• Create Account

Another First, as the ruination of baseball continues

During last night’s game vs Houston, Jose Altuve hit a home run that was initially called foul. After replay showed the ball hit the foul pole and was a home run, I assumed Altuve would then run around the bases and touch home plate. Not in today’s game. He didn’t have to. Just remained in the dugout. So I’m waiting for the next logical step in baseball’s march to ruin the game. When players hit home runs and they have finished their antics of flipping the bat and/or standing and admiring their feat, will they eventually just return to the dugout & not bother circling the bases. After all, it would, “speed up the game”.

I agree that this incident in last night's game was wrong. You have to touch first, second, and third, in that order, before touching home plate or the run doesn't count. It's the same principle as a batter not being allowed to take first on a base on balls unless there have been four pitches outside the strike zone .                                

On 6/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, lecroy24fan said:

After seeing the screwed up call against Bobby Witt, Jr. a few days ago Altuve absolutely should have been forced to run the bases.

Was that the play where he was deprived of a home run because he missed first base while rounding the bases? Bottom line is as long as the human element is involved don't expect perfection and more and more don't even expect logic.

7 hours ago, Number3 said:

Was that the play where he was deprived of a home run because he missed first base while rounding the bases? Bottom line is as long as the human element is involved don't expect perfection and more and more don't even expect logic.

No that was Ke"BryanGHayes. Witt was at AAA Omaha. He clearly stepped on home plate and likely swiped the other foot across it but the other team appealed and the up said he missed the base. One of the most absurd calls ever.

Scroll down a few comments on twitter and there's a close up pic of his foot on the plate.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:57 AM, Mike Connell said:

During last night’s game vs Houston, Jose Altuve hit a home run that was initially called foul. After replay showed the ball hit the foul pole and was a home run, I assumed Altuve would then run around the bases and touch home plate. Not in today’s game. He didn’t have to. Just remained in the dugout. So I’m waiting for the next logical step in baseball’s march to ruin the game. When players hit home runs and they have finished their antics of flipping the bat and/or standing and admiring their feat, will they eventually just return to the dugout & not bother circling the bases. After all, it would, “speed up the game”.

Strongly agree that he should have had to touch 'em all. First time I’ve ever seen that!

Making a guy run the bases in the very rare instance a home run that is called foul is overturned is not where I would draw a line in the sand.  It's not even in the top 20 things for me that could be improved.  Sometimes I think people just want something to complain about.

23 hours ago, lecroy24fan said:

No that was Ke"BryanGHayes. Witt was at AAA Omaha. He clearly stepped on home plate and likely swiped the other foot across it but the other team appealed and the up said he missed the base. One of the most absurd calls ever.

Scroll down a few comments on twitter and there's a close up pic of his foot on the plate.

Virtually impossible to tell from that replay if he touched home. And the ump was literally 2 feet away, staring right down at home plate. I'd say it's 99 percent that he missed home.

1 hour ago, USAFChief said:

Virtually impossible to tell from that replay if he touched home. And the ump was literally 2 feet away, staring right down at home plate. I'd say it's 99 percent that he missed home.

Did you see the pic a few comments below on the tweet? The foot was clearly on the plate.

Players* are forgotting how to run the bases. Ke’Bryan Hayes forgets to touch first as he transitions from hustling for a double into his home run trot. Cody Bellinger runs past a retreating Justin Turner on a home run. I think there was  a third lost home run too. Maybe I’m thinking of the Bobby Witt Jr. play.

Baserunners sometimes jog aimlessly between bases when something unusual happens, not knowing what to do. We saw it on the triple play the Twins turned against the Royals with whoever was on first on that play, Go get back on a base ferpetesake! 

Can’t say it isn’t entertaining!

* not all players

On 6/12/2021 at 5:36 AM, Otto von Ballpark said:

Welcome to the board.

If it makes you feel any better, consider this occurrence balanced out by the many times a batter has to trot around the bases before replay overturns it into a foul ball. :)

Supposedly these guys are athletes. Running around the bases an extra time shouldn’t be an issue

It rarely happens that runners pass each other on the basepaths and the trail runner gets called out. But it does, so it matters that baserunners touch them all.

Didn't Disco Dan Ford get turned around twice in one year and turn hits, advancing runners, into outs?

On 6/23/2021 at 2:03 PM, SkyBlueWaters said:

It rarely happens that runners pass each other on the basepaths and the trail runner gets called out. But it does, so it matters that baserunners touch them all.

The Altuve HR that prompted this topic was of the solo variety — no runners on base.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:28 PM, Otto von Ballpark said:

The Altuve HR that prompted this topic was of the solo variety — no runners on base.

Yes, that was clear. But once the topic became baserunning during a homerun, were the rules of how the bases should be run during a home run somehow off limits?

Back to the point:  It matters to some of us that the original rules of the game be observed. 

Now, in order to speed up the game, we have walks without four pitches being delivered. 

To me, these alterations in how the game is played mattered. That seemed to be the point. How far off base would it be to recall a world series game where an intentional walk seemed to be happening--until the pitcher abruptly threw the third strike across the plate?

That wouldn't happen now, with automatic walks. 

The point is what deviations in the game we want to see.