• Create Account

The Trade Deadline - Who Stays, Who Goes?

On the morning of July 31st...  

92 members have voted

1. 1. ...Which of these players will NOT wear a Twins uniform?

• Nelson Cruz
    • Alex Colomé
    • J.A. Happ
    • Michael Pineda
    • Hansel Robles
    • Andrelton Simmons
    • Jose Berríos
    • Tyler Duffey
    • Kenta Maeda
    • Taylor Rogers
    • Josh Donaldson
    • Luis Arraez
    • Jorge Polanco
    • Miguel Sanó
    • Max Kepler

On 7/24/2021 at 10:51 PM, Danchat said:

From MLBTradeRumors, It sounds like teams are willing to pay a high price for Rogers...

Of course they would, do what Houston did in the Pressly trade, trade a pitcher with a huge arm that hasn't translated into being a good pitcher. The Twins and the fans love it because he will be the next ace of the staff, and the team that gets Rogers actually gets a proven major league relief pitcher, for basically however long they want him to be on the team.

Trade him to SF and him and his brother could play together for years

7 minutes ago, TwinsDr2021 said:

Of course they would, do what Houston did in the Pressly trade, trade a pitcher with a huge arm that hasn't translated into being a good pitcher. The Twins and the fans love it because he will be the next ace of the staff, and the team that gets Rogers actually gets a proven major league relief pitcher, for basically however long they want him to be on the team.

Trade him to SF and him and his brother could play together for years

Pressly was quite good before he was traded, which is why the Twins were able to get a nice return on him. Then Houston helped him get to another level and become great.

And are you implying that Rogers isn’t good now?

28 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Pressly was quite good before he was traded, which is why the Twins were able to get a nice return on him. Then Houston helped him get to another level and become great.

Sorry I was trying to say of course teams are willing to pay a high price for Rogers. All they have to do is give up a pitcher with a huge arm that hasn't translated into actually being a good pitcher.

The Twins and the fans will love the trade because they/we will believe he will be the next ace of the staff.

If the Twins year hadn't gone the way it did, and Rogers was available from another team and the price was Vallimont and Severino, I would think that is a no brainer trade, you get Rogers for 1 1/2 and the ability to evaluate him and possibly sign him longer.

That seems like what Houston did, I am guessing they figured Alcala would ultimately end up in the pen and Celestino probably in the majors some day, but neither were going to be all stars so they took the sure thing (or almost) over the hope and fingers crossed approach, and so far it has worked for them. The trade happened July 27, 2018, it has been three years and the Twins haven't gotten much if anything out of it. Alcala was pretty decent in 2020, but he didn't even pitch in a game that gave him a chance of a hold.

13 minutes ago, TwinsDr2021 said:

Sorry I was trying to say of course teams are willing to pay a high price for Rogers. All they have to do is give up a pitcher with a huge arm that hasn't translated into actually being a good pitcher.

The Twins and the fans will love the trade because they/we will believe he will be the next ace of the staff.

If the Twins year hadn't gone the way it did, and Rogers was available from another team and the price was Vallimont and Severino, I would think that is a no brainer trade, you get Rogers for 1 1/2 and the ability to evaluate him and possibly sign him longer.

That seems like what Houston did, I am guessing they figured Alcala would ultimately end up in the pen and Celestino probably in the majors some day, but neither were going to be all stars so they took the sure thing (or almost) over the hope and fingers crossed approach, and so far it has worked for them. The trade happened July 27, 2018, it has been three years and the Twins haven't gotten much if anything out of it. Alcala was pretty decent in 2020, but he didn't even pitch in a game that gave him a chance of a hold.

And this is exactly what I am talking about. Twins give up big time talent and bring back wet blankets, #4-5 starters, 4th outfielder, league average players and tout how great of a job they did. When is the last time that any seller-type trade the Twins made brought back a real difference maker?

