Twins Daily
  • Create Account

2021 Trade Deadline Week Rumors

I thought it would be good to have a location for people to just share rumors that we are hearing online about the Twins and be able to discuss them. Most rumors don't come to fruition, but it's clear there is a lot of smoke. 

Jose Berrios is rumored to be going all kinds of places (Mets, Padres, and more).

Max Kepler is in rumors involving the Yankees and likely other teams too. 

What happens with Buxton?

Andrelton Simmons and the Reds have been connected, maybe the Mets. 

Alexander Colome has been solid since May 1st, and has a long line of being very good. Maybe they can get a C prospect for him. 

Taylor Rogers is a wanted man. Every team would love to add an arm like that. How cool would it be for him to wind up with his twin brother in San Francisco? Or, could the Twins work out a deal with him?

J.A. Happ... could they get a Type C prospect from someone who thinks his long run of success and such?

Any chance to trade Miguel Sano? Any reason to at this time?

Think anyone could have interest in Willians Astudillo? 

Discuss these topics, and if you read a tweet or an article with a Twins rumor, be sure to include it. 

Had some fun on the MLB Trade Values website. Berrios and Kepler to Yankees could return Jasson Dominguez, Deivi Garcia, Luis Gil, and Anthony Volpe. Would the Yankees actually do that, given the pedigree Dominguez has? Probably not, but based on the values in the website, it would not be an egregious ask by the Twins.

I am not sure who might need him but Astudillo is a versatile player who can be a catcher which can be hard to find in a bench player.  If you need a pinch hitter to put the ball in play he doesn't strike out much so he could provide some value there as well.  The Twins are not going to have room for him next year if they plan to keep Gordon.  He would only fetch a remote lottery ticket but I would take it if a team was interested because I just can't see him coming back next year.  Thinking maybe the Braves would possibly do it?

I'm really glad the Twins moved Cruz so early because it appears they're having difficulty convincing anyone else to bite well ahead of the deadline... which is something of a nightmare scenario for this team, as they have the most moveable commodities on the entire market. On top of their expiring player contracts, they are certainly fielding calls on the likes of Donaldson, Berríos, Buxton, Kepler, and possibly others.

And if no one is willing to sign off on a deal before tomorrow, that's going to make it really hard for the Twins to maximize their value on any of their players, which makes it all the more likely none of those non-expiring contracts are moved. It's hard to envision the Twins receiving good value on Donaldson with Bryant still on the market, for example. Or Berríos with Scherzer still on the market. Etc etc. On top of not receiving maximum value, it becomes a quantity and clock issue at some point. If no one is ready to make a deal before tomorrow, how reasonable is it for the Twins to be able to negotiate and move 4+ players in a single day?

Here's hoping someone pulls the trigger on at least one Twins player today and gets the ball rolling on this. The next 36 hours could be the most important this front office has faced since taking over the organization.

45 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I'm really glad the Twins moved Cruz so early because it appears they're having difficulty convincing anyone else to bite well ahead of the deadline... which is something of a nightmare scenario for this team, as they have the most moveable commodities on the entire market. On top of their expiring player contracts, they are certainly fielding calls on the likes of Donaldson, Berríos, Buxton, Kepler, and possibly others.

And if no one is willing to sign off on a deal before tomorrow, that's going to make it really hard for the Twins to maximize their value on any of their players, which makes it all the more likely none of those expiring contracts are moved. It's hard to envision the Twins receiving good value on Donaldson with Bryant still on the market, for example. Or Berríos with Scherzer still on the market. Etc etc. On top of not receiving maximum value, it becomes a quantity and clock issue at some point. If no one is ready to make a deal before tomorrow, how reasonable is it for the Twins to be able to negotiate and move 4+ players in a single day?

Here's hoping someone pulls the trigger on at least one Twins player today and gets the ball rolling on this. The next 36 hours could be the most important this front office has faced since taking over the organization.

It would only figure that in a season like this, with such potential for multiple moves at the deadline, that they become paralyzed by other inactivity in the market and get stuck with most or all of those that should be dealt.  That seems very 2021 Twins-esque.  Whatever can go wrong, most certainly will go wrong.

2 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I'm constantly surprised how little noise there is around Pineda this deadline. While he's not a flashy pickup, he's a strike-throwing beast that many teams would be happy to start their fourth playoff game (and a few teams where he might start their third).

And he's trending in the right direction of late, no?  Perhaps that's what teams were waiting to see?

2 minutes ago, wsnydes said:

And he's trending in the right direction of late, no?  Perhaps that's what teams were waiting to see?

Very possible. He was shelled once early this month but has looked good in his past two starts.

