Jump to content
Twins Daily
  • Create Account
On 6/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, Wizard11 said:

I would hope we would take a look at Palacios at AAA. Relievers Cano & Moran should be promoted to see how they do against better competition. 

It would be frustrating to continue to add to the list of relievers that we simply gave away such as Nick Anderson, Curtiss, Chargois, Littell, etc.  It stands in stark contrast to the “has beens” such as Colome, Robles, Minaya, Waddell, Law, etc. that populate our bullpen annually.  We somehow seem to have roster space as well as perceive (imagine) some upside for these type of reclamation projects.  
 

It would be refreshing to see the organization actually vet more of their own young relievers.  They would be cheap, controllable, and still have some upside projection.  It can’t be worse than the annual squander of $10-$12mm on retreads to try to fill out a bullpen that has become a winter tradition with this front office.

You mean like Rogers, Duffey, Stashak, Alcala? 

Of note, the Twins have had a top five bullpen the past 2 seasons by utilizing the same strategy... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Seth Stohs said:

You mean like Rogers, Duffey, Stashak, Alcala? 

Of note, the Twins have had a top five bullpen the past 2 seasons by utilizing the same strategy... 

Rogers, Duffy, and Stashak were products of a prior FO.  In a sense though this reinforces my point that internal development could be a stronger component of our bullpen composition.  All of the pitchers above were allowed extended auditions and rewarded the organization with high upside, cost certainty, and years of control.  In the case of Duffey his combined first 4 years were pretty forgettable.  

I am not sure why Law, Waddell, Anderson, etc warrant an opportunity over internal candidates.  This is not a rant about the FO.  I like much of what they have done.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wizard11 said:

Rogers, Duffy, and Stashak were products of a prior FO.  In a sense though this reinforces my point that internal development could be a stronger component of our bullpen composition.  All of the pitchers above were allowed extended auditions and rewarded the organization with high upside, cost certainty, and years of control.  In the case of Duffey his combined first 4 years were pretty forgettable.  

I am not sure why Law, Waddell, Anderson, etc warrant an opportunity over internal candidates.  This is not a rant about the FO.  I like much of what they have done.  

I just don't know who those internal options would be? Andrew Vasquez? Hackimer? Stashak got a bunch of opportunities this year. 

Waddell is younger than all of the guys mentioned, so I would absolutely take a shot on a guy like that. He was a waiver claim, just like Wisler. Again, all teams grab guys that way and all teams should do that. Anderson is also just 25 and throws hard and has a slider. He was acquired in a trade. Not sure why they wouldn't want to grab arms like that. Law? I mean, he's had some big-league success in his career, and they got him on a minor league deal. Every single team signs relievers to minor league deals and hope one helps the MLB team. Maybe Farrell is that guy this year. 

But again, who are these 'internal options' that should be getting shots right now? Certainly don't want to be calling up starting pitcher options to work sporadically out of the bullpen rather than lengthen out and keep starting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, Seth Stohs said:

I just don't know who those internal options would be? Andrew Vasquez? Hackimer? Stashak got a bunch of opportunities this year. 

Waddell is younger than all of the guys mentioned, so I would absolutely take a shot on a guy like that. He was a waiver claim, just like Wisler. Again, all teams grab guys that way and all teams should do that. Anderson is also just 25 and throws hard and has a slider. He was acquired in a trade. Not sure why they wouldn't want to grab arms like that. Law? I mean, he's had some big-league success in his career, and they got him on a minor league deal. Every single team signs relievers to minor league deals and hope one helps the MLB team. Maybe Farrell is that guy this year. 

But again, who are these 'internal options' that should be getting shots right now? Certainly don't want to be calling up starting pitcher options to work sporadically out of the bullpen rather than lengthen out and keep starting. 

I started this thread saying Moran and Cano would be examples of pitchers that we should look at.  Just noticed that you wrote a piece on those exact 2 players as players to watch.  Guess you are coming around Seth.  The actual start of this convo was not what internal options should be brought up now but rather why we let promising pitchers go in the offseason only to replace them with some one else’s castoffs.  Add Tyler Wells to the list I started with.  Not sure why this view needs to be corrected, rebutted, or deconstructed.  It was just my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Featured Video

×
×
  • Create New...