Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Nelson Cruz traded to Rays

dbminn

2 hours ago, h2oface said:

Prospects. Whooppee. More hope and dreams prospects. Just what this team doesn't need. Back of the rotation pieces. Isn't that all we already have? We need good and better MLB players. Not prospects. But such is the "box" now, and formula. Did it win a single playoff game yet? I guess one just stays in the box and goes for the 10 year plan again.

Did you want Glasnow in return? What competent MLB player is worth a Cruz on an expiring contract?

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

His records in 3 minor league seasons mean nothing to me.   Wait and see how he pitches in major league games.   

Lol .. what more do you want dude. Do you not understand how the business side of baseball works ?

i too will miss Nelson Cruz, but trading him was the right thing to do for the Twins and for Nelson. When Branch Rickey was GM of the then awful Pittsburgh Pirates in the early 50's, he once offered a lower contract to his best pitcher from the previous year. The pitcher naturally objected. Rickey then said to him, " Son, we lost with you, we'll lose without you".

I hoped they would do nothing but this is pretty close. Cruz was gone after 65 games anyway and he really was of no use to this team. There will be no accountability for the 2 pitchers they traded for even if they turn out to be a complete bust. What you would call a totally safe transaction when they felt like they should probably do something. Probably negotiated while they were waiting for a tee time.

Interestingly enough, my FIL flew in yesterday from Tampa and we were just talking about the Rays trading for Cruz.  About five minutes later the news broke that Cruz was being traded to Tampa.  

Cruz will be missed.  Good luck to him in Tampa!

1 hour ago, wsnydes said:

Interestingly enough, my FIL flew in yesterday from Tampa and we were just talking about the Rays trading for Cruz.  About five minutes later the news broke that Cruz was being traded to Tampa.  

Cruz will be missed.  Good luck to him in Tampa!

Interesting. Maybe you could take to him about trading Berrios for a couple top 100 prospects close to the Majors?