Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2021 Trade Deadline Week Rumors

1 minute ago, Mike Sixel said:

What choice does Rocco have? Plenty not to love about Rocco, but Simmons was good last year and is the SS the FO brought in. Polanco is not a SS....so, Gordon? 

Polanco or Gordon. I don't get the sudden "Polanco is a not a SS" takes. He was our SS the past two seasons and was mostly fine. He's also played there this year just about every time Simmons hasn't and been fine. Yes, he made a bad error in the play-offs. Time to get over it.

Just now, howeda7 said:

Polanco or Gordon. I don't get the sudden "Polanco is a not a SS" takes. He was our SS the past two seasons and was mostly fine. Yes, he made a bad error in the play-offs. Time to get over it.

No, he wasn't mostly fine...he's a bad SS. This has nothing to do with the playoffs.....

I can almost understand wanting to see Gordon, and I was OK with that draft pick, but I doubt anyone thinks he's a legit every day SS at this point.

4 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

What choice does Rocco have? Plenty not to love about Rocco, but Simmons was good last year and is the SS the FO brought in. Polanco is not a SS....so, Gordon? 

Simmons was brought in a) assuming the team would be good and b) assuming Simmons would be good. Neither of those things are true so there is no point to play him any longer, or really even roster him, imo. The only reason the Twins should continue to give Simmons opportunity is if they are going to extend him, which I hope to god is not the case. 

Also, FWIW, I don't think Nick Gordon is any good, but I think the Twins should use these next 60 games to find that out for certainty. Start him 25 games at SS and 20 games in the OF, see how he hits and how he fields around the diamond. There is no point in showcasing Simmons for a potential trade anymore.

Just now, Mike Sixel said:

No, he wasn't mostly fine...he's a bad SS. This has nothing to do with the playoffs.....

I can almost understand wanting to see Gordon, and I was OK with that draft pick, but I doubt anyone thinks he's a legit every day SS at this point.

Bad is an exaggeration. And I'd take Polanco SS, Arreaz 2B, Rooker/Larnach LF as a combo over Simmons SS, Polanco 2B, Arreaz LF if those are my line-up choices every day of week.

Just now, howeda7 said:

Bad is an exaggeration. And I'd take Polanco SS, Arreaz 2B, Rooker/Larnach LF as a combo over Simmons SS, Polanco 2B, Arreaz LF if those are my line-up choices every day of week.

I'd trade Arraez if I could....package him and something in the off season for something else. He isn't a defender anywhere, is he? Someone probably believes in him more than I do....

Rooker in LF? Yikes. 

I'd trade Arraez if I could....package him and something in the off season for something else. He isn't a defender anywhere, is he? Someone probably believes in him more than I do....

Rooker in LF? Yikes. 

I 100% agree on Arraez. You can't pencil him anywhere on defense, and you can't count on his knees either. Not a great recipe for a young guy. Maybe an NL team views him as a potential DH next year.

Rooker in LF? Yikes. 

I woudn't trade Arreaz. Clearly you value defense more than I do. In the era of shifts, I think it's a mistake to trade a guy who can hit like that or run out a guy like Simmons who's an offensive black hole.

FWIW, while Simmons is clearly better than Polanco long-term, Simmons had -9 rDRS/year in 2020 and Polanco had -11.

Rooker did play LF the other day, but more broadly if Arreaz is in LF, then Larnach is probably DH'ing and Rooker is on the bench. So you're trading Simmons for Rooker in the line-up.

3 minutes ago, Mill1634 said:

I 100% agree on Arraez. You can't pencil him anywhere on defense, and you can't count on his knees either. Not a great recipe for a young guy. Maybe an NL team views him as a potential DH next year.

Long-term he could play 3B if Miranda can play elsewhere.

Just now, howeda7 said:

I woudn't trade Arreaz. Clearly you value defense more than I do. In the era of shifts, I think it's a mistake to trade a guy who can hit like that or run out a guy like Simmons who's an offensive black hole.

FWIW, while Simmons is clearly better than Polanco long-term, Simmons had -9 rDRS/year in 2020 and Polanco had -11.

Rooker did play LF the other day, but more broadly if Arreaz is in LF, then Larnach is probably DH'ing and Rooker is on the bench. So you're trading Simmons for Rooker in the line-up.

I also tend not to realize how good a hitter Arraez is sometimes......but yes, I do value D more than you I'd guess. I just think he's redundant with Polanco and the corner OFers, and isn't a DH on this roster (Sano  - who is still here, Garver, Donaldson, possibly Cruz again next year). 

I also tend not to realize how good a hitter Arraez is sometimes......but yes, I do value D more than you I'd guess. I just think he's redundant with Polanco and the corner OFers, and isn't a DH on this roster (Sano  - who is still here, Garver, Donaldson, possibly Cruz again next year). 