2021 Pitching Game Log
Rk Gcar Gtm Date Tm   Opp Rslt Inngs Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA acLI cWPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD) Entered Exited
Jun Tm   Opp Rslt Inngs Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA acLI cWPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD) Entered Exited
9 157 54 Jun 1 MIN @ BAL L,4-7 GS-3 L(3-3) 5 3.0 7 5 5 0 1 0 0 3.40 16 53 37 10 4 8 7 3 1 0 26     1 0 0 16 1 1 0 0 0 0 .95 -0.329 .32 -0.07% -3.44 -5.45 -3.00 1b start tie 3b 3 out d4
10 158 60 Jun 8 MIN   NYY L,4-8 GS-5   6 4.1 4 2 2 2 2 0 0 3.46 20 76 56 14 8 7 9 5 2 0 47     0 0 0 18 1 0 0 0 0 1 1.16 -0.054 .28 -0.01% -0.10 6.15 13.00 1t start tie 5t 123 1 out a1
11 159 65 Jun 13 MIN   HOU L,3-14 GS-4 L(3-4) 4 4.0 6 3 3 1 1 1 0 3.70 19 64 39 11 2 5 12 5 1 0 38     1 0 0 17 1 0 0 0 1 0 .80 -0.129 .12 -0.01% -1.03 0.80 6.00 1t start tie 4t 3 out d3
Jul Tm   Opp Rslt Inngs Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA acLI cWPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD) Entered Exited
12 160 85 Jul 7 MIN   CHW L,1-6 GS-6 L(3-5) 23 5.1 12 5 5 0 4 1 0 4.11 25 82 60 15 5 8 13 9 0 0 28     1 1 0 24 5 1 0 2 0 0 .89 -0.257 .10 -0.02% -2.68 2.80 13.00 1t start tie 6t -2- 1 out d4
13 161 96 Jul 21 MIN @ CHW W,7-2 GS-5 W(4-5) 13 5.0 4 1 1 1 3 0 0 3.93 20 73 48 9 9 10 6 2 1 0 57     3 0 0 19 3 0 0 1 0 1 1.11 0.165 .02 0.00% 1.57 16.25 33.00 1b start tie 5b 3 out a2
14 162 101 Jul 26 MIN   DET W,6-5 GS-6   4 6.0 5 2 2 0 6 1 0 3.86 22 85 59 11 13 8 8 4 0 0 60     0 0 0 22 1 0 0 0 0 0 .85 0.069 .01 0.00% 0.99 18.50 30.00 1t start tie 6t 3 out tie
              6-8   W-L:4-5 5.2 72.1 70 33 31 16 64 12 0 3.86 298 1122 68% 18% 11% 0.72   23% 7% 0 52   ---% 6 4 1 278 17 2 0 4 2 4 .94 0.369 .45 0.32% 2.32 193.15 364.00    
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 7/28/2021.

55 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

And if no one is willing to sign off on a deal before tomorrow, that's going to make it really hard for the Twins to maximize their value on any of their players, which makes it all the more likely none of those non-expiring contracts are moved. It's hard to envision the Twins receiving good value on Donaldson with Bryant still on the market, for example. Or Berríos with Scherzer still on the market. Etc etc. On top of not receiving maximum value, it becomes a quantity and clock issue at some point. If no one is ready to make a deal before tomorrow, how reasonable is it for the Twins to be able to negotiate and move 4+ players in a single day?

Maybe they have the same guys in charge of the clock that the Vikings had when McKinnie and Kevin Williams were drafted.  If they can blunder into acquiring the baseball version of Kevin Williams, I can forgive and forget quickly. 😆

8 minutes ago, MMMordabito said:

Maybe they have the same guys in charge of the clock that the Vikings had when McKinnie and Kevin Williams were drafted.  If they can blunder into acquiring the baseball version of Kevin Williams, I can forgive and forget quickly. 😆

While I've been critical of the front office lately for a variety of things, I don't think this one is on them... they moved Cruz very early so they're willing to make a deal if the deal is right. And the entire market has been very slow, not just the Twins.

Number of places saying the Nats prefer to move Scherzer soon (working out his no trade situation may be a reason why), maybe even today. I think that helps the Berrios market. Berrios is the only arm on the market who would be a realistic "response" move from a contender. I'm not saying Berrios is as good as Scherzer (he isn't), but he's the only other arm that provides a team with a top 3 rotation arm in a playoff series. If the Dodgers or Padres (or Giants?) get Scherzer does that force the other 1 (or 2) teams to up their offers for Berrios to try to stay with whoever gets Scherzer? I think Scherzer going to one of those NL West teams would be really helpful in getting the most out of a Berrios trade (if he gets moved).

Steve Adams from MLBT said that there will likely be 15 deals made in the 30 minutes before the deadline, which I can buy after the lack of trades up to this point. This will probably include Pineda, Simmons, and any of the other guys who are relatively tradeable.

1 hour ago, Steve Lein said:

Wow, Jesus Luzardo for Starling Marte. Were the Athletics that desperate for an OF?

That's what going for it looks like. The Marlins really wanted to dump Marte's salary. The A's got them to keep it in Florida and that cost the A's talent. I can't recall a move by Minnesota... ever, which was bolder. When the Twins "go for it" they get Matt Capps. I think the biggest trade deadline get for the Twins was the acquisition of rental Orlando Cabrera in 2009.

10 minutes ago, bean5302 said:

That's what going for it looks like. The Marlins really wanted to dump Marte's salary. The A's got them to keep it in Florida and that cost the A's talent. I can't recall a move by Minnesota... ever, which was bolder. When the Twins "go for it" they get Matt Capps. I think the biggest trade deadline get for the Twins was the acquisition of rental Orlando Cabrera in 2009.

I'll say Shannon Stewart was their biggest deadline acquisition. 😀

I remember the deadline 9f 2019...we won over 100 games that year.  Be did close to nothing to improve that club and go for it.  Here we are 2 years later....as sellers.  Well don FO

29 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

The Twins have the most moveable assets of any team in baseball and their MLBTR page hasn't updated in 24 hours.

So bored. Something happen, please.

I predict 1-2 of Duffey, Colome, Thielbar is traded tomorrow. Maybe tonight.

Then we wait for Pineda to be dealt. 

It looks like the Padres are looking to unload Eric Hosmer. Does anyone else think it makes sense to swoop in and take on that contract with a Berrios trade? I think he fits right in if we can package it right. He’s not that expensive either over the next couple years. If it helps us get a Gore and Espinoza with hosmer for Berrios possibly? I think I take that deal. Any thoughts?