Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2021 Trade Deadline Week Rumors

Gallo to Yankees.  One potential suitor for Kepler off the table.

Edit: oops, not official yet but apparently it's being finalized.

Edited by wsnydes

1 minute ago, wsnydes said:

Gallo to Yankees.  One potential suitor for Kepler off the table.

Edit: oops, not official yet but apparently it's being finalized.

That eliminates that Padres Gallo rumor. Berrios and Kepler to San Diego?!?!

Gallo to Yankees and the Rangers go for volume in prospects rather than the Yankees top prospects.

In the Twins case and I suppose most teams it is far better to go for quality over quantity. If they all are OK prospects they eventually end up in a 40 man/rule 5 crunch. You either end up losing a few or in the worst case you don’t end up in a crunch because only a few make progress.

If the Twins trade any of their under control assets they really need to hold out for the top prospects. 

11 hours ago, jorgenswest said:

Gallo to Yankees and the Rangers go for volume in prospects rather than the Yankees top prospects.

In the Twins case and I suppose most teams it is far better to go for quality over quantity. If they all are OK prospects they eventually end up in a 40 man/rule 5 crunch. You either end up losing a few or in the worst case you don’t end up in a crunch because only a few make progress.

If the Twins trade any of their under control assets they really need to hold out for the top prospects. 

Yup, Twins should have zero interest in quantity trades. They have their own 40-man problems already and are saying they want near MLB ready guys, so that wouldn't help.

15 hours ago, TNtwins85 said:

It looks like the Padres are looking to unload Eric Hosmer. Does anyone else think it makes sense to swoop in and take on that contract with a Berrios trade? I think he fits right in if we can package it right. He’s not that expensive either over the next couple years. If it helps us get a Gore and Espinoza with hosmer for Berrios possibly? I think I take that deal. Any thoughts?

If the Twins are taking on Hosmer in a deal for Berrios, C.J. Abrams needs to be the major prospect coming back, in addition to MacKenzie Gore, who hopefully the Twins could fix (I'd also expect another decent prospect from SD in such a deal, Hosmer has incredibly negative value). Just playing around on Baseball Trade Values:

image.png.81a6408988fe31536ada69c2aaca66a3.png

I don't mind this idea if it gets Abrams. 

51 minutes ago, Steve Lein said:

If the Twins are taking on Hosmer in a deal for Berrios, C.J. Abrams needs to be the major prospect coming back, in addition to MacKenzie Gore, who hopefully the Twins could fix (I'd also expect another decent prospect from SD in such a deal, Hosmer has incredibly negative value). Just playing around on Baseball Trade Values:

For the Twins to even consider that, I'd think they'd want to offset it by moving Donaldson's contract. Unless the Padres think they can simply slide Machado or Donaldson over to 1B or the OF, they have no place for him. 

A third team would need to be involved.

1 hour ago, Steve Lein said:

I like the trade a lot! It really sets us up to compete next year with a few FA signings. Maybe we could get one of Thompson or Espinoza for taking on Hosmers contract. I make this deal 10 out of 10 times since Berrios had made it obvious he’s going to free agency. After this deal and a few others after the deadline we immediately get on the phone with Buxtons reps and get a deal done! 

51 minutes ago, nicksaviking said:

For the Twins to even consider that, I'd think they'd want to offset it by moving Donaldson's contract. Unless the Padres think they can simply slide Machado or Donaldson over to 1B or the OF, they have no place for him. 

A third team would need to be involved.

Probably right they don't want to take on his money, but Hosmer's deal flips in 2023. Changes to $13MIL per year in last 3 years, not $20MIL it is now and 2022.

Take some money from the Padres to cover rest of this season and half of 2022 salary, then Hosmer's contract isn't that bad. It's not great, but also not an albatross.

image.png.f4643afafb5425e3a9d8df140eb2bc62.png

2 minutes ago, wsnydes said:

That's getting a little too close to rebuild for my liking.  Even if they get an absolutely absurd haul.

Though, if they deal Buxton they may as well deal Maeda too.

I consider moving Buxton a rebuild. Maeda and Donaldson are retooling *IF* they bring back high minors prospects, as they did with Berrios. Both Kenta and Josh are likely on the bad side of their contracts after this season, moving them while they're still playing well is probably efficient asset management.

5 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I consider moving Buxton a rebuild. Maeda and Donaldson are retooling *IF* they bring back high minors prospects, as they did with Berrios. Both Kenta and Josh are likely on the bad side of their contracts after this season, moving them while they're still playing well is probably efficient asset management.

That's probably a more concise way of putting it.  Moving Donaldson makes the most sense to me.  Now that Berrios is gone, it would be nice to have at least one guy that you can have reasonable expectations of in the rotation.  Dealing Buxton is a rebuild, don't think there's much question about that.

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Can Twins trade Baldelli and JA Happ?

if Twins trade Maeda and Pineda, who will be starting pitchers in 2022?     Twins will be worst again next season.   

Pineda is a free agent no matter what the Twins do so not trading him is rather irresponsible.

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I fee that way about Buxton. It all depends on the return for Maeda what I think about a deal for him.

I feel that way about both of them. They can't have zero veterans on the staff this year, and expect the young guys to have a mentor. I guess they could keep Pineda?

Just now, Mike Sixel said:

I feel that way about both of them. They can't have zero veterans on the staff this year, and expect the young guys to have a mentor. I guess they could keep Pineda?

I think they go hard at free agency this offseason. No, they can't replace both Maeda and Berríos in a single offseason but I don't think they compete in 2022 unless everything breaks right for them.

Just now, Brock Beauchamp said:

I think they go hard at free agency this offseason. No, they can't replace both Maeda and Berríos in a single offseason but I don't think they compete in 2022 unless everything breaks right for them.

I'm literally talking about this year....who is the mentor if they deal Maeda and Pineda? 

I do think they can replace two starters next year, actually......FA and a trade.