Jump to content
  • Create Account
1 hour ago, garn from vancouver said:

my wife was going to the grocery store and i had said that i would drive her (middle of the 7th) she said to stay and watch the rest of the game. i'm happy she made me stay home. that was fun.

That's an anniversary pearl necklace right there, Dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too kept a wandering eye on the game but around the 8th inning figured this was going to go down like all the rest.  I went to bed early and when I checked in at TD I had to look at the headline multiple times as I thought I was misreading it and then it dawned on me to actually read the article and I could not believe they won.  My brain just couldn't handle the truth.  Well at least it was a pleasant surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even in the first two losses, the Twins did not give up in the late innings and brought runners around.  The player who showed real unwillingness not to stay down today was, strangely enough, JA Happ.

Already down 0-3 in the top of the first with Gio Urshela on third, Happ lost control of a 92mph fastball that bounced off Rortvedt's glove (oddly neither a WP or a PB) and sailed to the backstop.  Rortvedt leapt after the ball which had bounced back towards home. Rather than assuming the runner would score and making a half-hearted attempt to cover, Happ put his body on the line.  While taking a bouncing underhand throw from the catcher with his pitching hand, Happ slid across the plate to block Urshela's (dumb) head-first slide and rolled onto him to apply the tag. The block was legal since Happ was receiving an on-target throw for the out, and could have been perilous for him if Urshela had come in feet-first (as the Yankee runner was likewise entitled to do).

Happ gave up another run later and did not get the win.  He certainly has not thrown as well as he or the rest of us would have hoped this season, but in doing what it took to prevent another run and get the third out he set an example for his teammates and contributed to the comeback.  I'm glad he's on our team.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VivaBomboRivera! said:

...a 92mph fastball that bounced off Rortvedt's glove (oddly neither a WP or a PB) and sailed to the backstop... 

 

WP and PB are scored as such only if a runner advances as a result of the play. It didn't show up in the box score I saw but I'm pretty sure this type of play is scored as a caught stealing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recall the data that helped influence Twins' strategy earlier in the Yankee series. Inexperienced Jax came in to pitch a critical situation. Some felt it was an okay managerial move considering the fact that it's likely Chapman would have come in and mopped up if the Twins kept it close. It's impossible to predict what happened to Twins hitters in the 9th inning last night. That sort of thing is rare and exciting, to be sure, but because we're talking about human beings anything is always possible. If Chapman is in complete command, he dominates. Or he can only throw fastballs and leave them flat and fat.  This could have happened in the previous game -- knocking the crap out of Chapman in the bottom of the 9th. But we'll never know.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Grasslander said:

Recall the data that helped influence Twins' strategy earlier in the Yankee series. Inexperienced Jax came in to pitch a critical situation. Some felt it was an okay managerial move considering the fact that it's likely Chapman would have come in and mopped up if the Twins kept it close. It's impossible to predict what happened to Twins hitters in the 9th inning last night. That sort of thing is rare and exciting, to be sure, but because we're talking about human beings anything is always possible. If Chapman is in complete command, he dominates. Or he can only throw fastballs and leave them flat and fat.  This could have happened in the previous game -- knocking the crap out of Chapman in the bottom of the 9th. But we'll never know.  

 

 

 

You’re technically right, but I don’t mind them playing the probabilities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nine of twelve said:

WP and PB are scored as such only if a runner advances as a result of the play. It didn't show up in the box score I saw but I'm pretty sure this type of play is scored as a caught stealing.

It is scored as a fielder’s choice, actually, not a caught stealing (unless the runner was attempting to advance before the ball got away from the catcher). You are correct that no WP or PB is scored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grasslander said:

Recall the data that helped influence Twins' strategy earlier in the Yankee series. Inexperienced Jax came in to pitch a critical situation. Some felt it was an okay managerial move considering the fact that it's likely Chapman would have come in and mopped up if the Twins kept it close. It's impossible to predict what happened to Twins hitters in the 9th inning last night. That sort of thing is rare and exciting, to be sure, but because we're talking about human beings anything is always possible. If Chapman is in complete command, he dominates. Or he can only throw fastballs and leave them flat and fat.  This could have happened in the previous game -- knocking the crap out of Chapman in the bottom of the 9th. But we'll never know.  

That was me. :)

Wasn’t just because of Chapman though — our 6-7-8 hitters were due up in the 9th in the Jax game, not 1-2-3 like last night. Also, we had already used 4 relievers in the Jax game, including Rogers and Farrell, two of our best at the moment. Even if you manage to come back from down 2 and force a tie, you have less bullpen ammunition if it goes to extras.

And it cuts both ways — last night, Robles retired Judge, Torres, and Stanton (2-3-4) in the top of the 9th just before our comeback against Chapman. If you use Robles in the earlier game, that could have impacted his availability or effectiveness last night (Yankees hadn’t seen him yet this year).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spycake said:

It is scored as a fielder’s choice, actually, not a caught stealing (unless the runner was attempting to advance before the ball got away from the catcher). You are correct that no WP or PB is scored.

It was NOT a fielder's choice, because there was no other runner on whom a play could have been made. If a runner attempts to advance a base without the ball being put in play by the batter it is an attempted steal no matter when he attempts to advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

It was NOT a fielder's choice, because there was no other runner on whom a play could have been made. If a runner attempts to advance a base without the ball being put in play by the batter it is an attempted steal no matter when he attempts to advance.

I appreciate that fielder’s choice may not be the technical term to apply, but this play was not scored as a caught stealing at MLB.com or Baseball Reference or anywhere else I can find. B-R says “Baserunner Out Advancing”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spycake said:

I appreciate that fielder’s choice may not be the technical term to apply, but this play was not scored as a caught stealing at MLB.com or Baseball Reference or anywhere else I can find. B-R says “Baserunner Out Advancing”.

You may be correct. I know that pickoffs are counted as caught stealing so I assumed that if the runner is trying to advance that the same thing applies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nine of twelve said:

You may be correct. I know that pickoffs are counted as caught stealing so I assumed that if the runner is trying to advance that the same thing applies.

I think I found the relevant scoring rule (this same file was at MLB.com too but the link wasn't working):

https://foulballz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

Quote

Rule 10.07(h) Comment: In those instances where a pitched ball eludes the catcher and the runner is put out trying to advance, the official scorer shall not charge any “caught stealing.” ... The official scorer shall not charge a runner with a caught stealing if such runner would not have been credited with a stolen base had such runner been safe (for example, when a catcher throws the runner out after such runner tries to advance after a ball that had eluded the catcher on a pitch).

 

Regarding "fielder's choice", the summary I saw omitted some important context (emphasis mine):

Quote

Rule 10.13 Comment: The official scorer shall not charge a wild pitch or passed ball if the defensive team makes an out before any runners advance. For example, if a pitch touches the ground and eludes the catcher with a runner on first base, but the catcher recovers the ball and throws to second base in time to retire the runner, the official scorer shall not charge the pitcher with a wild pitch. The official scorer shall credit the advancement of any other runner on the play as a fielder’s choice.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spycake said:

I think I found the relevant scoring rule (this same file was at MLB.com too but the link wasn't working):

https://foulballz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

 

Regarding "fielder's choice", the summary I saw omitted some important context (emphasis mine):

 

Interesting. Seems like one of those quirks where a new term needs to be defined to clarify the play.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...