top 100 guys for Berrios alone. This trade brings in the pre-arb guy in Weathers, and I think that'd be a good get to fill that part of the deal, but Mears and Rosario aren't the type of prospects the Twins should be looking at to fill the 2 top 100 guys. I think Mears has made some top 100 lists, but the Twins need up the middle guys, not no defense corner guys. And Rosario is a weak hitting utility IF guy who isn't very well thought of defensively. No desire for him to join our system, especially for our 2 best arms. 

I don't think the Padres are a good trade fit for the Twins. They've been very clear that they won't trade any of their top 4 prospects (Abrams, Gore, Hassell, Campusano) and if you can't get 1 of those guys they just don't have prospects left that meet what the Twins should be looking for.

I agree with this--if the Padres are insistent that they won't include any of the four for any of our top 3, I tell the Padres to lose my number, and then hang up.

Now--if the Padres wanted to give us all four of those guys, I would happily send them Jeffers + whichever 2 of our top 3 they wanted.  I'd give them the third if they threw in Haynes and Medina too.