Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Game Thread: Cleveland @ Minnesota, Sunday 6/27/2021, 1:10 PM CDT

2 minutes ago, 70charger said:

I’m only able to access game day now. It doesn’t say who was injured. Anyone want to fill me in?

2nd baseman Clemente running back for a short pop, Naylor running in from RF ... was a collision ... Naylor landed HORRIBLY on his right leg/ankle ... ugh

7 minutes ago, Danchat said:

Well, the FO did do one thing right this offseason by re-signing Cruz. Who knows where our offense would be without him... just plugging Rooker or Sano into his spot would be quite the downgrade.

Well, yes and no. The couple extra wins that Cruz can claim won't matter much. Meanwhile this is less time for young players to show their wares and determine if they are part of the solution.

Bittersweet day. My best friends finished putting their stuff in storage and left town for the beach while they wait for their new house to be built. We’ve lived within a couple miles from each other for the last 7 years and now it will be an hour drive in Austin traffic to see each other once they officially move in. 

I know I am the only one here who feels this way (and thats fine, I can take it). Cruz...17 HR's, 42 RBI and .300. Yeah I know everyone living on planet Earth can't wait to dump him. However I am not convinced Twins will get value for him. Our lineup is fine. Its our pitching that needs help.

Do the Twins REALLY have to move Cruz? Does everyone think because he is hitting that somehow some team will 'overpay' us to get him? Is it worth it? We've asked this before....like with Buxton...does he want to go? I think Bux already has bags packed, but who knows about Cruz? If Twins totally tank the next 3 weeks...then I can handle the dump. But his current hitting IMHO is not going to increase his trade value. Twins won't be getting much.

The other thing I completely disagree with is playing Celestino over Gordon. Celestino is not ready for prime time and Gordon could be our diamond in the rough. Why are Twins wasting time with Celestino this season?

We probably don't have the pitching but what happens if Twins have a successful series against Chisox? is everyone committed to giving up on this season?  Just stuff on my mind, thats all.

Carry on.

5 minutes ago, insagt1 said:

I know I am the only one here who feels this way (and thats fine, I can take it). Cruz...17 HR's, 42 RBI and .300. Yeah I know everyone living on planet Earth can't wait to dump him. However I am not convinced Twins will get value for him. Our lineup is fine. Its our pitching that needs help.

Do the Twins REALLY have to move Cruz? Does everyone think because he is hitting that somehow some team will 'overpay' us to get him? Is it worth it? We've asked this before....like with Buxton...does he want to go? I think Bux already has bags packed, but who knows about Cruz? If Twins totally tank the next 3 weeks...then I can handle the dump. But his current hitting IMHO is not going to increase his trade value. Twins won't be getting much.

The other thing I completely disagree with is playing Celestino over Gordon. Celestino is not ready for prime time and Gordon could be our diamond in the rough. Why are Twins wasting time with Celestino this season?

We probably don't have the pitching but what happens if Twins have a successful series against Chisox? is everyone committed to giving up on this season?  Just stuff on my mind, thats all.

Carry on.

Well you said it the Twins don’t have the pitching. So even if they have some kinda miraculous second half, they’d be fortunate to win one playoff game

4 minutes ago, insagt1 said:

Carry on.

If Cruz is traded, the return is going to look underwhelming, I guarantee it. I would give him the veteran benefit of the doubt. If he wants to chase a ring, by all means accommodate his request. If he doesn’t need to cap off his career chasing a WS title keep him here to keep mashing the ball as long as possible. 

Just now, Vanimal46 said:

If Cruz is traded, the return is going to look underwhelming, I guarantee it. I would give him the veteran benefit of the doubt. If he wants to chase a ring, by all means accommodate his request. If he doesn’t need to cap off his career chasing a WS title keep him here to keep mashing the ball as long as possible. 

Wow--thank you! Now I don't feel like a complete moron on this subject

12 minutes ago, insagt1 said:

Carry on.

Yes, Nelson Cruz is still an elite hitter. But besides fighting opposing pitchers, he also is trying to face down Father Time. I just don't see him being as productive at 41 as 40 and maybe a lot less productive. The Twins have a lot of hitters who can man the DH role going forward. He won't have too much value since he doesn't play in the field and he has an expiring contract. 

The odds are against the Twins contending in 2022, but what is needed is pitching. I would hope any and all trades they make this year bring back pitching, including a trade for Cruz. It would also give Nelson a chance to win a World Series, something he hasn't done.

Regarding Celestino, the Twins still have three right handed outfielders on the Injured List. When one of them comes back, Celestino should be returned for his own development. Yes, I'm impressed with Gordon so far and he's been fine in center field, but I'm not ready say he's going to have a long major league career.  50 plate appearances isn't enough for deciding his ultimate future. 

Featured Video