Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Nelson Cruz traded to Rays

8 minutes ago, AZTwin said:

Sounds like we got Drew Strotman. Underwhelmed but expected to be

Ahhh and we got Joe Ryan. Like the deal. Guys that appear close to the big leagues with solid numbers.  Will contribute earlier rather than later. Probably back of the rotation types but that has some value

Prospects. Whooppee. More hope and dreams prospects. Just what this team doesn't need. Back of the rotation pieces. Isn't that all we already have? We need good and better MLB players. Not prospects. But such is the "box" now, and formula. Did it win a single playoff game yet? I guess one just stays in the box and goes for the 10 year plan again.

2 hours ago, h2oface said:

Prospects. Whooppee. More hope and dreams prospects. Just what this team doesn't need. We need good and better MLB players. Not prospects.

I view prospects about as skeptically as anyone here, and even I like this deal. 

I love watching Cruz hit. He's been fantastic. But he's 41, not signed past this year, and the Twins are going nowhere.

It'd be the height of irresponsibility to NOT deal Cruz. 

3 minutes ago, USAFChief said:

I view prospects about as skeptically as anyone here, and even I like this deal. 

I love watching Cruz hot. He's been fantastic. But he's 41, not signed past this year, and the Twins are going nowhere.

It'd be the height of irresponsibility to NOT deal Cruz. 

Yup. I agree that Cruz was to be traded. There is a choice of who he is traded for, though. Prospects make for great reading and there is always the yearly prospect book......

11 minutes ago, Vanimal46 said:

Go on? Why?

He has a career 2.70 ERA, 217IP, 317k's - 3 minor league seasons. 60 grade fastball that's touched 99mph this year .. Solid slider and the curve has developed, particularly well this season. Doesn't walk many guys, only 10 BB in 60 ip this year .. 6'2 and has been able to stick as a starter.

6 minutes ago, h2oface said:

Yup. I agree that Cruz was to be traded. There is a choice of who he is traded for, though. Prospects make for great reading and there is always the yearly prospect book......

Here's betting they pitch meaningful innings this year, and definitely next year.  That the Twins took older AAA pitching prospects, suggests they still believe their competitive window is open.  Not sure who Cruz could have fetched that's already ML productive, and has value going forward.  Those are the kind of players a contender wouldn't want to give up, esp. for a rental.

3 minutes ago, Tim said:

He has a career 2.70 ERA, 217IP, 317k's - 3 minor league seasons. 60 grade fastball that's touched 99mph this year .. Solid slider and the curve has developed, particularly well this season. Doesn't walk many guys, only 10 BB in 60 ip this year .. 6'2 and has been able to stick as a starter.

His records in 3 minor league seasons mean nothing to me.   Wait and see how he pitches in major league games.   

Sad to see Nelson Cruz go. He was a lot of fun to watch during his time here.

I am very excited for the return. Two AAA SPs with potential for half a season of Nelson Cruz is fantastic.

8 minutes ago, Tibs said:

Sad to see Nelson Cruz go. He was a lot of fun to watch during his time here.

I am very excited for the return. Two AAA SPs with potential for half a season of Nelson Cruz is fantastic.

Hopefully, we'll see Cruz in 2022. Who knows, we may resign him.  Seriously doubt it, though.