Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Josh Donaldson Trade Options

IF Donaldson is moved, IMO, it does NOT signify a bad move by the Twins. Don't we all know you pass out at least semi-inflated contracts to big name veterans? You are always paying for the first couple of years and then paying for hope the final years,

For the most part, Donaldson has been available and played and performed well this year. And if this season had gone as expected, we wouldn't even be having this conversation, But when a hopeful season crashes against the rocks, you have to look for changes/future options. IF Donaldson is moved, the Twins still went all in for some help. That can't be discounted. And trading him to a contender does Donaldson a solid as well. So no black eye or egg on the face. JD is not the reason the season went in the tank. And he will have to replaced as well. But the $ to work with gives greater flexibility going forward.

I do find it interesting that the speculation tossed around in this thread that the Mets seem to make the most sense for all involved could be a real possibility. 

What difference does it make how much financial flexibility we have? You aren't going to win anything with this pitching staff or even marginal upgrades on the pitching staff.

And why would Berrios or Buxton resign with a rebuilding team?

2 hours ago, notoriousgod71 said:

What difference does it make how much financial flexibility we have? You aren't going to win anything with this pitching staff or even marginal upgrades on the pitching staff.

How would you fix the pitching staff, without having Donaldson's money to pay for a real upgrade?

Players sign for money....they'll sign here if the Twins offer the most money. Which they likely won't.

2 hours ago, notoriousgod71 said:

You can invest that money in pitching.  As well as use any asset we obtain to that end.  This team has young hitting, but it desperately needs arms.

17 hours ago, Irishman said:

If Twins trade Buxton, then I’m done with the Twins.    

If Buxton is telling the Twins he is going to test free agency and will sign with whomever writes the biggest check for the most years, knowing that isn't likely to be the Twins, why are you done with the Twins?  It is approaching the point where Buxton is in complete control of his future.  If the preceding is the case, we don't know it is, then the Twins are making the smart decision to trade him.  What is variable is when?

Very interesting conversation, John.  Thanks for posting this.

What is shocking, at least to me, is that the Mets seem to have some interest in acquiring Donaldson.  Whether we gain some salary flexibility or get a reasonable prospect in return, getting out from under the long term impact of his contract is a win, in my opinion.

As I read the above, my thoughts on next year are changing.  It seems to me that with a little luck health wise and a couple players having very good years and/or decent years following a dismal 2021 (I'm looking at you Max Kepler and Miguel Sano), the Twins lineup could/should be solid and able to compete.  That's especially true with the likelihood that with their rookie season behind them both Larnach and Kirilloff could become studs in 2022...or certainly one of them. 

So it isn't a total tear down and rebuild.  Rather, what is needed is pitching, pitching and more pitching.  Anything they do this July and next offseason must address that need.  If shedding dollars from Donaldson's contract helps them get one of the at least four top pitchers (1 very good starter, 1 solid starter, 1 very good reliever, a second good reliever) needed, fantastic!  

1 hour ago, darin617 said:

Would any team give much in return for a player that seems to play 60 games a year?

There are plenty of teams who would take the risk that they'd get one healthy season out of Buxton to make it worth the gamble, as a healthy season from Byron might be a nine win season. If healthy, he could easily go into God/Trout Mode and win the MVP.

4 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

How would you fix the pitching staff, without having Donaldson's money to pay for a real upgrade?

Players sign for money....they'll sign here if the Twins offer the most money. Which they likely won't.

Exactly.

Whether we have Donaldson or we don't we're not going to be able to upgrade the pitching staff significantly to make a difference so we may as well keep the better player.

I don't want to trade Donaldson so we can play whoever the Saints third baseman is but still have enough money to sign a half dozen more Happs or Shoemakers.

I'm curious which pitchers people want the Twins to target with the money saved from trading JD?

Rodon, Scherzer, Kershaw, Gausmann, Stroman, Thor, and Lynn are the first few names that come to mind to me that are free agents but I could be forgetting some.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:25 PM, Greglw3 said:

How about Jose Miranda to replace Donaldson. He’s having a monster year!!!

So you honestly think replacing Donaldson with Miranda will fix things..?...ug

Oh....remember when we found it necessary for three paragraphs to quibble about the word "most" in a cheeky rejoinder? Good times.

Well....there he is hurt again just as implied cheekily.  I hope for a trade's sake this doesn't last long.

2 hours ago, se7799 said:

So you honestly think replacing Donaldson with Miranda will fix things..?...ug

No. You trade Donaldson to get a top 10-12 prospect, a pitcher, and dump salary that can be used to acquire a free agent pitcher like Marcus Stroman. Then you have a strong player to slide in with Miranda plus two new quality pitchers.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:05 PM, darin617 said:

How can we think about building around Buxton & Berrios? Buxton can never stay healthy & Berrios is nothing more than a 3rd starter on a solid team.

The Twins had a dream of many years of contention when they signed JD. Who will be 36 this December and can't have much time left on the field if he can stay healthy as well. No reason to be paying 21 million for a DH for a couple of more seasons.

With Buxtons inability to stay on the field (as exciting as he can be) I would NOT build a team around him.