• Create Account

Game Thread: Twins vs. Yankees, 6/10/21 @ 7:10pm

Just now, Irishman said:

Lyman Bostock was shot to death near Chicago when Angels played White Sox.   I was surprised Griffith let him go.   He was one of my favorite players when he was with Twins. 

Yes, a very sad day indeed.  I think it was a case of mistaken identity.  Lots of California Angel players died tragically.  Donnie Moore (1995) and a young pitcher with a last name beginning with an 'A' come to mind.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good evening and welcome back to the Twins Daily Game Thread fun! If you live in Minnesota you know it's really hot here. I know we have TD members scattered around the globe but right now we might be

Wow, is this ugly. Let the drinking begin! 

West of the river is outside of the provider network.  East is in. South of the river...  you stop and you hold everything.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Lyman Bostock was shot to death near Chicago when Angels played White Sox.   I was surprised Griffith let him go.   He was one of my favorite players when he was with Twins. 

Griffith lucked out when Harmon wanted to play at least one more year.  Other wise, Griffith was ready to let him go.

Just now, SanoMustGo said:

Happ bailed out there.  It didn't look too serious with Kiriloff.  Knowing Rocco, he'll miss a month.

How did Kirilloff get injured?   Still too many players got hurt.  Amazing!   

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Griffith would let anybody over salary.  And I think Lyman had Scott Boras or someone similar as an agent.  

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

How did Kirilloff get injured?   Still too many players got hurt.  Amazing!   

He jumped for a ball after it bounced off the wall and landed on his ankle funny. 

Pitchers getting injured is one thing... position players being clumsy / fragile is another.

2 minutes ago, Rigby said:

Absolutely broke my heart when Calvin gave Rod away, but losing Lyman was also a crushing blow.

I think it would be a devastating blow if the Twins trade Byron Buxton to the Yankees.  They better not trade him!  

Kirriloff:  Rocco, I'm ok.  Let me just go out there and play.

Rocco:  No, no.  We got plenty of outfielders, I think.   Take it easy.  We're gonna need you.  But not probably til the stretch run in September.

Kirilloff:  Are you kidding me?  We suck.  We need to at least try.

Rocco:  Dammitt, K, you're hurt.  If I say you're hurt, then you're hurt.  Wanna try for 30 days?, 60 days? on the IR. Now look like you're hurt and ready to cry.  Dammitt, I'm running this ciorcus.I mean, club.

7 minutes ago, Randy Griffith said:

I forget why Danny Ford nickname was "Disco".  It didn't have anything to do with the ill-advised Comiskey Park promotion, did it?

I think we need a 98-cent ticket promotion like this one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night.  What should we blow up as a sacrifice to the baseball gods?  They're obviously upset with Twins fans for something.

5 minutes ago, Randy Griffith said:

I forget why Danny Ford nickname was "Disco".  It didn't have anything to do with the ill-advised Comiskey Park promotion, did it?

I think because Ford was talented, but his head wasn’t always in the game.  He famously let the runner behind him pass him in touching the plate, and the run was lost.  And Mauch was the manager, so you can imagine how that went over.  

1 minute ago, Randy Griffith said:

I think we need a 98-cent ticket promotion like this one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Demolition_Night.  What should we blow up as a sacrifice to the baseball gods?  They're obviously upset with Twins fans for something.

I say put Happ and Shoemaker with a stick of dynamite connecting the two at their rfears.  Then light the fuse, and enjoy.

10 minutes ago, Longdistancetwins said:

I think because Ford was talented, but his head wasn’t always in the game.  He famously let the runner behind him pass him in touching the plate, and the run was lost.  And Mauch was the manager, so you can imagine how that went over.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mauch manage the '64 Phillies to the biggest collapse south of the '78 Red Sox (Yankees were 14 GB and won the Bucky Dent game)?

2 minutes ago, Randy Griffith said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mauch manage the '64 Phillies to the biggest collapse south of the '78 Red Sox (Yankees were 14 GB and won the Bucky Dent game)?

Since misery loves company, here's a fun read...

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140720_Retelling_the_story_of_the_Phillies__collapse_of_1964.html

Complete with pictures of a young Gene Mauch!

1 minute ago, Randy Griffith said:

Yeah, but I really liked Mauch as a manager.  I thought he brought some outside professionalism and class to the organization. He did well with Carew, too, who stopped being a “moody” player and really reached his potential.