Twins Daily
  • Create Account

Why do they keep playing Simmons day after day.

He has good defensive metrics but his at bats and plate appearances have left a lot, a lot to be desired lately. You have other options on the roster, I know Araez is out but still don't most think it would be a good time to give the kid Gordon a shot or some run at SS. 

Simmons is being paid $10M to be a full-time SS, mostly for his defensive. This is what we've signed up for. Too bad they couldn't have landed Semien, who's hitting really well for Toronto right now (.915 OPS, 152 OPS+).

The Twins' FO likely sees Gordon as just a bench player, and from what I know he did not play well defensively at SS, so I can understand why Rocco is hesitant to give him starts there. At this point in the season he's trying to win as many games as possible (as comical as that sounds, I know), so he's going to play the veteran most days. Once we get into the summer and this team falls further out of contention, he'll likely get the mandate to play Gordon and other young'uns more often.

Simmons was signed for his defense and adequate bat. You hope he shines more and someone might take him at trade deadline. Gordon appears to be a second base candidate, but that shouldn't stop moving Polanco back to shortstop. I love Arraez, but besides taking pitches and putting the ball in play, he isn't the longterm answer to the position. But a nice luxury to have on the team.

2 hours ago, Mike Sixel said:

They don't really have other options on the roster.....

This.  It's not as though they're flush with healthy bodies anywhere on the diamond at the moment.  And even if they were healthier, SS options are pretty slim in the first place.

When Gordon played for the Red Wings, his 'd' at short was not good. Saw a lot of games. Funny, it was the routine play he couldn't make. But I'd rather see him get his shot than watch Simmons. His AB's are dreadful. Not 'Sano-ian' but pretty close.

Twins are stuck....they paid a ton of money to get Donaldson and Simmons. they have to play even though they are having sub-par seasons.

1 hour ago, wsnydes said:

This.  It's not as though they're flush with healthy bodies anywhere on the diamond at the moment.  And even if they were healthier, SS options are pretty slim in the first place.

Yeah.  I suspect Simmons was intended to be a stopgap solution, a 1-year rental.  

19 minutes ago, Dodecahedron said:

Yeah.  I suspect Simmons was intended to be a stopgap solution, a 1-year rental.  

Indeed. His signing was a few weeks before Royce Lewis turned up to need ACL surgery after reportedly slipping in February Texas snow. Not a few weeks after.

1 hour ago, Dodecahedron said:

43 minutes ago, ashbury said:

Indeed. His signing was a few weeks before Royce Lewis turned up to need ACL surgery after reportedly slipping in February Texas snow. Not a few weeks after.

Yup.  It'll be interesting to see what their approach will be this offseason.  I imagine that they'll, at the very least, bring in an insurance policy for Lewis.  I think I'd rather bring in someone that is actually capable, perhaps even bringing back Simmons, and make Lewis push them out.  Even if he doesn't do that, they've still got someone there that can play.

His OPS+ Over 2018-20 was 94. This year it is 91. I don’t think we should have expected better. There will be some decline. His OOA is +9 which is among the best in baseball. It seems like he has been exactly as they expected.

He will have trade value but the demand will be low. He only really fits as a starting SS so they need to find a fit where a starter is needed.

The Twins we’re on the other end of one of these deals trading for Orlando Cabrera in 2009. Cabrera had a couple of gold gloves at SS and the Twins had a need. They gave up Tyler Ladendorf their second round pick from a year earlier.

Hard to know when the negotiations will start but after missing a few games today seemed like a proof of life assignment. Show the other teams he is still healthy and on the block. 

I agree with Jorgenswest that he value is limited by not being a utility guy, there aren't many contenders who could really use him. Maybe if the Twins eat all the money he could take Odor's spot on the Yankees. I'd be shocked if he isn't dealt but I would be surprised if they got anything higher than a 5th round pick. I don't really think the Twins will get anything in their sell off but that's another point

On 6/3/2021 at 3:19 PM, wsnydes said:

Yup.  It'll be interesting to see what their approach will be this offseason.  I imagine that they'll, at the very least, bring in an insurance policy for Lewis.  I think I'd rather bring in someone that is actually capable, perhaps even bringing back Simmons, and make Lewis push them out.  Even if he doesn't do that, they've still got someone there that can play.

I agree. With Lewis having missed two seasons of action, there's no way they can count on him at 2022, even though he's two years older and stronger. It's just too big of a jump. If he does climb the ladder and kick the door in, that's a complete bonus.

And there's not really any other options in-house if you don't think Polanco and Gordon are the answer. That's actually why I suggested in another thread that they consider offering Simmons a one-year extension now to beat the offseason rush on shortstops. It could be appealing to him to not have to put himself on the market against all the others.