5 minutes ago, Battle ur tail off said:

And this is exactly what I am talking about. Twins give up big time talent and bring back wet blankets, #4-5 starters, 4th outfielder, league average players and tout how great of a job they did. When is the last time that any seller-type trade the Twins made brought back a real difference maker?

Yup, I want a Aroldis Chapman, James Shield, Chris Sale type of trade, even a Gerrit Cole, Greinke, Verlander trade.

With Rogers going down with a "middle finger strain" tonight, that may nix any trade for him that could have happened this week. I'm thinking we will see Robles/Pineda/Colome/Simmons/Thielbar gone, but none of the big names will be moved.

I am going to sound crazy but I want to see Buxton, Berrios,  Rodgers, Kepler, Donaldson,  Simmons, Robles, and Pineda gone.  Twins are not resigning Buxton, Berrios,  or Rodgers so get as much as you can.  I know you are not getting much for Donaldson, but get rid of his contract.  I like Kepler, but corner outfielders can be found.  Simmons, Robles, and Pineda are all gone anyway so try to get something for them.  Time to rebuild.  The White Sox are going to own the division the next couple of years anyway.  Build up the farm and build around Kirlioff, Lewis, Larnach, Arraez, Jordan B, Duran, Ryan, Jeffers, etc and the prospects they get in trades.  Plus they will have a high draft pick next summer.  

15 hours ago, KirbyHawk75 said:

I am going to sound crazy but I want to see Buxton, Berrios,  Rodgers, Kepler, Donaldson,  Simmons, Robles, and Pineda gone.  Twins are not resigning Buxton, Berrios,  or Rodgers so get as much as you can.  I know you are not getting much for Donaldson, but get rid of his contract.  I like Kepler, but corner outfielders can be found.  Simmons, Robles, and Pineda are all gone anyway so try to get something for them.  Time to rebuild.  The White Sox are going to own the division the next couple of years anyway.  Build up the farm and build around Kirlioff, Lewis, Larnach, Arraez, Jordan B, Duran, Ryan, Jeffers, etc and the prospects they get in trades.  Plus they will have a high draft pick next summer.  

The chance of moving Rogers after the injury is basically zero. Mostly ditto for Buxton if you want great value for him.

Twins front office did such a great job this off season that almost all of their expiring contracts are untradable.  Happ, Robles, and Colome are basically untradable.  Shoemaker in no way shape or form is worth anything.  I mean when teams sign free agents one of the thought processes are, well if we are out of it then we can off load them at the deadline, right?  However, the Twins tried to save a few bucks by bringing in Colome; I mean it was fairly clear that Hand wasnt opposed at all about coming to the Twins.  I think he is making what? 10 or 11 million this year? Where as Colome is making what like 7 million this year with an option?  But at this point in time, they could actually trade Hand for something but Colome is pretty much dead in the water.  Another example of the problem with dumpster diving.  Had they just signed better players yeah it would have cost them some more, but they'd have some trade value at this point in time, unlike what they now have with these guys.  Now they are stuck with them for the rest of the year.

7 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

The chance of moving Rogers after the injury is basically zero. Mostly ditto for Buxton if you want great value for him.

I know.  What a bummer.  We could have had 2 good prospects.

There is a lot of value in keeping Berrios, Buxton and Rogers. It will not be a deadline failure if all three are kept.

Pineda has value. They need to take the best offer they can get for him. 

I think this might be the sell high point for Donaldson in his Twin tenure. If they can find a match I hope they move him and use those dollars on pitching or improving offers to Buxton.

Thielbar might also be a sell high at this point.

Can Simmons get anything in return if they pay the salary? I would pay the salary if I can get something in return.

They have an option on Colome. Is there any level of performance over the final two months that should motivate the Twins to exercise that option? I say no. If the answer is yes they need to see him in high leverage situations to make that assessment. If the answer is no. They need to release him.

I would release Happ and Robles. They made a mistake in 2018 keeping Belisle instead of taking a look at Nick Anderson. Let’s not make that same mistake with Ian Hamilton by keeping a pitcher like Robles. 