I think the likelihood of Cruz coming back next year after trading Berrios today is less than 1 percent, especially if the NL adds the DH. The Twins should use the DH spot for the next year and a half to get looks at guys like Rooker.

Just now, Mill1634 said:

I think the likelihood of Cruz coming back next year after trading Berrios today is less than 1 percent, especially if the NL adds the DH. The Twins should use the DH spot for the next year and a half to get looks at guys like Rooker.

Good points! But that just shows Arraez isn't a DH on this roster, imo. He's no 1B or SS or C or CF for sure. He doesn't play 3rd ahead of Donaldson or Miranda. I doubt he ever plays RF. You going to bench Polanco at 2B for him? No one is.

6 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Arreaz has also been neutral as a defender at 2B this year and in 2020. He was pretty bad in 2019. But saying he "can't play anywhere" is an exaggeration.

Also, it's kind of weird that every talking head around the game was saying that the Twins held the keys to the deadline with all of the talent that they would have available, only for them to trade one good player at the deadline. Yes, Nelly was traded, but I don't count that "at the deadline." I really expected the FO to be more aggressive and was expecting one of Kepler/Buxton/Polanco/Maeda/JD to be moved today. It's quite possible that the Twins prices were too high, which make sense to a certain extent as they'll be able to move any of that group this off-season if they are motivated to do so.

Just now, howeda7 said:

Arreaz has also been neutral as a defender at 2B this year. He was pretty bad in 2019.

right, so either Polanco moves to SS (not ideal) or one of them is on the bench. In the context of this roster, I just don't see a great fit for him.

I think we've both made our points, though......and I doubt we are changing anyone's mind. But at least it has been good and polite!

4 minutes ago, Mike Sixel said:

Good points! But that just shows Arraez isn't a DH on this roster, imo. He's no 1B or SS or C or CF for sure. He doesn't play 3rd ahead of Donaldson or Miranda. I doubt he ever plays RF. You going to bench Polanco at 2B for him? No one is.

That's why you move Polanco to SS. We lived with that combo up the middle for most of 2019 and 2020.

1 minute ago, Mill1634 said:

Also, it's kind of weird that every talking head around the game was saying that the Twins held the keys to the deadline with all of the talent that they would have available, only for them to trade one good player at the deadline. Yes, Nelly was traded, but I don't count that "at the deadline." I really expected the FO to be more aggressive and was expecting one of Kepler/Buxton/Polanco/Maeda/JD to be moved today. It's quite possible that the Twins prices were too high, which make sense to a certain extent as they'll be able to move any of that group this off-season if they are motivated to do so.

The only one that doesn't make sense, to me, is Pineda.......but the best teams might not LOVE him, and the border teams might not have the prospects (Phillies) to get him. I would have hoped for a SEA trade involving him another Twins' pitching prospect, for a better prospect back......but, really, and I don't think this is over blown, they need at least 2 veterans to mentor the young guys THIS YEAR, and that might actually have more value than getting a prospect back.

1 hour ago, howeda7 said:

That's why you move Polanco to SS. We lived with that combo up the middle for most of 2019 and 2020.

True, but there's a reason that the FO prioritized SS and brought in Simmons.  

I've seen enough of Polanco at SS.  There is room for improvement over Simmons offensively for sure, but Polanco is better suited for 2B, IMHO.  Hopefully, they can sign another stopgap SS or Lewis or some other new acquisition can take hold of the position next season.

47 minutes ago, wsnydes said:

True, but there's a reason that the FO prioritized SS and brought in Simmons.  

I've seen enough of Polanco at SS.  There is room for improvement over Simmons offensively for sure, but Polanco is better suited for 2B, IMHO.  Hopefully, they can sign another stopgap SS or Lewis or some other new acquisition can take hold of the position next season.

Did they really prioritize it? They signed him in late January and then came up with the "Arreaz can play OF" plan after the fact.

15 minutes ago, howeda7 said:

Did they really prioritize it? They signed him in late January and then came up with the "Arreaz can play OF" plan after the fact.

Defense has been a priority.  They signed Donaldson and Simmons.  I guess that I remember it being fairly public that they were trying to improve their defense.

The "Arreaz can play outfield" bit is just a means to get his bat in the lineup.  I would agree that it flies in the face of that notion, but clearly they emphasized defense by going after an upgrade at SS.  Simmons wasn't the first choice (don't recall who was), but they were definitely after an upgrade at the position.  If they felt Polanco was a good SS, there's no reason whatsoever to bring in another SS.  Let alone one like Simmons.

15 minutes ago, howeda7 said:

MLB free agency is sloooow. They were waiting on other SSs and had an offer out to Semien, so they really had no choice but to wait until late January.

6 minutes ago, Danchat said:

MLB free agency is sloooow. They were waiting on other SSs and had an offer out to Semien, so they really had no choice but to wait until late January.

And they got Simmons AND Colome for what Semien cost. It seemed like a great value!