1 hour ago, KirbyHawk75 said:

I know.  What a bummer.  We could have had 2 good prospects.

Good, hmmm, by what crystal ball can you say that they would be good with a doubt; wasn't Burrows one those "good" prospects at one time.

I do not want to watch the Twins put minor league team out there because maybe, just maybe, some are good, or they thought they were.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:06 PM, Brock Beauchamp said:

When he is not giving up earned runs, or allowing runners he inherited to score he looks very good, but it seems that does not happen too often.

On 7/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, Dave The Dastardly said:

I can tell you who I hope is no longer in a Twins uniform:

Colome, Happ, Simmons, Donaldson and Sano.

Make room (playing time) for the kids.

Yah, sure, lose by even worse margins by giving up a good defense for hitless, wonders with high school fielding talent.

Just what paying customers want, which to the Polads is what counts.

Better yet, let the Saints play at Target Field and the Twins in the Saints stadium, as the teams would differ little.

6 minutes ago, RpR said:

Yah, sure, lose by even worse margins by giving up a good defense for hitless, wonders with high school fielding talent.

Just what paying customers want, which to the Polads is what counts.

Better yet, let the Saints play at Target Field and the Twins in the Saints stadium, as the teams would differ little.

You mean the team that has the most errors in MLB this season, the Minnesota Twins?  This team sucks as is, and while there are some veteran pieces I would like to see stay, I'm OK with some level of rebuild.  We are losing now, so I could care less if this team doesn't win another game in 2021.

25 minutes ago, SanoMustGo said:

You mean the team that has the most errors in MLB this season, the Minnesota Twins?  This team sucks as is, and while there are some veteran pieces I would like to see stay, I'm OK with some level of rebuild.  We are losing now, so I could care less if this team doesn't win another game in 2021.

Of the sports I once truly enjoyed baseball is the only I still pay attention to , so to me the Twins winning or losing means a lot.

Back in 2011 when the Pavano won the last game to stop from losing 100 games I was as happy as the fans in the stands that cheered LOUDLY, after the win.

I find the current Twins, extremely annoying but still await each ball game as I LIKE baseball. (what bothers me most is every manager since after Tom Kelly, is to big of a moron to direct the Twins to defeat the Yankees {Cruz's hopping on the baseline like a little kid when he hit the winning home run earlier this year is forever locked in my memory})

If I want to see Minor League Baseball, I will go see the Saints (It bothers me to this day I never went to see them play when Strawberry was on the team.)

6 minutes ago, RpR said:

Of the sports I once truly enjoyed baseball is the only I still pay attention to , so to me the Twins winning or losing means a lot.

Back in 2011 when the Pavano won the last game to stop from losing 100 games I was as happy as the fans in the stands that cheered LOUDLY, after the win.

I find the current Twins, extremely annoying but still await each ball game as I LIKE baseball. (what bothers me most is every manager since after Tom Kelly, is to big of a moron to direct the Twins to defeat the Yankees {Cruz's hopping on the baseline like a little kid when he hit the winning home run earlier this year is forever locked in my memory})

If I want to see Minor League Baseball, I will go see the Saints (It bothers me to this day I never went to see them play wne Strawberry was on the team.)

This team, as constructed, will never win anything(horrible defense and pitching).  I too, like to watch baseball, so while 2019 was amazing, 2020 didn't really do anything for me.  Twins started 10-2, finished 26-24(including playoffs). So, I can see where this thing is headed if the organization sits on it's hands hoping for a 2019 miracle again.  And sometimes you have to take a few steps back to move forward again.  I see hope in many of the young positional players, and since we aren't the Dodgers, we can't just spend our way out of this mess.  We need arms in the minor leagues and supplement them with LEGITIMATE Free agents.  I still watch the 2021 Twins, but only to see the young guys, no other reason.   This team is bad, so I have no expectations, nor do I get much excitement from seeing them win.